Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

lol thanks mrlovalova22 :) 
    didn't want to pry too much but glad to hear they go over things a lot haha

Survived the AC - just about! 
    Have a general query about the AC centre - does anyone know if certain parts of the AC are weighed more than others or what way do Deloitte assess it? 
    Like most people, I feel I was stronger on some parts and weaker on others...Just wondering how it's all weighed if anyone has any general insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Koph89 wrote: »
    Have a general query about the AC centre - does anyone know if certain parts of the AC are weighed more than others or what way do Deloitte assess it? 
    Like most people, I feel I was stronger on some parts and weaker on others...Just wondering how it's all weighed if anyone has any general insight?

Different bits get different marks. For example a role play would have more available marks than another bit. It is very possible to mess one bit up, do really well in another and get a good pass.

Best of luck!!

Thank you Homer! 
    So hard to know what way it went... arghhhh now the waiting game... 
    Thanks for your insight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Koph89 wrote: »

It doesn't carry more weight than another part so to speak. Each part is graded and it's your overall average grade that scores you. Like homer said, one bad section doesn't mean you're out!

• Advertisement

Thanks Maj! Fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Of those that pass the AC how many do you reckon make it to GV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

stm1 wrote: »
    Of those that pass the AC how many do you reckon make it to GV?

Goinby the fact they are clearing the merit pool from 1509 everyone who passed PCA, medical, substance misuse and vetting is getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Is there any info out there to say how many fail the stages after AC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

You could submit a freedom of Information if you want to know the exact numbers.

• Advertisement

Well now that the 1710 campaign AC is over I thought I'd come share some of the ways I prepared for the AC.
    The main thing I used was acronyms to remember the personal behaviours. And as soon as I got my note pad at the AC I spent the "free time" writing it down on each page so I knew exactly what I had to do during each role play.

And In the spare time between role plays and action plans I spent time writing a small report about what had happened in the previous role play.

So the acronym I used for the personal behaviours was: ....

Applications -- Accountability
    Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Another acronym for the roles plays I used was "ILEAPT"

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"
    Paraphrase (to confirm details)
    Tell--- *The person what you're going to do/how you're going to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

NiK9 wrote: »
    Well now that the 1710 campaign AC is over I thought I'd come share some of the ways I prepared for the AC.
    The main thing I used was acronyms to remember the personal behaviours. And as soon as I got my note pad at the AC I spent the "free time" writing it down on each page so I knew exactly what I had to do during each role play.

And In the spare time between role plays and action plans I spent time writing a small report about what had happened in the previous role play.

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

We possibly had guidance from the same quarters. The report still hit me with a shock though

Faugha wrote: »

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

We possibly had guidance from the same quarters. The report still hit me with a shock though

Lol I made the top one myself but seen the ileapt on posts here. Yea I think the report writing hit most people hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Thats pretty much how I went about my role plays too. Tbh I think it was my action plans that dragged me down. They turned into a bit of a scribble due to the time.

Thats pretty much how I went about my role plays too. Tbh I think it was my action plans that dragged me down. They turned into a bit of a scribble due to the time.

You could be one mark off fast track threshold, be positive ffs 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

If I s aid to the role play actor during the exercise, like state the obvious as in, ‘The PSNI is open to change and to do this, we will be workin with others,’ will that get me them top marks or do you have to say Something in a way that your referring to them competencies? For example, I understand your concern but we will be workin with the council to resolve this matter’ (showing working with others)

Hope you understand what I mean.

Nap702 wrote: »

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

If I s aid to the role play actor during the exercise, like state the obvious as in, ‘The PSNI is open to change and to do this, we will be workin with others,’ will that get me them top marks or do you have to say Something in a way that your referring to them competencies? For example, I understand your concern but we will be workin with the council to resolve this matter’ (showing working with others)

Yea mentioning "partners" is always the way to go. E.g., community watch groups, victim support, local community groups.
    Openness to change I said thing like "I'm going to do this, this and that. How do you feel about that? We can also meet local representatives and see if local people have any other ideas to help."

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

What you could have said was...

“I am taking ownership of this issue and give you my assurance that I will endeavour to help you. I cannot promise you that I will arrest said person but I can promise you that I will follow up on the information you have given me and return to you with a response in an agreed time frame. Ask if they agree and create cohesive agreements. Explain that you appreciate the person is nervous about speaking to police but your organisation is about policing with the community and that it is only with community support and engagement that you can underpin this ethos and commend them for their bravery in taking a stand for their community.

Seemed
    Service delivery
    Overly
    Openness to change
    Simple
    Serving the public

Candidates --- Courtious
    Found
    Fairness
    Reading
    Respect
    Did
    Decision making
    Wonders
    Working with others

Introduce
    Listen
    Empathy
    Ask "questions"

What you could have said was...

“I am taking ownership of this issue and give you my assurance that I will endeavour to help you. I cannot promise you that I will arrest said person but I can promise you that I will follow up on the information you have given me and return to you with a response in an agreed time frame. Ask if they agree and create cohesive agreements. Explain that you appreciate the person is nervous about speaking to police but your organisation is about policing with the community and that it is only with community support and engagement that you can underpin this ethos and commend them for their bravery in taking a stand for their community.

Seems a bit robotic.

Role actor is a person.

My last AC that i failed be a mark was 100% due to me being robotic. A member of the public is not gonna trust and relax when dealing with a robot in uniform.

You can be professional, relatable and yourself at the same time.

I had 5 mins approx to hit the competencies - bear in mind my personality is not coming across in whstvyou read. All I can say is that after almost £500 with of coaching and help from officers etc it got me a fast track. So each to their own and what works for you may not work for others.

• Advertisement

Oh and that’s my first ever AC and fast tracked so I’m happy enough.

I had 5 mins approx to hit the competencies - bear in mind my personality is not coming across in whstvyou read. All I can say is that after almost £500 with of coaching and help from officers etc it got me a fast track. So each to their own and what works for you may not work for others.

My point is don't forget to be yourself. They are looking at YOU. If you be yourself but apply all the competencies and behaviours then you will be fine.
    If you be yourself the other stuff like ILEAPS/T will just flow naturally.

500 quid for this return of all goes well was money well spent.

I am a supporter of coaching, but a lot of the AC stuff is down to practice.

What you do well is what you do often.

That AC I got to I went in blind with no coaching, paid the price.

My point is don't forget to be yourself. They are looking at YOU. If you be yourself but apply all the competencies and behaviours then you will be fine.
    If you be yourself the other stuff like ILEAPS/T will just flow naturally.

500 quid for this return of all goes well was money well spent.

Point notes and I agree with be yourself but il be honest, it was a role play and I played the game. The actor said very very little as I did my bit and then said “so what would you like to talk to me about”

I’m not to bothered really, I’d have s stood on my head and sang the French national anthem if it meant a pass.

Yeah £500 was steep but I went on a few different classes as took no chances.

Maxi or whatever his new name is didnt use a coach. And got fast tracked, yes he did have the the experience of doing it before but I can guarantee he just applied the competencies and behaviours whilst being himself.

At the end of the day how you get to the castle doesn't matter as 23 weeks in GV plus 3 years in district is where you will be tested for real

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Maxi or whatever his new name is didnt use a coach. And got fast tracked, yes he did have the the experience of doing it before but I can guarantee he just applied the competencies and behaviours whilst being himself.

At the end of the day how you get to the castle doesn't matter as 23 weeks in GV plus 3 years in district is where you will be tested for real

Maxi is posting under the auspices of ML515 for various reasons. Someone worked out who my name was in real life and asked me at a bus stop....:eek:

And yeah, Banter is right. I think the whole coaching thing wasn't required at all to pass, said that before I got AC results. All the info you need is here. All I done, again as banter said was apply the competencies in a very obvious and literal way using the 'ILEAPS' framework discussed here.

Also, got my new PCA date. :)

If having a tutor gives you that confidence boost by all means crack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

That's what I think it is, just a sense of being better prepared. I think it's placebo but there is 100% no pay walls to getting on in the recruitment process.

ML515 wrote: »

That's what I think it is, just a sense of being better prepared. I think it's placebo but there is 100% no pay walls to getting on in the recruitment process.

However once you have been to a tutor, make notes as once you get the basic concepts in your head you can just practice with a mate and in some cases just talking to people helps.

Also Empathy I think a lot of near miss fails are due to not showing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I get the feeling that if I have failed the AC it will be down to two things, poor performance in the last exercise (running out of time) and not approaching the last roleplay with an open mind.

Advertisement