Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like in CLONMEL ?

• 01-06-2003 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Anyone here live in Clonmel?

What's it like to live there ? Is there much trouble ?

Is it a cool place? Would you recommend it to someone as a nice place to live?

Anyone got any info/gossip about Clonmel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont live in Clonmel but I visit on business weekly, it always stikes me as the only town in Tipperary (north or south) that you'd want to live in, dunno about crime rates but I'd say no worse than any town of 16,000. The shopping seems better than most places its size, someone else will have to comment on night-life.

ps why do you ask, most ppl who move somewhere have a particular reason for doing so like work or collage so have to put up with whats
    on offer..

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Mars

thanks for the info Mike

just a bit tired of the expensive rents (and house prices) in Galway, so am just thinking about where to move.

A friend of mine mentioned two towns as being good places to live. (i.e. Clonmel & Tralee)

So, I'm just finding out about both of them. About cost of rent/house prices/availability of employment. That sort of thing.
    - (or if either had a high crime rate, as I wouldn't fancy living somewhere which had).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I visit Tralee once a week and dont much rate it, In winter it rains, in the summer its choked with tourists, its kind of along way from anywhere to, even Limerick is a good 75 mins drive and Cork is over 2 hours.

Housing and rents-

http://www.stokesandquirke.com/

http://www.pfq.ie/

http://www.douganfitzgerald.ie/index.asp

http://www.kms-clonmel.com/rental.shtml

If that lots does'nt help I dont know what will!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

I don't know much about Clonmel but I don't live too far from Tralee. While its hardly an idyllic (is anywhere these days?), it isn't bad place.

Crime isn't worse than any other place, shopping is very good and the night life too.

There was an excellent programme on RTE some weeks ago about property in the area. Apparently still much better value than the national average.

thanks for the links Mike, I'll check these out.

embraer170, the slight "concern" (not really worried about it) was that in Tralee I saw security cameras in the main streets, so I was just wondering if there had been a crime problem....

Though maybe this is just mostly restricted to Friday or Saturday nights; - which you're going to get more or less anywhere anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

I live near clonmel and i could not understand why anyone would want to leave GALWAY and move there!

money matters aside, its fairly shi.t

galway is the nicest coolest city in Ireland without doubt,

if u have friends in the south tipp area that different, but i would imagine you would be fairly depressed moving there and not knowing anyone,

money isnt everything.....so id stay in Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Missy

in clonmels defence it is not all that bad! there are worse places! night life gets abit boring, same shíte only a different weekend, however we are very close to other major cities!!! however job issues and colleges life are crap!! my friend ''goes to '' college, dropped out last year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well I lived in Clonmel all my life but moved to France about 5 years ago so the info may be a little out-of-date.

Night life :

As many pubs as you'll find in any Irish town I guess but also has some of the most prize winning bars in Munster. Every town has it's favourites and there shouldn't be any problem in finding one or more that suit you, be it the hole in the wall that plays 90's Indie or the superpub where you go for the talent more than the music :)

About 4/5 night clubs around. Music IMHO is probably the same junk you find in any regional town.

6 screen cinema.

Crime rate:

No idea really. There were a few murders back in the 90's but I guess these days it's the usual pub fights as everywhere. Typical levels of Irish racism though (my reason for being staying in France).
    Catch this thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/t87132.html

Email me direct if you need any other info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

My dad used to live in Clonmel on KnockLofty Manor.
    Vis-a-vee and ergo I used to visit there quite a lot, but mostly spending my time on the manor's land. It is appearantely the largest inland town in Ireland? And it is a fairly nice place although the River suir ALWAYS floods, haven't been there in a while though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

"Largest inland town of Ireland" was sopmething drilled into our heads while I was in school.

Our only claim to fame it seems :)

Yeah it floods almosy every year Sangre, though it's confined to the Kilkenny/Dublin road mostly.

Just remembered;

a) Very good ring road takes ALL heavy traffic away from town centre.

b) Very few tourists (is that's your thing) as it's not really on the road to go anywhere else if you understand what I mean. at the same time it's 30 minutes from Tramore and the "beech".
    2 hours to Dublin and less to Shannon.

• Advertisement

galway is the nicest coolest city in Ireland without doubt

Where do you think the 2nd & 3rd coolest places in Ireland are?

Maybe, Killarney........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

MOVE TO TRAMORE BOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

coz weve got the g-force and the sand dunes and da pollution booyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! and da metal man and SPLASHWORLD!!!!!! what the feck else wud ya want?

oh we have a supervalu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I'm a Cashel man so not far from Clonmel. I like clonmel. Its a cool enough town, alot better than Thurles and indeed my hometown of Cashel.

To answer though, I'm sure Clonmel is much like any other town in Tipp with a simular population. There is trouble everywhere, just keep well the f**k away.

Hope you make the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Some of the weirdest people I know come from clonmel. One of them told me about someone they knew down there who got a haircut for Christmas. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

Not a lot to do in Clonmel for teenagers, but is a nice place to live ,handy for dublin,kilkenny,cork,waterford,dublin.whar more do ya want:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irish_hung_hunk

hey clonmel is ok i live near it in a place called clogheen!! the best night life place would heve to be danno's r else the waterfront the house prices(rent) is suppose to be ok but im not really sure! dere's lots of shops n the place seems to be developing all the time! deres a new development out the cahir road new kinda shopping complex thing!! so that will add sum value to the town! ohh yeah the biggest inland town woo hoo!! there good employment options i think as most ple from here go to work in clonmel! the crime rate is high n sum places keep away from garrymor(the changed it to sum irish name now so ple wouldn't be put off so watch out!!) well anyway thats all i know so best of luck in what ever you decide
    xxx;)

According to this

http://www.world-gazetteer.com/c/c_ie.htm

Athlone seems to be the biggest inland town with a population of 18,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The_Bullet

I am from Clonmel and the population according to the latest census is 35,000 approx.
    It had a population of 16,000 back in the 70's.
    The town is alright only too much scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenday chick

@Pondter since when was there 4/5 nite clubs in clonmel?

as far as i know theres only 1 and thats dannos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by irish_hung_hunk
    the crime rate is high n sum places keep away from garrymor(the changed it to sum irish name now so ple wouldn't be put off so watch out!!)

is that the housing estate at the top of a hill IIRC. i went to watch a friend of mine boxing in the hall up there one night and i was fearing for my life walking from the car to the hall. the amount of scumbags present was shocking :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

@Pondter since when was there 4/5 nite clubs in clonmel?

as far as i know theres only 1 and thats dannos.

Theres O'Keefes and The Lobby aswell. ;) Just the three as far as i know.

By the way has anyone got any pics of the floods??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

KittyKat wrote:
    Theres O'Keefes and The Lobby aswell. ;) Just the three as far as i know.

By the way has anyone got any pics of the floods??
    no pics of clonmel floods. i was too busy mopping up my sitting room. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Clonmel is not bad there are worse and better places to be, there is an air of hostillity, eg, people scowl if you so much as put a foot near em when you're walking down the street but once you get used to that it's not so bad. Facillity wise there's everything you could want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Mossy Monk wrote:
    is that the housing estate at the top of a hill IIRC. i went to watch a friend of mine boxing in the hall up there one night and i was fearing for my life walking from the car to the hall. the amount of scumbags present was shocking :eek:
    no thats elm park!!! i used live there that place wasnt too bad till a few years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

WHY are houses relatively inexpensive to rent in Clonmel - always thought it was a nice town?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Why live in Clonmel when you could live in Kilkenny which is 40 mins away. Probably one or the nicest towns in Ireland . Spend a weekend in Kilkenny and it is always buzzing with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I know and like Kilkenny but why are rentals (relatively) low in Clonmel - thats what I'm asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭farmerval

Why live in Clonmel when you could live in Kilkenny which is 40 mins away. Probably one or the nicest towns in Ireland . Spend a weekend in Kilkenny and it is always buzzing with life.

I live roughly half way between Kilkenny and Clonmel, in both all the time, Kilkenny is streets ahead of Clonmel. Always something on, something to do. Clonmel is an OK large country town, lots of factories and employment. KK is just a nicer place, the Local Authority seem to push a bit harder to have the city looking good, huge tourist trade all year round.
    Clonmel is great if you like the outdoors, hill walking etc. mountains all around you, beaches within reach etc. Clonmel is literally in the middle, Waterford, Limerick, Cork are all quite accessible, Dublin slightly less so, although Thurles is on the Cork Dublin Train line.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

PMBC wrote:
    I know and like Kilkenny but why are rentals (relatively) low in Clonmel - thats what I'm asking?

Rentals are low in Clonmel as it's not a desirable place to live. Not a huge amount going on there. That's not to say it's not a nice place to live . Rents are high in Galway, Kilkenny, Dublin, Cork etc because demand is high as they are more desirable to live than other places in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

Advertisement