Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electroneum Mobile Miner is live

Options
  • 05-03-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Electroneum finally launched their mobile miner today.

Now, users of their android app can 'mine' ETN with the promise of 'a few US dollars of ETN value per month by running the app in the background'

It's not real mining - they just benchmark your device and simulate the mining experience.

For example, my 2016 Sony Xperia XZ is chugging awy at 17 H/s. People with fancier phones are reporting 40 H/s.

It's not clear how those rates relate to actual mining and it remains to be seen how long t takes to generate any actual coins but as a move to bring mining to the masses, it's an intereting one.

Good news is, because it's simulated, it doesn't hog battery or data and won't overheat your phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

meep wrote: »
    Electroneum finally launched their mobile miner today.

Now, users of their android app can 'mine' ETN with the promise of 'a few US dollars of ETN value per month by running the app in the background'

It's not real mining - they just benchmark your device and simulate the mining experience.

For example, my 2016 Sony Xperia XZ is chugging awy at 17 H/s. People with fancier phones are reporting 40 H/s.

It's not clear how those rates relate to actual mining and it remains to be seen how long t takes to generate any actual coins but as a move to bring mining to the masses, it's an intereting one.

Good news is, because it's simulated, it doesn't hog battery or data and won't overheat your phone.

Interesting. Do u have a link to where it can be downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

In the Android Play Store or Apple App Store. Search 'Electroneum'

(though mining is only available on Android right now - they're trying to get it approved by Apple at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Downloaded it earlier.

Currently at 0.1 etn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I installed it. Getting 35 h/s

Can you install it on a load of old phones without having different phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I installed it. Getting 35 h/s

Nice phone, what is it? :)

It will make you about €0.04 per day :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Nice phone, what is it? :)

It will make you about €0.04 per day :D

One Plus 5t. 4c im loaded. Depends on whether it kills my battery or not. If I don't notice it then I'll leave it running. 4c now, 4000000 in moon cents. Lol

I’d say there’s scope to flash a custom bios and adjust memory timings to really boost the hash rate.

Problem is, if this catches on, wait til you see the prices of newer, more powerful handsets.

Oh, wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

This is a great way to brick your phone, and all for a couple of cents/day
    it makes no economic sense.

It's not really mining, Shauny2010.

And remember, BTC mining was also worth barely a few cents/day. The people who mined than and sold in recent times are all millionaires :p

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    This is a great way to brick your phone, and all for a couple of cents/day
    it makes no economic sense.

It’s just a harmless app and at the end of the day, just marketing, not mining.

• Advertisement

I installed it myself. Getting 21H/s on my rooted S7 with Google Pixel Edition 3.0 flashed . It mined 0.08 ETN in the last 5 hours or so. A whopping €0.02 per day :p

been running mine for about 14 hours. 0.41 coins mined.

Im curious what the rate would be on a android running on a virtual machine on a laptop. Would it be equal to the hash rate of the desktop miner?

And by the way you can run it with the same account on multiple devices. But my old androids only get 5 H/s!!

Im just setting up the direct miner on my laptop at the moment to see what the hash rate is. Just to get some comparison, ive no intention of actually mining.

Its going to take 3 hours to sync the node. Thats the most annoying thing about mining!!

been running mine for about 14 hours. 0.41 coins mined.

Im curious what the rate would be on a android running on a virtual machine on a laptop. Would it be equal to the hash rate of the desktop miner?

And by the way you can run it with the same account on multiple devices. But my old androids only get 5 H/s!!

For fun, I set up BlueStacks on a failry basic i3 laptop. At 1800MB per instance, the miner reports 13 H/s. Spinning up a second simultaneous instance at 800MB, it reports a measly 3 H/s.

The inteesting part is that they allow multiple simulated instances. Wonder if there is a limit?

In any case, it's all academic as those rates and returns are far from worthwhile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I installed it myself. Getting 21H/s on my rooted S7 with Google Pixel Edition 3.0 flashed . It mined 0.08 ETN in the last 5 hours or so. A whopping €0.02 per day :p

Whereas if I mine ETN on my RX570 using Claymore I'm getting 720 h/s. I'm with Shauny2010 on this, I can't see the benefit for the miner in using a smartphone as a mining platform. I can see it as an advantage for the coin in terms of greater decentralisation and hence robustness, but this advantage isn't passed on the the miner. €0.02 per day profit for a €200 phone would take you 27 years to pay the phone off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

smacl wrote: »
    Whereas if I mine ETN on my RX570 using Claymore I'm getting 720 h/s. I'm with Shauny2010 on this, I can't see the benefit for the miner in using a smartphone as a mining platform. I can see it as an advantage for the coin in terms of greater decentralisation and hence robustness, but this advantage isn't passed on the the miner. €0.02 per day profit for a €200 phone would take you 27 years to pay the phone off ;)

not for too long

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/31/samsung-confirms-asic-chips/

Can't see any reason why they'd put mining ASICs in smartphones though, nor that a battery powered ASIC solution is either viable or sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

It's not really mining, Shauny2010.

And remember, BTC mining was also worth barely a few cents/day. The people who mined than and sold in recent times are all millionaires :p
    You are correct , it's not really mining at those sort of hash rates it is making nothing. But running hashes like that from those ARM cpus will brick your phone when the cpu overheats.
    And yes I know about mining bitcoin for a few cent made millionaires for some but that ship has sailed.
    Mining some obscure coin today from a phone will not make you a millionaire in 8 years.
    Try 80,000 years :p

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    You are correct , it's not really mining at those sort of hash rates it is making nothing. But running hashes like that from those ARM cpus will brick your phone when the cpu overheats.

You missed my point entirely :)

It ISN'T mining. It's just pretending to be. It doesn't use any resources on your phone.

smacl wrote: »
    Whereas if I mine ETN on my RX570 using Claymore I'm getting 720 h/s.

Out of interest, why are you mining ETN? Surely other coins like ETH are far more profitable to mine?

• Advertisement

Out of interest, why are you mining ETN? Surely other coins like ETH are far more profitable to mine?

I'm not, I briefly switched to check the performance versus a handheld. Currently mining ETH which is slowly paying the card off as expected. What it suggests to me is that the cost per hash on a battery powered mobile CPU is not competitive with a desktop GPU. Thus if there is genuine value to the coin in using many smaller devices doing the mining, the mining algorithm needs to reflect this such that it is actually worth doing for the miner. I think IOTA assumes this value to exist and dodges the mining issue by having transactions processed as the reward for processing other transactions. I assume the value of very many low powered devices doing the work lies with greater decentralisation, robustness and possibly scalability but have no idea how great this value is or how part of it is returned to the miners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How many times does unkel have to say this ISN'T mining before it sinks in?

This is simply a promotional tool rewarding people for having the Electroneum app installed on a mobile device.

Looks like it's backfiring as people are struggling to realise something called and Electroneum Mobile Miner is actually just a mining 'experience' as they have put it.

https://electroneum.com/2018/03/05/electroneum-mobile-miner-made-live/

Well even if it wasnt actually mining it still had a bad effect on my battery.
    I uninstalled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Well even if it wasnt actually mining it still had a bad effect on my battery.
    I uninstalled it.

Anyway of analysing the connections the app makes? ..who knows, they could be gifting a few shít coins but actually drawing resources for more lucrative coins.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    How many times does unkel have to say this ISN'T mining before it sinks in?

This is simply a promotional tool rewarding people for having the Electroneum app installed on a mobile device.

Looks like it's backfiring as people are struggling to realise something called and Electroneum Mobile Miner is actually just a mining 'experience' as they have put it.

https://electroneum.com/2018/03/05/electroneum-mobile-miner-made-live/

I get it. A very slow airdrop that kills your phone battery while giving you 'the mining experience TM' with an app that calls itself a miner but isn't on a platform unsuitable for mining. As a marketing idea it is right up there with Cherry Coke.

A pity the pretend mining doesn't pretend to have higher hash rates or it might be worth spinning up a bunch of pretend phones on VMs.

Anyway of analysing the connections the app makes? ..who knows, they could be gifting a few shít coins but actually drawing resources for more lucrative coins.

I wonder how many people who install apps like this would also have verification photos for the likes of Coinbase and Binance on their phones. Maybe a clever mining app could drag up some valuable and marketable nuggets after all ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So you're suggesting that people who run this app are not the miner... but the mine? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Have mined a little over 6 coins in 6 days. Anyone know how to move those mined coins into the wallet on the app? When I go to the wallet tab, I get a message that its updating the Blockchain, but it seems to just time out and my wallet balance is still at zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Just after getting this setup on an old phone 4H/s haha sure why not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Are many using this app?

Advertisement