Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advise on Portfolio <1k

• 03-03-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

With a modest investment in crypto keeping within the rules of what i can afford to lose. Going long term now not trying to trade unless i see BTC tank again.

I've been in an out of alts and got in early Jan which seen most of them tank since then dreaded Tron etc, bought some Litecoin and got the forked LCC, may do the same with ETC but:

Long term how many coins should i be into with a < 1k investment?
    • Could get into 1-4 at <30$
    • Could just go into a Major like Litecoin and hope it goes up x4 but wont make me rich
    • Could go into 10+ coins at <10$
    • Could go into 20+ coins at <5$
    • Or....

Bit lost if the Alts will just be this tool used to raise funds but never pay back the coin owner like Ripple @ 0.90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

preddy wrote: »
    Long term how many coins should i be into with a < 1k investment?
    • Could get into 1-4 at <30$
    • Could just go into a Major like Litecoin and hope it goes up x4 but wont make me rich
    • Could go into 10+ coins at <10$
    • Could go into 20+ coins at <5$
    • Or....

I'm not sure what your list means.

If you're talking about the prices of coins that's entirely the wrong way to look at things unless you want to play shítcoin roulette.

Look market cap and possibilities for increases instead, try to view one of the large coins as the one you want to build a stack of. For many that's BTC, for me that's ETH, for you it may be LTC.
    Not TRX though. It might go up but it won't have much of a justification for it.
    Tron is valued at what Ethereum was this time last year which is laughable if you compare what both have done in the year since.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

grindle wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your list means.

If you're talking about the prices of coins that's entirely the wrong way to look at things unless you want to play shítcoin roulette.

Look market cap and possibilities for increases instead, try to view one of the large coins as the one you want to build a stack of. For many that's BTC, for me that's ETH, for you it may be LTC.
    Not TRX though. It might go up but it won't have much of a justification for it.
    Tron is valued at what Ethereum was this time last year which is laughable if you compare what both have done in the year since.

Yes it is investing in what might be ****coins now that but i think may have a future and end up at a ETH price longer term.

I am seeing the light that ETH has one market wrapped up, Monero another XRP maybe another.

I'm in to make money like BTC over the next 3-5 years into by investing what i can into what might be worth multiple times the investment.

Yes it is investing in what might be ****coins now that but i think may have a future and end up at a ETH price longer term.

I am seeing the light that ETH has one market wrapped up, Monero another XRP maybe another.

I'm in to make money like BTC over the next 3-5 years into by investing what i can into what might be worth multiple times the investment.

I know what you're getting at (I'm doing the same thing wrt building an ETH stack but with ICOs and buckets of patience), it's just that spending money on coins based on their unit value and divorced from their circulating supply is one of the riskiest ways. ADA is sub $0.50 - does that make it a good buy right now?
    Maybe if it succeeds you'll get 10-20x out of it in a year, if it doesn't you're either bagholding or settling for the same 5x that ETH or LTC could bring but with larger communities backing them and reassuring their value.

XMR is my 2nd coin of choice for building stack, everybody even slightly interested in the idea of crypto should own at least some. It's the closest thing we have to crypto cash.

ICOs and patiently waiting 6 months or more if the roadmap deems it necessary (buying more if there's a massive dump due to impatience -> reduce your DCA) is the best way of growing your dominant stack.

Ignore the majority of the top 100, it's overpopulated with massively overbought ideas for the most part.
    Look at each of those coins and see if there are many that you think should do more than 5x this year.
    It's a mess, the run from September to December has placed a fisheye lens over the possibilities of the top 100. They can't all become $3b - $1t concepts in the next year, it's ridiculous valuation.

I know what you're getting at (I'm doing the same thing wrt building an ETH stack but with ICOs and buckets of patience), it's just that spending money on coins based on their unit value and divorced from their circulating supply is one of the riskiest ways. ADA is sub $0.50 - does that make it a good buy right now?
    Maybe if it succeeds you'll get 10-20x out of it in a year, if it doesn't you're either bagholding or settling for the same 5x that ETH or LTC could bring but with larger communities backing them and reassuring their value.

XMR is my 2nd coin of choice for building stack, everybody even slightly interested in the idea of crypto should own at least some. It's the closest thing we have to crypto cash.

ICOs and patiently waiting 6 months or more if the roadmap deems it necessary (buying more if there's a massive dump due to impatience -> reduce your DCA) is the best way of growing your dominant stack.

Ignore the majority of the top 100, it's overpopulated with massively overbought ideas for the most part.
    Look at each of those coins and see if there are many that you think should do more than 5x this year.
    It's a mess, the run from September to December has placed a fisheye lens over the possibilities of the top 100. They can't all become $3b - $1t concepts in the next year, it's ridiculous valuation.

Yes this is where i am at go into owning abit or a couple of a BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC or split it all up into Alts that may boom up.

ICO's appear to be a mine field.
    HODL gang mentality on Alts appears to be a 1 in 20 might still exist this time next year at the rate they are appearing.

Yes this is where i am at go into owning abit or a couple of a BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC or split it all up into Alts that may boom up.

ICO's appear to be a mine field.
    HODL gang mentality on Alts appears to be a 1 in 20 might still exist this time next year at the rate they are appearing.

Yeah but HODL gang mentality exists around every idea, the terrible and the great - you have to research which ones aren't and which ones are. Otherwise we end up with a shill thread or people playing the part of financial advisors hoping to drop bags on heads.
    ICOs are a minefield because every last one gets shilled to high heavens even if there's nothing worthwhile there. Read a whitepaper every once in a while.
    Seele? Shilled to the max, has an incomprehensibly jingoistic lowest common denominator-straddling whitepaper which amounts to sweet FA.
    BAT? Great whitepaper, great devs explaining what they'd like to do every step of the way (this is me half-shilling BAT btw - I think it'll grow but it's already surpassed 10x from ICO so it's a less profitable bet now - I'm greedy and think this specific team can pull it off long term. Any other team with less cred and I would have pulled out a while back)

Boards and other chronological forums like it have the opportunity to supercede the ephemeral nature of Reddit's hype machine with it's inherent bot-shilling or vote-rigging and the like, so when somebody is thinking of an ICO it would make sense for them to make a thread about it and if people justifiably crap on the idea we can all get a sense of whether or not it's a good bet or not.
    If people can't find a good reason to dislike a coin/token and it has a utility that benefits from decentralisation, that's where people should take notice.

This is one of the few things BB forums can do better than reddit, people should use it that way.

The coins you list in first sentence are "safe" bets. Nothing wrong with them, just less gains available and they're the ones you should be trying to build a stack of. Which coins could outpace them in the short term? That's what you have to keep a mind of.
    If you imagine (bullishly) that BTC or ETH can 10x within a year you have to think about what combo could do that or more within the year. Personally I never buy an idea I don't like, I never buy into something I think is very overvalued (hard to do now, because almost everything is), I have a spreadsheet with roadmaps overlapping so I have a basic idea of when each should appreciate in value (with this market and the green candle chasers this often happens sooner than I would have imagined) and I keep up to date on everything I'm even minorly interested in, even if I haven't bought it yet but it still has development going on in the background but no marketing.

• Advertisement

If you imagine (bullishly) that BTC or ETH can 10x within a year you have to think about what combo could do that or more within the year. Personally I never buy an idea I don't like, I never buy into something I think is very overvalued (hard to do now, because almost everything is), I have a spreadsheet with roadmaps overlapping so I have a basic idea of when each should appreciate in value (with this market and the green candle chasers this often happens sooner than I would have imagined) and I keep up to date on everything I'm even minorly interested in, even if I haven't bought it yet but it still has development going on in the background but no marketing.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
    I would also add NEO to that list as the Gas airdrop is a nice addition for holding.
    Back to the limited <1K investment I am thinking forget the how much but more about the % i go into each so like 50% into a Major solid coin and the other 50% into Alts that i like(maybe even BAT).
    And then add to them as i can and as they dip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've invested ~1k.

I was putting in £125 a fortnight over from October to January. I've slowed down since then and will make a decision on whether I want to resume or stick with my small investment.

Breakdown of current portfolio is as follows but it's not an accurate depiction of how I spread my purchases.

BTC 40%
    XRP 20%
    ETH 15%
    LTC 15%
    XLM 5%
    Other 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've invested ~1k.

I was putting in £125 a fortnight over from October to January. I've slowed down since then and will make a decision on whether I want to resume or stick with my small investment.

Breakdown of current portfolio is as follows but it's not an accurate depiction of how I spread my purchases.

BTC 40%
    XRP 20%
    ETH 15%
    LTC 15%
    XLM 5%
    Other 5%

For someone investing now in cryptos I don't think you'll get explosive returns from BTC,XRP,ETH or LTC
    XLM, maybe as it has a fairer distribution but in reality all those cryptos the Train has left the station. And XRP should not even be considered!!
    You should look into less developed projects.
    EOS springs to mind as it has yet to launch its network and is still going through the ICO period and runs till mid 2018. You can invest directly from their homepage or just buy the tokens trading on the likes of kraken.
    I suspect that when the ICO is finished and they lanch their network it will arrive like an atomic bomb on the crypto scene.
    By then we will have 3 main systems Ethereum, Neo and Eos competing for market share. All 3 can exist and flourish.

I stopped buying BTC, ETH since last july and have mainly been buying Neo but Ive diversed into EOS lately too.
    Bitcoin has the Use case as a store of wealth which is fine, but we are a long way from having a crypto to use as cash, I doubt theres even a demand for it at the moment.
    DApps, ICOs and smart contracts is where the future lies

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    For someone investing now in cryptos I don't think you'll get explosive returns from BTC,XRP,ETH or LTC
    XLM, maybe as it has a fairer distribution but in reality all those cryptos the Train has left the station. And XRP should not even be considered!!
    You should look into less developed projects.
    EOS springs to mind as it has yet to launch its network and is still going through the ICO period and runs till mid 2018. You can invest directly from their homepage or just buy the tokens trading on the likes of kraken.
    I suspect that when the ICO is finished and they lanch their network it will arrive like an atomic bomb on the crypto scene.
    By then we will have 3 main systems Ethereum, Neo and Eos competing for market share. All 3 can exist and flourish.

I stopped buying BTC, ETH since last july and have mainly been buying Neo but Ive diversed into EOS lately too.
    Bitcoin has the Use case as a store of wealth which is fine, but we are a long way from having a crypto to use as cash, I doubt theres even a demand for it at the moment.
    DApps, ICOs and smart contracts is where the future lies

Pretty much where I am heading with NEO and EOS is one I have owned but it’s all about picking the one that will take market share from the established like will Neo or EOs >than Eth with its community behind it?

Advertisement