Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now TV?

• 29-08-2017 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Anyone used this yet? Is it a simple account set up? Seeing as there are a few earlier Saturday matches this year in the European champions cup I was thinking of trying it out for one or two of them.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I had it for a month during the lions tour.

The inability to chrome cast would be a major negative for me. Also, it's not bloody cheap... 50 quid per month (half price cost month)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

Right, I see it can be used through PS4 though so that could be a handy option for me.
    50 lids a month is pricey enough. I saw something along the likes of 20 quid for a night, which although expensive isn't to bad if its only every so often. A day out at the RDS could run up to 4 times that with a few pints and the rest

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

10 for a day, 15 for a week.

I assume that's all sky sports channels for that.

Leinster are on BT a lot though, 6 times at least.

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's deliberately expensive cause Sky would prefer that you subscribe to their TV channels.

But if you just watch the odd thing it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

PMC83 wrote: »
    Right, I see it can be used through PS4 though so that could be a handy option for me.
    50 lids a month is pricey enough. I saw something along the likes of 20 quid for a night, which although expensive isn't to bad if its only every so often. A day out at the RDS could run up to 4 times that with a few pints and the rest

It is still a poor option. The streams are only in SD and there is no Chromecast support.

A lot of users have reported buffering issues and problems with customer service.

• Advertisement

It is still a poor option. The streams are only in SD and there is no Chromecast support.

A lot of users have reported buffering issues and problems with customer service.

Buffering issues? That I don't like so much! Though for 10 quid for a night I will defo try it at least once

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It does 720p which is not brilliant but it's also much better than SD. And if used via a PS4 then casting shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Anyone buy the box and try to cancel subscription, would be interested in this just because you can buy it for a week every now and then but I do not like the idea of buying a box with a free months pass and then having to cancel it or else it will roll over just like a normal contract, anyone buy the box and cancel the pass ? How easy is it to cancel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I subscribed for GoT. It's amazing there's no Chromecast support. I used the PS4 app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Works very well for me. Only subscribe to the weeks/month according to my needs, but despite being expensive compared to UK (and I guess this will equalise in time) it still works out comfortably cheaper than a full year round sky subscription.
    As a service it works very well with the Now TV box, better than the old Sky Go system, and having it on phone or laptop when travelling (only valid on this island though) is also handy (saw the 2nd Lions test while stuck on a plane on the tarmac in Dublin airport).
    Recommended to be honest, despite the perception of Sky as the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Anyone buy the box and try to cancel subscription, would be interested in this just because you can buy it for a week every now and then but I do not like the idea of buying a box with a free months pass and then having to cancel it or else it will roll over just like a normal contract, anyone buy the box and cancel the pass ? How easy is it to cancel ?

Very easy. Switch renewal on and off with a click through your account page. When off, it remains active until the end of that period. You can switch it back on at any time for the day, week, or month options. Or leave it on if you want it to automatically renew at the next date for the same period (ie. a monthly one will renew for another next 30 days). You can switch in and out as often as you wish - at least I have encountered any restrictions yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I subscribed for GoT. It's amazing there's no Chromecast support. I used the PS4 app.

It's done purposely, if there was Chromecast support there'd be less of a demand for their TV products.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's done purposely, if there was Chromecast support there'd be less of a demand for their TV products.

Chromecast is available in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Thanks for the replys, any issues with buffering or does it run smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Chromecast is available in the UK.

Wasn't when I was living there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Wasn't when I was living there

It certainly is now... Cant screenshot the app, but it's the main reason I bought a chromecast!

Seems very odd it's not enabled south of the border!

Watching Leinster V Cheetas (doh!) on it now, HD and streams perfectly. My internet connection is nothing special, but no buffering issues. Quick setup so my revisit again at the occasional price of 10 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can you download to a Android box connected to a TV, and what do you get besides sport ?

Not sure tbh, I'm just watching on my desktop here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Unblinkered

What is the simplest way to set this up? Can I simply pay the sub. for a week and stream it to my TV? Trying to cantact an actual person there is like trying to get an audience with the Pope

What is the simplest way to set this up? Can I simply pay the sub. for a week and stream it to my TV? Trying to cantact an actual person there is like trying to get an audience with the Pope

You can now Chromecast it from the android app.
    Not sure what the quality is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Unblinkered

Only have an HP laptop and an Apple Ipad and surface notepad. Will it work on any of these? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Only have an HP laptop and an Apple Ipad and surface notepad. Will it work on any of these? Thanks

Yes

https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

I've bought a few passes now, its decent enough. I suppose comes down to your connection. I will say it has streamed better on my desktop. I have the app on my smart TV and it there is occasional buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I got now tv this morning due to the lack of NH rugby on this weekend. The Blues v Chiefs game vindicated my decision. Typical SH game, great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    10 for a day, 15 for a week.

I assume that's all sky sports channels for that.

Leinster are on BT a lot though, 6 times at least.

I heard that Now TV are planning on having the BT channels in 2019 but could be wrong about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

Very easy, just cancel it in your account settings. It will keep going until your month is up. You can buy a new pass when you like after that

Advertisement