Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overrated GAA Players

• 01-03-2018 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Snow has me bored stiff so said I'd try get a thread going, hope this doesn't count as player bashing I think it's a discussion worth having. I have immense respect for all of our amateur sportsmen and it would be great if all posters treat them the same if they are going to comment.

I see many people talking about Lar Corbett after the Laochra Gael last night, but I always felt he was overrated. Had a great day in 2010 (and fair play to him), but I think this is the main reason why he's rated so highly, he rarely reached these heights otherwise.

From a football POV I can't help but feel Stephen Cluxton's influence on the Dublin team is overstated, along with the assertion that he "revolutionised the position of goalkeeper". A fine steady keeper with very accurate kickouts, an important cog in the Dublin machine, but no more important than the other 14 in my opinion.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Snow has me bored stiff so said I'd try get a thread going, hope this doesn't count as player bashing I think it's a discussion worth having. I have immense respect for all of our amateur sportsmen and it would be great if all posters treat them the same if they are going to comment.

I see many people talking about Lar Corbett after the Laochra Gael last night, but I always felt he was overrated. Had a great day in 2010 (and fair play to him), but I think this is the main reason why he's rated so highly, he rarely reached these heights otherwise.

From a football POV I can't help but feel Stephen Cluxton's influence on the Dublin team is overstated, along with the assertion that he "revolutionised the position of goalkeeper". A fine steady keeper with very accurate kickouts, an important cog in the Dublin machine, but no more important than the other 14 in my opinion.

What do you think?

I'll indulge you. Cillian, misses frees on the big occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I never bought into the Cluxton thing either. I mean he sure had an accurate kick out but the outfield players had to make the space for him to kick into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'll indulge you. Cillian, misses frees on the big occasions.

As a free taker he's the best in the country imo (yes, above Dean Rock), but his overall game leaves a lot to be desired at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As a free taker he's the best in the country imo (yes, above Dean Rock), but his overall game leaves a lot to be desired at times.

As has been proven on the big occasion both Rock and Cluxton have passed the test, Cillian hasn't.
    And that is just in relation to kicking frees or 45s.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

No way is here better than Rock. O Connor has missed 2 frees in 2 successive all Ireland's when the pressure was huge. Rock hasn't.

• Advertisement

What do you think?

I'd agree on Corbett. He never seemed like the kind of unstoppable force that other players featured on Laochra Gael were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If you don’t think cluxton is at least the greatest Gaelic football goalkeeper of all time then I wouldn’t take anything you’d say seriously. Just my opinion. Perhaps you are right but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If you don’t think cluxton is at least the greatest Gaelic football goalkeeper of all time then I wouldn’t take anything you’d say seriously. Just my opinion. Perhaps you are right but I doubt it.

Agreed, he’ll never be fit to lace Martin Furlong’s boots.

I had a look at this team
    https://www.todayfm.com/skysports
    and I'd be reaching if I was to pick an overrated player on it. The greats on that team I think merit it and I don't know if I could find an overrated player on it. I don't rate McGeeney as high as moynihan but McGeeney still isn't overrated in the media as he's not spoken about in the same vein as "legends" like Gooch.

I think Michael Murphy fits the overrated bill. He drifts around too much to totally own and dominate games, yet I've heard him mentioned by plenty of players and managers in interviews as one of the best in the country. But I don't consistently see it. He's very talented but I think he's overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Would goalkeepers still be hoofing it up the middle if Dublin had a different goalkeeper the last 10 years?........ No way would they. The push towards securing greater control of possession was happening with or without Cluxton.

Great exponent though and even without the assertion that he's single handedly changed the game he still deserves to be thought of as one of the best ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

I might get slated for this but I think Ciaran Kilkenny is over-rated. Don't get me wrong, he is a fine footballer and impressive athlete but the level of praise he has received over that past two seasons has been a bit generous. Links with footballer of the year and suggestions that he is Dublin's most important player are over the mark I think. Worthy of his place in a top class team but no better than the rest of Dublin's numerous top class forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Colm Cooper

* legs it *

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Aidan O Shea

yogi37 wrote: »
    I might get slated for this but I think Ciaran Kilkenny is over-rated. Don't get me wrong, he is a fine footballer and impressive athlete but the level of praise he has received over that past two seasons has been a bit generous. Links with footballer of the year and suggestions that he is Dublin's most important player are over the mark I think. Worthy of his place in a top class team but no better than the rest of Dublin's numerous top class forwards.

100% agree. Over the years he has carried so much ball laterally and handpasses it backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I actually felt lad Corbett was underrated. In particular when sheet came in he just kept scoring (not just 2010!). And yet people always seemed determined to point out that he wasn't that good. For a few years, his scoring was similar to Mullahs at his best.

One it always annoyed me for being overrated was Henry Shefflin. Having seen him for all of his career, I can say he's one of the best hurlers I've seen. You could make a good case for him being the best. There's probably 7 or 8 hurlers I'd include in that list. But for years if you suggested he wasn't the best of this era and probably all time you were attacked for knowing nothing about hurling and not understanding it's not all about scoring and his contribution was what I was missing. I wasn't missing it! There were just other players who were also brilliant!

Aidan O Shea

I think he gets as much criticism as praise so I don't know is he overrated as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Connolly, awesome footballer on his day in fairness but doesn’t do it often enough and has an awful tendency to let his team down with petulant sendings off. Many people seem to rate him as one of the best ever but I don’t think he is anywhere near that good quite frankly. I’d take Paul Flynn over him any day of the week.

Aidan O’Shea as well, although there are so many questioning him at this stage that I’m not sure he is overrated any more. Fine footballer, but often fades out of important games when Mayo need him to step up. He has probably suffered a bit with being moved around and Mayo not knowing how to get the best out of him, on his day he is brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I’m going to be controversial and say Cian O Sullivan for Dublin. I think he’s protected by the pace and athleticism of the other Dublin defenders and that he isn’t nearly as dynamic as the others.

He plays an important role for Dublin but I think he’s a defender that a lot of forwards would get the better of if it wasn’t for the quality of the rest of the Dublin team.

In short, the other Dublin players make him look better than he actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Most of the players been mentioned are the best in the country.

If I had to pick one I’d pick eoin cadogan, if had to pick two I’d pick cadogan and Brian Hurley. Both cork but to be honest if I had to pick a few more they’d be mainly from cork aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Shefflin was always overrated. Good from places balls but was nowhere near as good as people made out. Wasn’t even the best player on the Kilkenny team. Lots of better forwards down through the years - very diffiicult to find a “like for like” player in hurling because every player has different strengths and weaknesses and with players popping up in different positions game after game ie centre forward one week, wing forward the next, full forward the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Are you serious? ‘LOL’ as the kids say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Aidan O Shea

Came to mind soon as I saw this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I’m going to be controversial and say Cian O Sullivan for Dublin. I think he’s protected by the pace and athleticism of the other Dublin defenders and that he isn’t nearly as dynamic as the others.

He plays an important role for Dublin but I think he’s a defender that a lot of forwards would get the better of if it wasn’t for the quality of the rest of the Dublin team.

In short, the other Dublin players make him look better than he actually is.

Yeah thats definitely controversial (polite way of saying completely wrong)

O'Sullivan is an unbelievable athlete. Quick, dynamic and powerful. Back in the days when he was an orthodox marker i don't think many got the better of him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭fire_man

Shane O'Donnell. Hard working but doesn't offer enough scoring threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Lee Chin. Fine hurler who has his moments but seems to have his arse licked clean by everyone in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Connolly - a flat track bully who doesnt score a whole pile in AI finals
    Cillian O Connor - very mediocre all round game with big numbers masked by free taking (and he messes this up on the big day)
    James O Donoghue - very markable as he does the same thing every time, runs in straight line with head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The Gooch. Incredible how he got away with too many steps over and over again. If you keep the ball in yer arms for long enough then you'll get goals, how can anyone take it off you?
    He did it over and over again. Amazing how he got away with it again and again.

Great player though and I'm only seizing my chance to get my dig in.

Connolly is a tad over rated too. Not denying his talent as such but he plays for himself. He could have cost Dublin the AI 2 years back by going for hollywood instead of doing what was best for the team.

In terns of under-rated , Kev Mac for Dubs.

Keegan from Mayo is a wonderful player, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yogi37 wrote: »

I think Jim turned him into an "averagely good" player with the role he gave him a couple of years ago. He would be still terrorising defences if he wasn't playing his role imo. He hasn't been a Dublin forward for a few years.

Lots of dubs being named.

Just a theory - maybe they're just such a great, well drilled team that their individual qualities largely go unnoticed?

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Most of the players been mentioned are the best in the country.

If I had to pick one I’d pick eoin cadogan, if had to pick two I’d pick cadogan and Brian Hurley. Both cork but to be honest if I had to pick a few more they’d be mainly from cork aswell.

Is Cadogan still even rated? I'm a Cork man and haven't rated him for years. Brian Hurley has been destroyed by injuries don't think he approached his potential at all.

From my own county I feel Aidan Walsh is ridiculously overrated. His fitness levels these days are shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement