Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guards took phone after an accident

• 19-02-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I was in an accident recently where someone walked out infront of me afterwards the guard's took my phone so they could check if I was on it. They now have it 5 days. Does anyone know how much longer they should have it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway County

The good folks of emergency services should hopefully be able to tell how long the phone is usually held for.
    I suppose it needs to be checked by a tech and also the phone company will have to get back to them with caller information.
    ^^ guesses on my part of course

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

I know that this may sound silly, but, do they not need a warrant first to take the phone?
    Just curious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Carolal wrote:
    Hi I was in an accident recently where someone walked out infront of me afterwards the guard's took my phone so they could check if I was on it. They now have it 5 days. Does anyone know how much longer they should have it

That's terrible, is everyone ok?

Were you on the phone? If not, I wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know that this may sound silly, but, do they not need a warrant first to take the phone?
    Just curious.

Not if they suspect it related to the incident. If your in a crash they'll sometimes even take the vehicle to make sure that it is road worthy, no need for a warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

This is why everyone should have a Dash Cam. Granted, it won't prove that you weren't on your phone but at least it'll show someone suddenly just walking out in front of you and how much time you had to react.

On another note though, in this day and age with Bluetooth and everything there's no excuse for anyone to physically be using their phone when driving. The amount of people every single day I see doing it is crazy, especially so called 'professional drivers'. Even if your vehicle doesn't have Bluetooth, hands free kits aren't expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jaxxx wrote: »
    This is why everyone should have a Dash Cam. Granted, it won't prove that you weren't on your phone but at least it'll show someone suddenly just walking out in front of you and how much time you had to react.

Plus a hands free kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Carolal

tedpan wrote: »
    That's terrible, is everyone ok?

Were you on the phone? If not, I wouldn't be happy.

No I wasn't on the phone they brought it to check if I was

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Carolal wrote:

That's good, hopefully you'll get it back soon then. Was everyone ok?

I have been on to the guard's they won't tell me anything.

tedpan wrote: »
    That's good, hopefully you'll get it back soon then. Was everyone ok?

The guy who walked out in front of me had to be rushed by ambulance to hospital. But thankfully he is gonna make a full recovery. I'm ok physically but mentally I'm in bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Carolal wrote: »

I thought they could do that from the records held by telecoms.

Reati wrote: »

That won't show services like WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, etc.

foreign wrote: »
    That won't show services like WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, etc.

Nor will the phone if they didn't post at the time of the accident. Plus, if the phone is locked how do they unlock it. iPhones can't be broken into without auth. I'm really curious of what they plan to do.

OP, did they ask for your pin or details?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Reati wrote:

Nope. They need to check everything. Was he in the middle of typing a text or email, changing the song checking the weather, read the news. The only way to check any of this is with the phone itself. Phone records will only say if he received/sent a call or text.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

Sorry to hijack a thread but it's made me wonder if using google maps on my phone while driving would be considered 'using' my phone? It's in the passenger seat and just shouting out directions and I'm not looking at it but if a guard was to take my phone would it technically be in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sorry to hijack a thread but it's made me wonder if using google maps on my phone while driving would be considered 'using' my phone? It's in the passenger seat and just shouting out directions and I'm not looking at it but if a guard was to take my phone would it technically be in use?

You are not allowed to touch your phone while driving or sitting at lights. If you can use the sat nav without touching the phone you aren't breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I don't know to what depth they check the phone, but if they're reviewing verbose system logs, it would state that it was voice commands that were being used, rather than typing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

If they find you were using it and bring a case against you it could be not until the court date that you get it back. Going by what I know about phones and the guards they haven’t a clue ( and I say that with no malice) they aren’t trained in this so it could take quite a while to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Interesting, we'd have a bit of a time articulating seize the phone there and then. We'll subpoena the records for a ticket to show the subject was on the phone. As serious accident would be handled by our investigators and they could get a warrant for the phone itself. However, most agencies don't have the capability of "hacking" phones, the FBI can barely do it with almost unlimited resources. 
    So, in Ireland, am I compelled to give you my phone password? What if I say no? The courts here, in a recent decision, ruled if you want to search my phone, get a warrant and no I don't have to give you my password. Given the complexities of digital media, I'd wonder how much capability AGS has for cracking phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

irishrgr wrote: »
    I'd wonder how much capability AGS has for cracking phones.

None at all. It's scare tactics unless you don't have a passcode. Even if you gave them your passcode they can't check anything unless you happened to send a message around the time of the crash. If you've a hlaf written message in some app they can't know if that was 5 mins or a year old.

If I was the OP though I'd look into buying a new phone, you won't be getting it back anytime soon if there is any sort of case pending. if I was a laptop or computer you'd be waiting 1-3+ years to get it back.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    None at all. It's scare tactics unless you don't have a passcode. Even if you gave them your passcode they can't check anything unless you happened to send a message around the time of the crash. If you've a hlaf written message in some app they can't know if that was 5 mins or a year old.

If I was the OP though I'd look into buying a new phone, you won't be getting it back anytime soon if there is any sort of case pending. if I was a laptop or computer you'd be waiting 1-3+ years to get it back.

This is what I was interested in more than the case.

Assumption: Phone is somewhat new, has hardware level device encryption and passcode.

What can AGS do with that phone bar get the phone records. There isn't a chance they have the software to crack a phone like that. As someone noted even the FBI couldn't do it.

Even if they have a passcode and you had something to hide you sent a delete device request and boom everything goes if they turn the phone one (assuming a inet connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You are not allowed to touch your phone while driving or sitting at lights. If you can use the sat nav without touching the phone you aren't breaking the law.

You can touch it, but you can't hold it.

If it's in a cradle, you can still legally touch the screen.
    It's legal to send a cover or whatsapp, but illegal to send an sms or email.

The law was so poorly written, only holding the phone is enforced in most circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

irishrgr wrote: »
    I'd wonder how much capability AGS has for cracking phones.
    GarIT wrote: »
    None at all. It's scare tactics unless you don't have a passcode.

Speaking from experience GarIT?

The ability to get into a locked phone is dependant on a number of factors.

Is it encrypted? Unlikely

Is it an iPhone? - No chance

Is it an android? some chance. What model, what OS version. what security patch level?

Is your PIN 4 digits? is it one of the "top20" 4 digit PINS used worldwide?
    Is it directly attributable to your DOB?

Is it a pattern lock? again is it one of the top 20 patterns used etc

Does the examination software have a solution to bypass the PIN, dump the physical memory and decode same?

Nor will the phone if they didn't post at the time of the accident. Plus, if the phone is locked how do they unlock it. iPhones can't be broken into without auth. I'm really curious of what they plan to do.

OP, did they ask for your pin or details?

Yes they asked for my pin. 2 weeks later still no phone

Carolal wrote: »
    Yes they asked for my pin. 2 weeks later still no phone

Why would you give your PIN to anyone unless you were under warrant.

Why would you give your PIN to anyone unless you were under warrant.

Maybe they have nothing to hide? Phones are examined by a trained Garda and only done if there is a good enough reason to do so.

Maybe they have nothing to hide? Phones are examined by a trained Garda and only done if there is a good enough reason to do so.

Christ no. Ask any good lawyer. You never fess up anything without a warranty or legal advice first. You think you have nothing to hide but a trained Garda's job is to find something and they will find the thing you didn't realise you had done.

Christ no. Ask any good lawyer. You never fess up anything without a warranty or legal advice first. You think you have nothing to hide but a trained Garda's job is to find something and they will find the thing you didn't realise you had done.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/26/section/7/enacted/en/html

Where does it say you have to give them a PIN? They can take the phone sure, but not demand the PIN. In fact, I have legal documents communicating legal advice from or by a barrister or solicitor on my device etc etc

My point is still valid, one should seek legal advise before handing over any information.

• Advertisement

Where does it say you have to give them a PIN? They can take the phone sure, but not demand the PIN. In fact, I have legal documents communicating legal advice from or by a barrister or solicitor on my device etc etc

My point is still valid, one should seek legal advise before handing over any information.

It doesn't say anything about the pin, just showing the power to seize the device in the first place. As the OP said, they weren't on their phone at the time. They must be happy to know there is nothing incriminating on the phone that they are worried about and are happy to help move the case along quicker than it would without the pin.

Advertisement