Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which to join - Smurfit or Palmerstown?

• 26-02-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Debating joining one or the other of these courses and looking for some advice from anyone who has played or was/is a member of either or both.

If you had a choice, would you join the Smurfit GC or Palmerstown Stud? They are a similar distance from me and the cost is also reasonably similar.

I think my preference is for PS. I haven't played the Smurfit yet but I'm pretty certain it s a good course from what I've read. My issue with PS is the ability or more likely inability to play 4 or 5 holes after work due to the distance from most holes back to the clubhouse. The course doesn't come near it again until you come back to the 18th. The Smurfit on the other hand seems much more playable like this and you can play any number of combinations and not be too far from the clubhouse. Due to time constraints the likelihood is most of my golf in the summer would be after work evenings with only occasional weekends.

Price wise they are fairly similar, PS is a bit cheaper and more bang for buck but not by much. What would you do? I know PS is a much busier course as well, not sure if that matters much. Im pretty sure I'd join PS in a shot if the layout was better so that's what is annoying me. My main issue with Smurfit is it's probably too expensive for what it is due to the K Club name/connection.

Has anyone any experience of both as a member? The most important thins to me is value for money and course layout. Is there anything else I should looking at from a club?

Talk me into one or the other please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

IMO Palmerstown wins hands down. Tough course though, much harder than Smurfit. The Smurfit course is fine, just not in the same league as the Palmer course - or Palmerstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

That smurfit course is a bog. The drainage is disgraceful and I wouldn't go near it. Palmerstown everyday of the week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Only problem with Palmerstown is the length of the course (in particular the walks between holes) & the length of rounds

I know a couple of Boards members on here joined when they did the cheaper deal for the re-launch under the new owners.

They only stuck with it for a year though due to the length of rounds.

It is a lovely course though with a range attached, so decent facilities.

Surely you have plenty of other options within a close radius if home is in range of those 2 courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 11langer11

Thanks for the advice, PS it is then!

There are a few other courses local alright which were fine but I didn't really like any of them like I did with PS, it was head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe I shouldn't have player PS at all and I'd be happy elsewhere!!

The long rounds are a bit of a concern alright, anything over 4.5 hours would be a problem long term with herself! Are the rounds long due to the length of the course or because it's overly busy? If it's the length then I'll just have to get a bit straighter :)

Thanks for advice too. Anyone got any good things to say about Smurfit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Smurfit has always been wet towards the end of the round any time I've played it, never remember and water issues in Palmerstown

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

would you not try Naas just around the corner. Class course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

11langer11 wrote: »

There are a few other courses local alright which were fine but I didn't really like any of them like I did with PS, it was head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe I shouldn't have player PS at all and I'd be happy elsewhere!!

The long rounds are a bit of a concern alright, anything over 4.5 hours would be a problem long term with herself! Are the rounds long due to the length of the course or because it's overly busy? If it's the length then I'll just have to get a bit straighter :)

Kileen (not Castle) is right beside PS. I know you didn't ask.... but it seems obvious that time is an issue and PS is going to be an issue once the novelty wears off. Kileen (not Castle) is not in the same league (still nice) as PS but I would consider it a better option from what you're looking for.

Ideal for X quick holes in the evening, usually a good flow / pace of play any time I played it in Opens.

Quite a few more around there that would be better suited imo. I would be joining one of them and enjoying PS a few times a year when it suits... send herself away for the weekend, relax and enjoy it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

3putt wrote: »
    would you not try Naas just around the corner. Class course

Or Kileen.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Or Kileen.
    Or Blessington Lakes we are a lovely bunch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

ForeRight wrote: »
    That smurfit course is a bog. The drainage is disgraceful and I wouldn't go near it. Palmerstown everyday of the week for me.

Not entirely true. They have spent millions laying tonnes of sand and relaying drainage pipes on some of the worst affected holes in the past couple of years. Played it end of January after weeks of heavy rain and the tee boxes, fairways and greens were in excellent nick. The walk between holes was marshy and the rough but so are most parklands at this to me of year. Couldn’t fault the condition of the parts of the course where you are meant to play golf. Excellent course and a real test of tee to green golf. Would win hands down for me over Palmerstown which is a brute of a walk and doesn’t lend itself of to 4/5 hole golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Or Blessington Lakes we are a lovely bunch:D

Yeah you could join for the €150 distance membership and play the opens in PS or the K club

Sorry I mean buy ur handicap for €150

• Registered Users Posts: 5 11langer11

Naas isn't really an option. Have played it and it's a nice course alright but much too busy. I believe they have 600 or so members?

Millicent in Clane or Killeen would be the most likely options after Palmerstown. Palmerstown is more expensive than both but imo is better value for money and much better course.

Haven't played Killeen yet so don't know what it's like. Millicent is ok, nothing to write home about. I played it after PS and found it very bland in comparison. I think I might play Killeen and Millicent again and see what they are like compared to each other.

Outside of these options everything else is too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

11langer11 wrote: »

Generally speaking my understanding is 4.5hours plus on competition weekends & 5 hours plus on medal days.

Mostly down to length of course & amount of land to cover. But contributed to also because of members struggling to get around the place.

One guy told me about playing medal rounds with members who couldn't reach the fairways off the tee on some holes

What area are you living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Its like driving a Ferrari and then getting in a BMW, we would all love the Ferrari but not really practical for everyday life... If you ask me Id be looking at Naas, Millicent, Killeen, Craddockstown or Castlewarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Kileen is a bit of a hidden gem for me. Played it a lot and the back nine especially is superb and a good challenge.

Other aspects which may or may not be important to you;

Strong membership
    Good interclub teams
    Good junior section
    Nice food

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Palmerstown is a huge course, boom development that maybe is not a great club to be a member. You should consider whether you want to play after work and whether you want somewhere you'll get to know members where you can tip around. Joining Palmerstown would be like making Coppers your local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oconnorjnr

Im a member of Palmerstown since it reopened and I cant recommend it highly enough. Course and practice facilities top class, members very friendly and welcoming.
    It's no problem playing a few holes in the evening...1-4 for example...5 min walk back to car park or 10,11,12,15,18 another option...7min walk from 9th green/10th tee.
    If you're interested in inter club golf we're really getting properly organised this year aswell,lots of great work being done.

Anyway good luck with your decision...Naas and Killeen would also be great courses to be a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

As a Smurfit member i must say That's down right false information to be providing. A lot of money has been spent in the past 2 years on drainage and it's quite obvious in that respect. Course is much dryer than it used to be, and money is still being spent further improving drainage.
    I played PS twice last year March and Sept and in my opinion it was much wetter than Smurfit.

Op There are plenty of options for a quick 4/5 holes in the evenings, so this provides great variety.
    I believe it's very difficult to get weekend slots in PS as it's busier than the Smurfit.
    if you are interested in getting out to experience the Smurfit Pm me and I'd happily take you out at member guest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I've played it twice in the last year and it was dry weather and the fairways were still awful. A fine course set up but still a bit to go to sort out the drainage imo.

I've played it twice in the last year and it was dry weather and the fairways were still awful. A fine course set up but still a bit to go to sort out the drainage imo.
    All entitled to our own opinions but, Potentially you played during drainage works as other than that the fairways were in excellent condition, very dry and plenty of run. Hole 6 is still being worked on so yes that fairway is not great at the moment. No issues with any other fairways. As a member I'm going to be a little biased obviously, hence I offered to take the Op out to aid his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I'd agree with this. Played it a couple of times, both in the summer and it was very soft and wet. Also remember going to the European open and them having to suspend play and shorten the 18th to a par 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

fullstop wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. Played it a couple of times, both in the summer and it was very soft and wet. Also remember going to the European open and them having to suspend play and shorten the 18th to a par 3/4.

Was the European not played on The Palmer?

Are both these courses not very soft?

neckedit wrote: »

It was until the Smurfit was built then they alternated it a couple of times.

neckedit wrote: »

The Smurfit Course hosted the European Open on three occasions, 2004, 2006 and 2007.
    And contrary to comments here it is in excellent condition with money being pumped in to ensure it stays that way/improves.
    @fullstop, when did you last play it as it was immaculate all last year (especially summer)
    Article which explains some works over the last couple of years:
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sport/232913/smurfit-course-an-entirely-different-experience.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Does Smurfit membership include some preferential access to the Palmer? Think I recall that being the case.

It was until the Smurfit was built then they alternated it a couple of times.

wow... totally missed that. fair play.

zep wrote: »
    The Smurfit Course hosted the European Open on three occasions, 2004, 2006 and 2007.
    And contrary to comments here it is in excellent condition with money being pumped in to ensure it stays that way/improves.
    @fullstop, when did you last play it as it was immaculate all last year (especially summer)
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sport/232913/smurfit-course-an-entirely-different-experience.html

It's a couple of years since I played it last, just wan't in the condition I'd expect of a course like that.
    I'm not paying to access that article!

zep wrote: »

I played it 2 last year.... thought it was a bit soft too.

FYI The link you shared is to a paid page for the Leinster Leader....

It's a couple of years since I played it last, just wan't in the condition I'd expect of a course like that.
    I'm not paying to access that article!
    Ooops sorry about that, if you view code for the page you can see the article ðŸ‘.
    I live close to it and played it many times over the years, I'd agree with your statement going back a couple years. It was very soft and not what it should have been. Thankfully they have realized that now and are investing heavily in getting it back to where it belongs.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Does Smurfit membership include some preferential access to the Palmer? Think I recall that being the case.
    Not really sure on that tbh. I do intend to find out this year ðŸ˜

Advertisement