Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

• 26-02-2018 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

I think many of us feared this.
    What a legend, he will be missed

Edit: Felt it deserved its own thread

https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/968060885410381826

MOD WARNING: This is now an appreciation thread. This is not something we wanted to do. Unfortunately as people don’t know how to behave like adults so there it is. You can keep your long harbinged grudges for another time...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He seemed to announce it on facebook/twitter.

It was on the cards. Fabulous player. After all the talk of never getting injured it was an injury which took him down.

He will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sad to hear but not entirely unexpected.

All the best to him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's not a surprise but still sad nevertheless.

The man was pure class. He deserved to go out on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭scott1974

Ah, well.. I suppose it's the best for him and his long-term future, great servant and owes us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gutted, he’s going a bit far to prove Kimmage wrong at this stage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah no. On the cards but doesn’t make it any less hard to swallow.

What a warrior. Best ever 8 developed by Ireland. We’ve badly missed him for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

We could do with him for the next match up
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭A-Train

It was expected but still terrible news, a great great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Professionalism personified and his absence has been felt for both Ireland and Leinster. We'll be lucky if we produce another 8 of his calibre in the next 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Was expected by very sad none the less. A great servant to Irish rugby and, as injuries attest, always put his body on the line for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Absolutely gutted for the guy. Deserved to hit 100 irish caps

One of our greatest ever players.

But what a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Really sorry to hear that. Not entirely unexpected, but still a loss. A proper legend for Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

What was the injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

so glad they kept onto him rather than donnacha ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's a real punch in the gut. Incredible player for Ireland and Leinster. All the best to him.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

famagusta wrote: »
    What was the injury?

Back injury

• Subscribers Posts: 40,954 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

One of the very best. Very sad to hear this but at 34 his future well being is priority.

my avatar feels a bit more poignant now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

2smiggy wrote: »
    so glad they kept onto him rather than donnacha ryan

What an incredibly sad person you are, if this is the first thing that came to mind.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is a massive shame he didn’t go out on his own terms.

Class player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For a guy that never seemed to get injured it's crappy that this has done him in.

Odd that all the bits coming out in the last few weeks were about his imminent return.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,954 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For a guy that never seemed to get injured it's crappy that this has done him in.

Odd that all the bits coming out in the last few weeks were about his imminent return.

its probably a case of the closer you get back to 100% the more you realise the impact of the injury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolute killer blow that the man who is ever present and uninjurable doesn't get to go out on his own terms. Wonder how much of it stems back to the Pape incident.

Anyways, best no.8 I ever expect to see playing for Leinster or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'll never forget 08/09 and our back row that year. Heaslip, Jennings and Elsom were just unplayable at times. I was at the Quins QF with mutual clubmates and I still maintain that was probably my favourite Leinster memory. We were only really scratching the surface of what would be a great career.

He's been a brilliant player for Ireland, Leinster, the Lions and so on. Great, great memories he's left us.

Such a shame that a guy who was so rarely injured ended up going out this way, but I suppose he was mostly much luckier than others in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know he'll feel disappointed at having to stop early. But he's 34, a Grand Slam, 6 Nations, European Cup, Pro 12 winner and Lions Test player and Captain to boot.

That's a hell of a haul and should take solace in the fact he is walking away, healthy, if not on his own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

You always hope that the whispers about something like this coming down the tracks are exaggerated.
    Sad news.

One of my fondest memories was how quickly he bounced back from Pape's knee that time.
    Amazingly quick turnaround after getting 3 vertebrae damaged.
    Never thought that the man made of Titanium would have to call it quits thanks to an injury.

What is the exact nature of this injury does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's a tough way to bow out but he seems set up for life post professional rugby and owes Irish Rugby nothing. Great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

razorblunt wrote: »
    I know he'll feel disappointed at having to stop early. But he's 34, a Grand Slam, 6 Nations, European Cup, Pro 12 winner and Lions Test player and Captain to boot.

That's a hell of a haul and should take solace in the fact he is walking away, healthy, if not on his own terms.

It's a full year since the injury though. So in reality he finished at 33.

Im sure he was hoping to go after the WC, so he's lost the final 30 months of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

95 caps. It's a pity he didn't make 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

95 caps. It's a pity he didn't make 100.

Got the 100 test caps, just not all for Ireland.

Advertisement