Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Conspiracy Guys Podcasts

Comments

Getting a 503 Bad Gateway error trying to get onto their Patreon... Can you say... Conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Had a quick glance at that google hang out video, it just likes a bunch of losers who think they are important with their alternative view of the world . Like they were discussing the fact that there were no published images of dead kids from the Manchester bombings, as if the media would publish a photo of a nail bombed 10 year old girl.

Some conspiracies are worth a look, but people like these just give it a bad name. Losers who want to feel someway special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

5 hours on Columbine anybody?? :D

Just listened to the first half hour. Just rambling around the topic. I wish they would just make the show the same length. And shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is there a TLDR version? What are they rambling about? CIA, Mind control, government black ops?

markodaly wrote: »
    Is there a TLDR version? What are they rambling about? CIA, Mind control, government black ops?

I left it on in the background while I was doing something else. So far, the first 45 minutes were general background and chat. Nothing too interesting. At about 45 minutes they went through an overview of the events, and it pretty much started there. They then discussed the minor misdemeanours that the two guys were guilty of, and read out a few of the entries from Eric Harris' blog "You Know What I Hate".

There's a new guy on it, who actually improves the thing hugely. Gordon usually relies on just being crude when he's trying to be funny. But this other guy IS actually funny.

From what they are describing, they are going for the market of people that listen to podcasts while working. Hence while the shows are so long. I can see what they are doing, but having it sooooo long, means that they will exclude a lot of their potential audience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

5 hours on Columbine anybody?? :D

Just listened to the first half hour. Just rambling around the topic. I wish they would just make the show the same length. And shorter.

I have to say this was one of their better episodes. I still agree the length needs to be looked at and perhaps edited down more, actually once you get past the first hour or so it's a lot more insightful that a lot of their more recent episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So what's the Columbine conspiracy? Mind control, false flag (again)?
    It sounds like there are some people out there who really like the sound of their own voice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ipso wrote: »
    So what's the Columbine conspiracy? Mind control, false flag (again)?
    It sounds like there are some people out there who really like the sound of their own voice.

You know what it wasn't a conspiracy about the event itself moreso about the portrayal of the killers.

Again I was tiring with their older episodes but this really was a well produced episode and certainly didn't go down the obvious route like some of their normal episodes.

Getting a lot of airtime recently.

On with the phone show on FM104. Gordo is pretty good in front of the mic, but I think he should have prepared what he was going to say on the show.

This one is especially for LoughC, as we seem to be the only one's still watching..:) As well as the phone show, they also did the Comic Con earlier this week.

Real studenty feel to the whole thing. I've seen the other presentation that they did at Open Minds, but I think it suffers from the same problems. They seem to just go there and wing it. It would be far more productive if they had a set agenda of topics they went through.

• Advertisement

Yea very true man. The videos really expose their weaknesses, which is a shame as their podcasts are usually very well researched.

They are still very green and public speaking is a different animal compared to podcasting so that might be an issue for them to work on.

Gordo is a good speaker, all he needs to do is write out what he's going to say and put a bit of structure to the presentation. In any of the presentations, the other "Guys" seem to take a backseat, I'm not even sure there is much point in having them there. Their contributions seem to be limited to sporadic smart ar$e remarks.

He said on FM104 that they get 1 million downloads a month!! That's a fair achievement in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jack Thorn

I like their true crime podcasts ... shorter, less banter & less crude jokes by Gordo. I was a huge fan when there were 'conspiracy guys' & not just Gordo now with random guests. Although, I find Edwin Sammon a breath of fresh air ... he IS actually funny. They should have stuck with the original line up or at the very least Paul should have stayed, I found him to be easier to listen to & funny without being crude. Anyway, I recommend their true crime stuff going forward, I think they are running out of steam with the conspiracy stuff. Maybe I am cynical or this may just be a conspiracy about Those Conspiracy Guys ... but ... did Gordo just get rid of Eamonn & Paul so he & Claire (his partner I think) can take over & head off 'crowd funded' to the US for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jack Thorn wrote: »
    I like their true crime podcasts ... shorter, less banter & less crude jokes by Gordo. I was a huge fan when there were 'conspiracy guys' & not just Gordo now with random guests. Although, I find Edwin Sammon a breath of fresh air ... he IS actually funny. They should have stuck with the original line up or at the very least Paul should have stayed, I found him to be easier to listen to & funny without being crude. Anyway, I recommend their true crime stuff going forward, I think they are running out of steam with the conspiracy stuff. Maybe I am cynical or this may just be a conspiracy about Those Conspiracy Guys ... but ... did Gordo just get rid of Eamonn & Paul so he & Claire (his partner I think) can take over & head off 'crowd funded' to the US for a year?

Paul took time out himself. A lot of the stuff they covered in the past, he just didn't believe in, and he didn't like researching the material etc. So he's only gonna do the podcasts he has an interest in.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Paul took time out himself. A lot of the stuff they covered in the past, he just didn't believe in, and he didn't like researching the material etc. So he's only gonna do the podcasts he has an interest in.

That and he had gotten a new full time job and was under pressure with committements to give up time to the podcast. Gordo on the other hand always stated he wanted the TCGs as his full time gig when he was finished college.

That's a pity, I thought he was the best one ... more intelligent, less crude & definitely funnier. I get that comedians make jokes about taboo, risky subjects to (supposedly) raise awareness of the matter but Gordo just isn't funny. Listen to latest true-crime pcast on Natalie Holloway ... overall it's pretty good ... but the rapey, misogynist comments by him are disturbing. Maybe it's just fun & after all, it's a comedy podcast ... but a comedian he is not, well not a good one anyways. Also, his constant mimicking of Jimmy Savile during that pcast was just creepy & way too many 'jokes' (??) about the victims. I miss the early days of TCG when they (now he) weren't trying so hard to be 'funny' (??). I think Paul was the balance that the 'duo' needed & without him I don't get it anymore. Also, for great true-crime pcasts listen to Casefile (excellent) & Sword And Scale (bit darker at times but intriguing).

Also, for great true-crime pcasts listen to Casefile (excellent) & Sword And Scale (bit darker at times but intriguing).

Brill thanks for the podcast recommendations, I love listening to podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Hey guys, just checking in after listening to it for a few more months.
    That's a pity, I thought he was the best one ... more intelligent, less crude & definitely funnier.
    I never thought of myself as prudish ever, but I really find some of Gordo's jokes extremely distasteful. It's almost like he's trying to be a Shock Jock. But the tasteless jokes have to go. And the accents. F**k me. He did pretty much the entire Jimmy Savile show as Jimmy Savile.  And it's not the first show he's done this. We had his best Peter Seller's Italian accent as the Italian Prosecutor in the Amanda Knox episode, and some southern accent in another show. It gets to the point that the podcast is a sideshow to the main event - "the impressions".
    Paul certainly was funny at times, but was dull some of the time as well. Though to be fair to the guy it's hard to be interesting for five straight hours. Claire I think is good. I have heard a few episodes with her and she's got a nice voice, and can be quite funny too. Edwin Sammon quite good as well.
    Can't listen to any of the live hangouts. that description of "just a bunch of losers" was pretty much spot on. It was like the time when Frasier's fan club came around to his house.
    Hey Loughc, if you like podcasts, take down that West Cork about the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder. It is really good. really well put together. It's free on Audible if you have it.

Hi everybody,
    They have posted a five hour special about David Icke.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgXCjrZlbE&t=5930s
    I'm about half way through. Unfortunately they have gone off on numerous tangents, and taking haven't really go to the core of David Icke's beliefs as yet. I really wish they would edit out all the in jokes and tangents.

TCG have gone into overdrive pushing TCG Tv and trying to raise money for his year long trip.

It’s a bit cringe as Gordo essentially is giving out that people aren’t Contributing towards his year long trip to America. He’s saying If only everyone who downloaded gave between €1 and €5.

And anyone who comments back as to why they haven’t contributed he ends up almost arguing with them. Someone commented the show isn’t as good since Paul left and he just replied well it’s more successful since he left.

It’s really put me off ever listening to it going forward.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think it's difficult to know how to gracefully transition from being a free podcast/channel to a commercial enterprise, without coming across has having a sense of entitlement for now wanting to be remunerated for your efforts. Frankly, there is nothing about the extras that are offered for the paid members that appeal to me. I might consider contributing if they would spend the money on editing. Also creates an issue for Gordon as to whether the contributors also get paid for their efforts. Wouldn't seem fair for the boss to get paid handsomely, and the contributors are treated just amateurs giving up their time for free. Unless you are the GAA, of course.
    With regard to the US tour, I think it's a bit cheeky to expect everybody to pay for him to travel across the States, under the pretense that they will visit loads of conspiracy locations. I think it's waaaaaay too early in the project to expect the viewers to contribute to something like that. I'm not sure why he is not staying home trying to drive the project, maybe he had the trip to the US planned way in advance of the show taking off like it did?
    He said in the last podcast that they are number 88 in the AMERICAN podcast charts. 88 out of 300,000 podcasts. If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe him, this is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a pity, I thought he was the best one ... more intelligent, less crude & definitely funnier. I get that comedians make jokes about taboo, risky subjects to (supposedly) raise awareness of the matter but Gordo just isn't funny. Listen to latest true-crime pcast on Natalie Holloway ... overall it's pretty good ... but the rapey, misogynist comments by him are disturbing. Maybe it's just fun & after all, it's a comedy podcast ... but a comedian he is not, well not a good one anyways. Also, his constant mimicking of Jimmy Savile during that pcast was just creepy & way too many 'jokes' (??) about the victims. I miss the early days of TCG when they (now he) weren't trying so hard to be 'funny' (??). I think Paul was the balance that the 'duo' needed & without him I don't get it anymore. Also, for great true-crime pcasts listen to Casefile (excellent) & Sword And Scale (bit darker at times but intriguing).

Couldn't agree more, I find myself listening a lot less now that Paul has taken a step back. Without him there for balance it feels like Gordo is trying to be deliberately provocative and offensive and while I think that most things should be fair game for joking, he falls flat with his attempts at humour more often than not now.

Totally agree about Casefile too and their recent series on Silk Road has been compulsive. Big fan of They Walk Among Us too.

New program up, posted yesterday, on Martin Luther King assassination.

About an hour in and it follows the same format.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They need a good editor. I tried to listen to the David Icke episode, which is over five hours long, but between the waffling tangents about being stoned teenagers, the Jimmy Saville impersonations and the 'everyone has to pay to send me to America' begging, there's probably only about 2/3 hours or actual interesting content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Listened to John Titor show about halfway through was an interesting take on that episode. I tend to agree it was a bull**** story, but more interesting than most time traveller stories you read online.

9/11 show was good. I think the hijacking happened, but there is more to the backstory, then we know.

I like an Irish perceptive on conspiracy theories, all you get online, for the most part, is the American thinking of what happened version. I will continue to listen to more shows before bed.

As per above comments the 'begging' has really turned me off. Listen to any other regular podcast ... they may mention Patreon or ask people if they are willing to donate but in a professional way which for me, works & I am willing to part with a few quid. But the constant reminders that no-one is paying for his year long holiday with his girlfriend ... yawn! Also, the concept of doing conspiracy documentaries in America has been done to death, YouTube is full of it. Check out Jesse Ventura's 'Conspiracy Theory' documentaries, they are probably the best.

To be honest, I rarely finish a podcast anymore because of the tangents, the whinging about no one paying for their holiday & the obvious nepotism with regards guests i.e. his girlfriend & brothers! I mean c'mon! Edwin Sammon is a legend though ... now that a genuinely funny guy who doesn't resort to rape jokes or bad accents. Also, I reckon he mentions at least twice in every show that he used to have a drink & drug problem ... and he is now teetotal. Well done mate but give us a break from it sometime. I've also heard Gordo say he is now ignoring any 'negative' emails & feedback ... maybe he should listen to some criticism, I think most genuine broadcasters do this to improve their product.

I actually though when they were 'guys' i.e. Gordo & Paul, it worked & there was a genuine balance between the two. These days it's really just the 'Gordo Show' with guests who can barely get a word in most times & the 'show' aint that good anymore. Plus some of the recent content just aint that interesting e.g. Mormons, Icke & HAARP - i stop listening usually after about an hour and a half ... and the first hour is irrelevant nonsense anyways.

I advise anyone (including Gordo) to listen to Casefile ... I know it's true crime product but just compare it with TCG. The narrator just pulls you in, it's utterly professional, they don't beg & there are no jokes aimed at women, children & victims.

Can anyone advise what happens if you don't reach your target on GoFundMe? The 30k initial target is at approx. 11k with two weeks to go, does that money get refunded if it's no where near the target?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Anybody listening to the show since. They didn't reach the full total of money that they were looking for, so he said that he was going for half the time instead. well that was the last time I listened. Just listening back to an old one tonight as it was in the news. Sandy Hook. Paul is on the Sandy Hook one - he is badly missed from the show. The show is so much better with his humour. I wonder why did he leave, I think I remember him saying something about the weeks of reading about such morbid events getting to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Anybody listening to the show since. They didn't reach the full total of money that they were looking for, so he said that he was going for half the time instead. well that was the last time I listened. Just listening back to an old one tonight as it was in the news. Sandy Hook. Paul is on the Sandy Hook one - he is badly missed from the show. The show is so much better with his humour. I wonder why did he leave, I think I remember him saying something about the weeks of reading about such morbid events getting to him.

Reading about murdered toddlers probably would have that effect on people, reading about murdered toddlers in order to spread sh1te may suggest another underlying problem.

He also get a new job that meant that meant he didn’t have weeks available to research or 13 hour recording sessions.

That was the excuse at the time. But Gordo gets very bitter at the pure mention of Paul’s name so I reckon there’s more to the story.

Maybe there’s a conspiracy behind it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Loughc wrote: »
    He also get a new job that meant that meant he didn’t have weeks available to research or 13 hour recording sessions. Maybe there’s a conspiracy behind it :pac:

Hey Lough, are you still listening. They put up one on the 27 club earlier this week, I might have a listen.

Advertisement