Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calcutta Cup 2018

• 24-02-2018 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭

BT Murrayfield, KO 4:45 GMT and IST-1. Live on TV3 and BBC 1. Live Radio on BBC 5 Live

DWjZvDDWkAA6OSg.jpg

DWoPGw2WkAAa-1w.jpg

The oldest International Trophy in the World, no less. Writing shamlessly stolen from the Daily Telegraph mainly as a time saver :)

Scotland

Gregor Townsend has kept faith with the players that beat France by naming an unchanged team. Townsend has rewarded the starting XV that bounced back from an opening defeat against Wales in the Six Nations with a hard-fought win over France by giving them the chance to prove themselves against title favourites England. Finn Russell - one of five Lions in the side - retains his place at fly-half despite a disappointing campaign to date and man-of-the-match Greg Laidlaw will once again line up alongside him at scrum-half against Eddie Jones' back-to-back winners.

The major changes for Scotland come on the bench, with Townsend's pack options bolstered by the return to fitness of WP Nel after a broken arm, while Tim Swinson also returns to the match-day 23 after injury. Glasgow centre Nick Grigg has been rewarded for his man-of-the-match display against Cheetahs last Friday with a place on the bench for the Murrayfield fixture.

England Nathan Hughes will start at number eight when England's NatWest 6 Nations title defence resumes against Scotland at Murrayfield on Saturday. Hughes has recovered from the knee ligament damage sustained on club duty for Wasps in December and is thrust straight into the back row in the absence of Sam Simmonds, who featured against Italy and Wales. "Nathan Hughes has worked hard on his fitness. I've never seen him in better physical condition, so we are looking forward to him playing," head coach Eddie Jones said.

What are they saying?

Jamie George on Owen Farrell:

"I was at his first international appearance in 2012. I was randomly at a 21st birthday, but I was in the stadium when we won 13-6 - it was a thriller. That was a great experience for me, Murrayfield is an amazing stadium and a great experience to watch one of my mates get their first cap. "We grew up together and started playing together when we were 14. We're really good mates - I'm an usher at his wedding - but we were different when he first came down to Saracens. "He was a big lad from Wigan and I was a posh guy from Hertford, but we soon hit it off.

"I'm very lucky to work with him day in, day out. It's his maturity that's the main thing that he's worked on. He'd say himself that he was pretty raw when he first started international rugby but the way he's developed as a leader and as a player... he's shown that he's one of the best players in the world. "He's constantly evolving his game. He himself says that he's a 10 but when he plays at 12 he picks incredible lines. It's another string to his bow."

David Denton: It's very exciting. When you're injured, you're not sure what your future will be or what clubs you'll be at.

"So the opportunity for me to go to Leicester and sign a three-year deal was big for me. I can settle down with the club and really dig my roots in. It's been a great month and I'm grateful. I learned how quickly things can change in professional sport. All of a sudden, you've been injured for a bit and out of favour with the national team, I wasn't sure what I was doing club-wise - and then for me to get a run of games together, get back playing for Scotland and then sign a long-term deal with a huge club like Leicester was great. Now beating England would definitely add to it. That would be amazing."

Gregor Townsend The players put a huge amount of effort into our win over France. They found a way to win and kept attacking the opposition up until the final whistle. England are the No 2 side in the world and have shown a very good level of consistency in the past couple of seasons. Taking on England is going to be a huge challenge and we are well aware that only our very best will be good enough in this fixture."

What are the betting odds?

Scotland win - 12/5
    England win - 4/11
    Draw - 25/1
    What is our prediction?

Recent visits to Murrayfield have been tight affairs but England are due a first-rate performance after struggling to put Wales away.

Their Predicted score: Scotland 16 England 29 Mine is for a better away win; Scotland 18, England 35 and for peace to break out in singing and dancing....

Comments

Big win coming up for England. They'll top the pool with a BP after today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Venjur wrote: »
    Big win coming up for England. They'll top the pool with a BP after today.

Have to agree, if Scotland mange to stay within 20 points of England they'll be doing well.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England are only - 7 lads. If your so confident of such a high win there's great value there for you.

Personally I think Scotland can sneak this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah a lot of the same people who said France would stuff Scotland. I think it'll be close. England to just shade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think Scotland could win it. But again it could be tight. Both teams in BT Muuraryfield will have their tails up after wins in their games against France & Wales two weeks ago. England had a tighter result then because of their tough win against Wales at Twickenham. On that note; I think England will try to slog it out for the win. But I think Scotland's role in the game will be more ferocious today to garner out a win from it. It will dent England's chance of winning a GS in favour of Ireland.

On that note I will go with Scotland for the win at Murrayfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fight in the tunnel just before the game apparently

Good start for Scotland. They have a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Good start for Scotland. They have a penalty.

And a score....now just bike on for 77 mins

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Home win here, Scotland look like they mean business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Anymore info on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Burkie1203 wrote: »

According to BBC, both teams ran in at the same time - Farrell named as being involved. Martin Johnson in studio loving it - his attitude was you shouldn't be talking to the opposition before the game!

Anymore info on that?

Owen farrell got involved with few scots as teams left after warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anymore info on that?

I'm sure we'll get to find out........let's guess who was involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

He released Farrell there in my opinion.

Laidlaw throwing some poor passes.......and he's slow.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

News of Farrell being involved in the scrap in the tunnel must have reached the stands, plenty of booing there for him before and after the kick

Ah super grubber kick and try for Scotland.

Great try for Scotland. Huw Jones the scorer of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Ha wow bit of a Carry On Playing Rugby try there.

Nigel involved, ball dribbles though.

Try Scotland! Decent maul there from them, but that kick through had about five England players around the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,941 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Scotland a little lucky there but fortune favours the brave.

Nigel better penalise that every time now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,941 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Don't think that was a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

That was incredibly harsh. I remember Murray calling up Ryan for that exact reason earlier today and that ref had no issue. Maybe it was the two man wall?

sligeach wrote: »
    Don't think that was a penalty.

Harsh but the Scottish guy did jump, referees were spoken to about it last year as well, but first time I've seen it penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

If Scotland can get enough possession they could well win this

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A scotland win is 50/50 result for us though

win and there on a high coming to Dublin but then again they beat England denying them a grand slam and putting us a very good position to do it or at least win a championship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Harsh but the Scottish guy did jump, referees were spoken to about it last year as well, but first time I've seen it penalised

What was the exact reason for the penalty?

Scotland really laying into England and catching them unawares.

• Advertisement

Scotland's scrum is near the England posts. If Scotland get a try from here; they will be motoring for a win.

Advertisement