Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car trade in Ireland.

• 15-02-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Is there any new buyers in the trade in Ireland ? Everyone seems to be trying to sell a car before they buy. Lots of cars for sale out there, is the trade at a standstill.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's tiny volume and therefore next to no market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Overpriced scrap is hard to sell at the best of times. Good cars with history will sell easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I am starting to wonder about the medium term future of the classic car. With this two pronged assault on the internal combustion engine which has ramped up massively in the last year. If new petrol or diesel cars are 'banned' from 2030 as proposed around the EU how will the average classic fare. The huge media push of 'driverless' cars may end up being the final nail in the coffin for many affordable classics. As insurance treatments may end the practice of driving for most people.

The extremely wealthy will ensure there is always a high end market for classic Ferrari, Bugatti etc. but I do just wonder if we need to make the most of it over the next decade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jimjom

Well I'm selling 3 classics at the moment and its horrible.
    All are priced reasonably with detailed work, fsh etc.

It seems all thats out there are the 'best price' losers.
    I've had old cars for years and never ever had issues selling...that is until 6 months ago.
    Nothing but clowns with no money and no intention of buying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The extremely wealthy will ensure there is always a high end market for classic Ferrari, Bugatti etc. but I do just wonder if we need to make the most of it over the next decade now.
    I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. There's always been allowances for classics and there's no sign of that changing. The NCT rules are even changing to the benefit of classics in May.

Driverless cars are as inevitable as flying cars, but we all know how long we've been waiting for them. And until the average joe can afford one (long after 2030!) the streets will still host a mix of cars.

What might change is the demographic of classic cars. 90s cars and onwards are so laden with electronics they'll be a nightmare to maintain for a home mechanic. What remains over the next few decades remains to be seen.
    jimjom wrote: »

I've had old cars for years and never ever had issues selling...that is until 6 months ago.
    February probably a bad time to sell? Cold and foggy windows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dades wrote: »
    February probably a bad time to sell?

+1

I'm going to sell my Mercedes W201 but I'll wait until the weather gets warmer, I can give it a good clean and I'll take some pictures in the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Not many folks have the space to park a classic these days.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

jimjom wrote: »

What ya selling? have I linked one already?:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    +1

I'm going to sell my Mercedes W201 but I'll wait until the weather gets warmer, I can give it a good clean and I'll take some pictures in the sun!

If its a 190D I know a chap who is looking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. There's always been allowances for classics and there's no sign of that changing. The NCT rules are even changing to the benefit of classics in May.

Driverless cars are as inevitable as flying cars, but we all know how long we've been waiting for them. And until the average joe can afford one (long after 2030!) the streets will still host a mix of cars.

What might change is the demographic of classic cars. 90s cars and onwards are so laden with electronics they'll be a nightmare to maintain for a home mechanic. What remains over the next few decades remains to be seen.

February probably a bad time to sell? Cold and foggy windows!

Spring not too far away... but anyone I know who has advertised classics recently has found the trade slow. I would imagine you will see an overall drop in the price of useable classics compared to a few years back. They may then entice some new owners into the field. Some are still buying their cars in England and paying costs of shipping them home. That points to the fact that many are cheaper in England where the trade has also slowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

shawnee wrote: »
    Spring not too far away... but anyone I know who has advertised classics recently has found the trade slow. I would imagine you will see an overall drop in the price of useable classics compared to a few years back. They may then entice some new owners into the field. Some are still buying their cars in England and paying costs of shipping them home. That points to the fact that many are cheaper in England where the trade has also slowed.

I don't think people travel to the UK to save money when it comes to classics. I know in my case it was an issue of choice purely, just could not find what I was after here. Shipping costs were minimal anyway with Ryanair flight and ferry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

w124man wrote: »
    If its a 190D I know a chap who is looking for one

I don't do diesel :D

It's a 2.6 straight 6 petrol auto. The most desirable of all W201 imho (except of course the Cosworth versions which at this stage are beyond the reach of most classic car owners)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. There's always been allowances for classics and there's no sign of that changing. The NCT rules are even changing to the benefit of classics in May

What's the benefits in NCT prey tell:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Peew wrote: »
    I'm not sure where your pessimism comes from. There's always been allowances for classics and there's no sign of that changing. The NCT rules are even changing to the benefit of classics in May

What's the benefits in NCT prey tell:)
    All you need is here!

Advertisement