Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watching six nations in Dublin with a baby

• 23-02-2018 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, we’ve just returned to Dublin to live and looking for somewhere in town to watch the rugby on Saturday. We’ve got a ten week old who can’t be left alone yet so he’ll be with us. Well need a pub that’s not so manic but is good to watch the game in. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

A friend or neighbor's house? Not too many pubs would be a good environment for a ten week old

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Maybe one of the quieter suburbs? A smaller local bar might have it on and will be less manic than one of the larger bars in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Jasus...watch it at home..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your ten week old can't be left at home yet? :D

Jasus...watch it at home..

My guess would be they have no telly seems they have just moved. Is there a pub near you that mainly does food. They would be very accommodating for a baby and may have the match on. If you said what area someone might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hello, we’ve just returned to Dublin to live and looking for somewhere in town to watch the rugby on Saturday. We’ve got a ten week old who can’t be left alone yet so he’ll be with us. Well need a pub that’s not so manic but is good to watch the game in. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bar Rua. Was there for the Italy game and saw some families there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Or maybe a local Rugby club?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Forget about the game, your child is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Stay at home turn on the radio.imagine the roar in the pub when Ireland score.you're baby will love that I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Stay at home turn on the radio.imagine the roar in the pub when Ireland score.you're baby will love that I'm sure!

Ha ha that reminds me of when my kids were small and I listened to all the matches on the radio. I never actually knew what the players looked like and wouldn't have recognized them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

If it's practical at all, a hotel bar would be the best bet I'd say. Sorry, don't know Dublin well enough to recommend one in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Noctor's on Sheriff Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭threetrees

I'd go to a hotel bar rather than a pub. More room for taking the baby for a wander over your shoulder without going outside. Possibly more room in the bar area too.

Coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NIMAN wrote: »
    Coppers

Session baby

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Why not watch it on a phone or laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭budgemook

Babies love pubs.

Where are you based OP? Town will be busy and cramped so it might be hard to find space for the buggy etc in many of the pubs.

Edit: it's been a while but the place on Westmoreland street beside the new Luas stop might be okay. Used to be called Layfayette but think it might have changed name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Forget about the game, your child is more important.

what do you think is going to happen - overexcited rugby fans will pick up the baby and throw it across the pub?

loyatemu wrote: »
    what do you think is going to happen - overexcited rugby fans will pick up the baby and throw it across the pub?

No, but I just wish that some parents would appreciate that a pub isn't a place for a 10 week old child just because they want a bit of craic for the game.

Once people decide to have children, they need to assess what they can and can't do any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hard to hold a pint and a baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

loyatemu wrote: »

Be grand as long as no-one tries for a drop goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No, but I just wish that some parents would appreciate that a pub isn't a place for a 10 week old child just because they want a bit of craic for the game.

Once people decide to have children, they need to assess what they can and can't do any more.

As long as the baby is warm enough, fed and the pub isn’t too noisy I don’t see what the big deal is? If it was a 10 month old who wanted to move around I’d agree but a 10 week old isn’t going to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

OP to partner in taxi later that day "I'm sure we're forgetting something"

I don't see any issue bringing a 10 week old to a nice pub in the day time - no difference from going to a restaurant, cinema theatre, shopping centre etc. A packed noisy pub would be an issue but the OP is asking about a pub that is not too packed and noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

budgemook wrote: »
    I don't see any issue bringing a 10 week old to a nice pub in the day time - no difference from going to a restaurant, cinema theatre, shopping centre etc. A packed noisy pub would be an issue but the OP is asking about a pub that is not too packed and noisy.

everything was fine until you mentioned cinema/theatre.a ten week old does not belong in either of those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

everything was fine until you mentioned cinema/theatre.a ten week old does not belong in either of those places.

Parent and Baby screenings.

EDIT - when I said cinema theatre I meant cinema. Getting Americanised.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My local cinema does special parent and baby screenings in the morning where the volume is a bit lower and the lights are kept on low specifically so you can see what you're doing if the baby needs fed etc.

OP I think the suggestion of a hotel bar is a good one, or else stick to bars in the suburbs. Bars in the city centre will be jammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

No matter where you go if the game gets exciting...which it prob will, there will be shouting and screaming...That's really not good for a young baby. Best to not bring such a young child into that.
    Try this today, stand 10feet from you child, put on the radio, wait a min, then scream as loud as you can and see what happens...if the baby likes that then go to a pub.
    If the games gets tight, even with the best laid plan, someone will let out a scream at the TV.

• Advertisement

Pair of baby ear protection headphones and you're grand. Life doesn't stop because a baby comes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement