Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purpose of building Metro under existing Luas

• 22-02-2018 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

What's the logic behind building the new metro directly under a perfectly good luas line.
    Will it be replacing the existing luas line or will the two run concurrently?
    I would have thought it'd make more sense to try to serve other areas of the city.

This may have been answered previously but i couldn't find three answer from other threads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

jd1983 wrote: »
    What's the logic behind building the new metro directly under a perfectly good luas line.
    I would have thought it'd make more sense to try to serve other areas of the city.

This may have been answered previously but i couldn't find three answer from other threads.

It isn't being built under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

It isn't being built under it.

According to the following article, the stretch between charlemont and Sandford will overlap:
    https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-new-dublin-metro-map-has-been-revealed-with-updated-stops

At least the station names are identical and therefore will serve the same areas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

According to the following article, the stretch between charlemont and Sandford will overlap:
    https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-new-dublin-metro-map-has-been-revealed-with-updated-stops

At least the station names are identical and therefore will serve the same areas.

That IS the Luas line - it is going to be upgraded to Metro standard. It will surface from the tunnel at/near Charlemont.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

L1011 wrote: »
    That IS the Luas line - it is going to be upgraded to Metro standard. It will surface from the tunnel at/near Charlemont.

Ok thanks, they'll be running metro trains on the existing luas lines.
    What about all the stops after Sandyford? Will passengers need to switch between the luas and metro at sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Any reason why areas with crap public transport are continually ignored in these plans. While areas already served by dart and or luas get another mode. Places like Blanch, Clondalkin, Lucan etc with huge populations and that are still in line for massive development like the Clonburris SDZ? Makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭tom1ie

Any reason why areas with crap public transport are continually ignored in these plans. While areas already served by dart and or luas get another mode. Places like Blanch, Clondalkin, Lucan etc with huge populations and that are still in line for massive development like the Clonburris SDZ? Makes no sense to me.

Agreed. The luas green line up to sandyford has rails that will take the metro. The platforms need to be lengthend but figures I've seen are saying 500 mill to upgrade that part. Relatively inexpensive.
    However areas that you've mentioned and also the Harold cross terenure rathfarnham route badly need an underground metro also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If a Metro was planned to be built to Blanchardstown, people in Ballymun and Swords and Phibsborough and Glasnevin would be saying the exact same thing.

Given that Blanch, Lucan and Clondalkin are no more than a mile from an existing railway alignment, and the area to be served by Metro has no such alignment, I can see why the latter is being prioritised and why, as TBMs are in the ground, the extra 800m metres is bored and €500m thrown at potentially doubling or tripling the capacity of a line that cannot meet passenger demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

At the moment, the line from Charlemont to Sandyford is a metro line with a tram service. I think it was always envisaged that there would be continuity between Metro North and the green line except the downright stupidity of having 1km section in the middle of an otherwise fully segregated line running on street, mingling with traffic and traffic lights has been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Will Luas cross city remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

markodaly wrote: »
    Will Luas cross city remain?

They're hardly going to dig it up.

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

sdanseo wrote: »
    They're hardly going to dig it up.

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time...

I think they should scrap it once the metro is running.
    That part of the city center is just too importatn

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭medoc

If Metro West was to be ever built they should run it to the Airport rather than terminate at Dardistown. Direct trams from the Airport along West Dublin would be useful. All pie in the sky unfortunately like most PT plans in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I think they should scrap it once the metro is running.
    That part of the city center is just too importatn

Yes it's important hence we built a high capacity tram line to serve it and will not be removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Should this thread be merged with the other one? I feel its title is based on a misunderstanding and might just cause more misunderstandings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes it's important hence we built a high capacity tram line to serve it and will not be removing it.

Exactly.

Reroute the buses and for just BAN every other type of vehicle. It's the ONLY sensible option and a few car park owners and private motorists preventing it is absolutely farcical.

But this is transport policy in Ireland, so that's par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

L1011 wrote: »

Will they need to close it for the "upgrade" ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will they need to close it for the "upgrade" ???

No - it's basically going to be platform extensions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I think this thread is a duplicate of the Metro Link thread. Please post directly on that thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849587

I will merge the two threads when I have time.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement