Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea of Thieves

Comments

Good to see some questions and concerns answered. Definitely piqued my interest now. Could be a good dip in and out kind of game. Perfectly suited for Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

On the subject of open beta, I asked Corden for the reason behind updates to the beta. He replied "keep it installed".

There is talk of an open beta, probably as a last minute check of the servers, etc.

Also, Rare have talked about how they don't need to go through the usual certification process to release Sea of Thieves, so they can push out builds when they like. The Alpha installed became the closed Beta, which will likely become the open Beta which the full one (like predownload, although you'd only be able to play it if you buy it other game pass then).

A great bonus and a way or MS to get a load of new game pass subs would be if they held an open beta and anyone who plays the beta gets a one month Game Pass. (pure speculation that last paragraph, but one can dream).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

A great bonus and a way or MS to get a load of new game pass subs would be if they held an open beta and anyone who plays the beta gets a one month Game Pass. (pure speculation that last paragraph, but one can dream).

I cant see this ever happening. MS are already heavily subsidising games within the Game Pass. You can imagine there were a few eyebrows raised within Rare when MS told them, their game would be playable for €9.99. I think it is a very bold but clever move from MS. I had the game pre-ordered, which I cancelled.

I have a 1 month free pass for Game Pass and I bought the discounted 6 month pass. I can see myself maintaining the game pass well into the future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ZiabR wrote: »
    I cant see this ever happening. MS are already heavily subsidising games within the Game Pass. You can imagine there were a few eyebrows raised within Rare when MS told them, their game would be playable for €9.99. I think it is a very bold but clever move from MS. I had the game pre-ordered, which I cancelled.

I have a 1 month free pass for Game Pass and I bought the discounted 6 month pass. I can see myself maintaining the game pass well into the future.

Yeah, I don't think Rare will mind too much, it's pretty clear that Microsoft are all in on the "Service Games", of which Seas of Thieves is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

True. Putting it in Game Pass is like getting subscription fee for the game without actually getting a subscription fee for the game (and the Stock Market like the recurring revenue model). I know I was on the fence about Game Pass, but Sea of Thieves announcement got me to buy a six month sub without blinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sea of Thieves is back for beta users this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Feb 16th - 18th.

Starts Friday at 10am.

It is still a closed beta so players that had access to the previous beta will have access.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Sea of Thieves is back for beta users this weekend!

I will be on for sure but not expecting it to be an overly enjoyable experience.

Major Nelson and King Phil are both saying on twitter "not to expect the game to run well this weekend"

Details on the Kraken were leaked. Looks immense. I would think you are going to have to team up if you stand any chance of killing it.

Details here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-15-sea-of-thieves-kraken-leaks

Also a really clever NPC/Quest system they have put into the game can be found in this video.

• Advertisement

Scale Test is now live to anyone that was involved with the Closed Beta. They have added ALOT of new features including picking a Pirate and also running a 4 man ship with a smaller crew if you desire to do so.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can you have a three man crew now? Found it quite annoying you had no choice but to match make with a randomer before.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Can you have a three man crew now? Found it quite annoying you had no choice but to match make with a randomer before.

Yes you can run with a 4 man (Recommended) or a 3 man crew.

The choice is yours.

You can also do the same with the Sloop. You can purposely pick a 2 man crew or a 1 man crew now.

Also, the Kraken has been spotted... It has been added to the Scale Test. From what I can gather, we have access to ALOT of the final release game now.

There are vendors selling weapons now that you can interact with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MARKone84

Just wondering if Boards.ie have a Discord channel for SOT on the PC??

I don't have the game (yet) and just wondering if there is anyone on here to crew up with when i do finally get the game. In March I believe?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

MARKone84 wrote: »
    Just wondering if Boards.ie have a Discord channel for SOT on the PC??

I don't have the game (yet) and just wondering if there is anyone on here to crew up with when i do finally get the game. In March I believe?

Thanks guys!

Add me as a friend on the Xbox app : Korvanica

Thanks Korvanika, I will add you when i get home this evening!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just so you know there's full cross play with console for this so you can just add people on xbox through the xbox app and play that way. It's not as handy to use as discord but I think there'll be a lot more people playing this on xbox than PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Another Scale test incoming. Dates not confirmed yet though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just so you know there's full cross play with console for this so you can just add people on xbox through the xbox app and play that way. It's not as handy to use as discord but I think there'll be a lot more people playing this on xbox than PC.

Great, thanks for the heads up on this, looking forward to getting it down now!! Cheers.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Another Scale test incoming. Dates not confirmed yet though.

Going to give all further scale/beta tests a miss now until launch. I want to game to feel fresh for the 20th March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Played for about 30mins last weekend and man I was bored, I know 30mins isnt long enough to judge a game but from what i did I landed in a game with 3 strangers and proceeded to swim across water and sold treasure then back on the boat again sailed somewhere else and did the same thing again, at this point I turned off and played pubg! maybe I am missing something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Played for about 30mins last weekend and man I was bored, I know 30mins isnt long enough to judge a game but from what i did I landed in a game with 3 strangers and proceeded to swim across water and sold treasure then back on the boat again sailed somewhere else and did the same thing again, at this point I turned off and played pubg! maybe I am missing something :confused:

Yes you are, the sea battles, boarding another ship and stealing their booty.
    I love getting shot out of the cannon too :D
    Land on the other boat, drop their anchor so they stop while your crew rams them

I can understand why that can seem boring, while PUBG should be accompanied with a can of Redbull (pardon the pun), SOT is accompanied by a glass of red wine. It's a slow mover but I need that considering how much PUBG i've been playing.. The PvP battles look great.. I'm stoked about getting on it. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys on here on the Sea in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Thought I'd squeeze in a quick game... Another 8.5gig update... Guess I won't be playing this weekend.

• Anyone in the dashboard preview should be able to play this weekend. Under insider content in the preview app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played all day today. Pretty game but man where has the hype from this game come from? It's awful, as dull as dishwater as my mother might say. I'm glad I got the beta in because I'd have been sick if I'd paid money for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Ah it's a bit of craic if you play with friends, it's something new that you can have a laugh playing as it's not too serious. It'll be well worth the price of one months game pass, I'm sure after that I'll have had enough and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Played all day today. Pretty game but man where has the hype from this game come from? It's awful, as dull as dishwater as my mother might say. I'm glad I got the beta in because I'd have been sick if I'd paid money for this.

are you playing alone or with a group?

I really don't understand the dull as a dishwasher comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mates. We all got drunk, had a good laugh for a an hour then it just became tedious, repetitive and I think worst of all, pointless once the novelty wore off. I personally found that doing what frankly felt like work just for some cosmetic change to not be motivation for playing the game and the PvE experience isn't interesting enough to make up for this. The PvP I had hopes for but it felt quite flat, no real urgency and I didn't feel any sense of achievement sinking a ship or killing another player. We killed, we died and the group consensus was meh. Especially when you have a battle going on and one person is basically just holding a mouse button attaching a plank to a leak and then carrying buckets of water up steps. Thrilling stuff.

Perhaps there's hope for it but right now I'm not buying in.

Oh and the xbox app on PC can go suck my balls. I've never had such unnecessary levels of confusion and frustration simply trying to start a game with friends although that's not the games fault really but it definitely soured the experience.

Advertisement