Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme cold weather from Feb 25th on, and now St. Patrick's Day on...

• 19-02-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Looks like we could be getting another 2010. some places could be in for half a foot of snow and widespread tempretures of up to -15 at night. dont know why met eirreann are not sending out a warning in time for farmers and fodder stocks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Looks like we could be getting another 2010. some places could be in for half a foot of snow and widespread tempretures of up to -15 at night. dont know why met eirreann are not sending out a warning in time for farmers and fodder stocks

Where was that forecast on?
    I was just expecting an " ordinary " frosty weekend . -2° or so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Check out the weather forum on boards

See this thread. I'm glued to it this past week.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057843266

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I think it will be similiar to that.

Up to -15°C doesnt mean much. Widespread temeratures would be a lot higher id imagine and under-10 would be in isolated areas of perfect conditions for low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Lads if there was any danger of that in sight met Eir would be issuing status red warnings. If it -1 there issuing warnings.

A lot of attention paid to air chair weathermen.

• Advertisement

Its still a week away too. Forecasts have been known to change.
    They had a red warning for the majority of the country when the south coast was the only area that fully warranted a status red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

ya they are mad for a repeat of 1947, the oul boys who farmed here before me said they never wanted to see it again.
    Snow is grand until you have to make your living in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Lads if there was any danger of that in sight met Eir would be issuing status red warnings. If it -1 there issuing warnings.

Red / orange / yellow warnings only given out 24-36 hours before event.

I hope they are wrong but by all accounts we are in for some seriously cold conditions from the weekend and into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Red / orange / yellow warnings only given out 24-36 hours before event.

I hope they are wrong but by all accounts we are in for some seriously cold conditions from the weekend and into next week.

Yeah if the forecast is still the same tomorrow evening, lads would want to start thinking about lagging pipes, topping up antifreeze, getting salt and grit for yards, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

As excited as I am about the science of next week,there is a lot of boards banter on that thread
    Met eireann do not issue warnings unless something is within 48 hours of happening
    They also do not go beyond 5 days usually but this is already creeping into their forecasts so it is worth keeping an eye on

I mentioned it here at least a week ago
    I actually would be concerned enough to make some simple preparations
    Fill your oil tanks both for the house and tractors
    Have enough dairy nuts or meal delivered
    Think about what you’d need to do if water pipes freeze
    Think about where you can get a portable tank to draw milk to central collection points if milk lorries cannot come
    Drain all water from the milking machine if this weather happens
    Whether it happens or not prepare for it

The UK met office think this could go on for about 2 weeks or more
    They do discuss potential future weather hazards
    Met eireann generally don’t
    So my best advice is prepare

• Advertisement

Met Éireann now have snow showers in their further outlook for the east and south

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Met Éireann now have snow showers in their further outlook for the east and south

If the snow held off, the frost might help dry the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I only listrn to the weather around silage time only so haven't heard any of this.

"2010"... The freezing temps started in early Dec and continued until nearly the end of Jan. The yards were deadly here. The diesel gummed up in the tractor diesel filters. Frozen drinkers.

We are nearly into March now. So that is one big difference. I believe the severity will not be as bad because of where we are in the calendar. I could be way wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

While I try and keep a level head, the danger seems to be the possibility of a heavy snowfall at some stage before this predicted cold spell is over.
    Think what happened in March in Down and Antrim a few years ago when army helicopters had to be brought in for farmers.
    The Sun is stronger this time of year. It's just the possibility of these extreme cold air temperatures forecasted mixing with a warmer (than the air) sea temperature or a low pressure system coming up from the south and interacting with the cold air is causing concern.

To the weather followers these charts are all their Christmases come at once. Never seen since sliced bread was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    I only listrn to the weather around silage time only so haven't heard any of this.

"2010"... The freezing temps started in early Dec and continued until nearly the end of Jan. The yards were deadly here. The diesel gummed up in the tractor diesel filters. Frozen drinkers.

We are nearly into March now. So that is one big difference. I believe the severity will not be as bad because of where we are in the calendar. I could be way wrong.

1947 was bad. My mother was born on the 10 of April that year and there were still snow drifts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

The weather forum is like a junior b team full of oldies that were good ballers once upon a time and are all living on past glories of the good old days. They prepare as best as possible but go out and inevitably get bet by 17 points. Come in sit in dressing room, look around at each other and wonder how and why things didnt go the way they predicted.

The weather forum is like a junior b team full of oldies that were good ballers once upon a time and are all living on past glories of the good old days. They prepare as best as possible but go out and inevitably get bet by 17 points. Come in sit in dressing room, look around at each other and wonder how and why things didnt go the way they predicted.

You never know they might win the next match. :p

whelan2 wrote: »
    1947 was bad. My mother was born on the 10 of April that year and there were still snow drifts

But did they go on for 6-8weeks like 2010?!

But did they go on for 6-8weeks like 2010?!

In 47 much of Leinster had snow on the ground for all of March yes

Here is MT Cranium’s take this morning ,his daily forecast on the weather forum and it’s not to be sniffed at
    He is a qualified meteorologist ,who has worked in the Canadian met
    He only comments in the drama threads on the weather forum when somethings up
    He does not bring that into his forecast thread unless somethings up

ADVANCE ALERT -- A spell of severe winter weather is now considered very likely starting around Sunday 25th and lasting perhaps a week or longer. Details are of course sketchy but the depth of cold air apparently heading west towards Ireland would suggest that temperatures could be well below freezing, and that snowfall is a strong possibility in the east, south and perhaps coastal areas of north and west as well, and we are seeing some charts on the most reliable models that are real jaw-droppers for snowfall potential, so be aware and check for updates, there is still a slight chance of a less intense outcome but with all global models marching in lock-step towards this scenario, confidence is growing.

SUNDAY is more likely to be turning colder in stages with temperatures falling sharply by afternoon and evening as stronger east winds develop (40 to 60 km/hr) adding quite a chill to temperatures around 2 to 5 C.

MONDAY to WEDNESDAY (26 to 28 Feb) are now looking very likely to be "Baltic" as the expression goes, in fact that's pretty much where the winds will originate, with some variations in direction between southeast and northeast as weak troughs develop in the arctic easterly flow. Temperatures will probably be well below normal with highs -2 to +2 C and lows -7 to -3 C, higher readings where these winds have just come in from the ocean or Irish Sea, lower readings well inland. Heavy snow showers are quite possible especially near east and south coasts, won't speculate on amounts yet but disruptive potential.

FURTHER OUTLOOK calls for this wintry spell to continue with the European model showing potential for a heavy snowfall around 1-2 March, stay tuned as these details could change, but in any event, it appears likely that the cold spell will get one or two reinforcements from the east, with only limited amounts of warming between the coldest spells. If it does snow heavily in some areas and then clears, temperatures could drop well below -8 C over snow in clear skies. The overall effects of this spell could be quite disruptive to travel. (The chances appear to be at least 70 per cent that some form of wintry weather will occur, whether it lasts as long as some guidance suggests might be more like 40 per cent probable).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

He only comments in the drama threads on the weather forum when somethings up
    He does not bring that into his forecast thread unless somethings up

Agreed!

Something is coming. Severity yet to be determined. Time to be sensible and make a few preparations while hoping for just mundanity.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Anyone looking for cheap trace heating cable kits, should go onto www.traceheatinguk.co.uk got 2x 37m pre-wired rolls for under 200 euro delivered, the only place in Ireland that quoted prices was over 700 euro for the equivelant kit

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for cheap trace heating cable kits, should go onto www.traceheatinguk.co.uk got 2x 37m pre-wired rolls for under 200 euro delivered, the only place in Ireland that quoted prices was over 700 euro for the equivelant kit

Have you just bought these or how you them fitted and tested? Beat running with kettles!

To put a positive slant on this weather thing, l reckon there will be great drying out which will be most welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id manage cold fine but by fcuk I hate snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Have you just bought these or how you them fitted and tested? Beat running with kettles!

To put a positive slant on this weather thing, l reckon there will be great drying out which will be most welcomed.

Would ya spread urea just in case they’re wrong?

I says wrote: »
    Would ya spread urea just in case they’re wrong?

I wouldn't personally due to my land. No fert ever goes out here before St. Patricks day... on a good year. Reckon will be well into April this year.

Back to the weather.... as a man once said to me 'sure we don't get weather in this country!' So true. We have to have alerts on the radio from Teresa Mannion telling us to drive slower as there is limited braking on icy roads. Really. The latest is the glare from the winter sun. Ah come off it! If somebody crashes, blame the council or 'the saltman.' The drama of it all. Just everyone use that thing between their ears and leave the drama to EastEnders. Oh God l knew this would happen one day.... im turning into a grumpy old man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I wouldn't personally due to my land. No fert ever goes out here before St. Patricks day... on a good year. Reckon will be well into April this year.

Back to the weather.... as a man once said to me 'sure we don't get weather in this country!' So true. We have to have alerts on the radio from Teresa Mannion telling us to drive slower as there is limited braking on icy roads. Really. The latest is the glare from the winter sun. Ah come off it! If somebody crashes, blame the council or 'the saltman.' The drama of it all. Just everyone use that thing between their ears and leave the drama to EastEnders. Oh God l knew this would happen one day.... im turning into a grumpy old man!!

Yeah ya are :D

Neighbours have the lawnmowers out in force.
    Daffodils are blooming. Cows are out.
    Sun is shining. Land is drying.

It would be a shame to tell em about the weather forecasts. The cows and daffodils that is.

I cut the lawn on Saturday! Some growth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Neighbours have the lawnmowers out in force.
    Daffodils are blooming. Cows are out.
    Sun is shining. Land is drying.

It would be a shame to tell em about the weather forecasts. The cows and daffodils that is.

I'll mow mine tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement