Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut and Bitcoin rate - It's not right?

• 19-02-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Anyone using revolut to do Bitcoin?

I had a look and the exchange rate is a long way off the mid market rate. Revolut say they charge 1.5% on transactions, but it's actually more like 6%
    Or am i reading it wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What exchange are you looking at? I've seen up to $1k difference between GDAX and Bitstamp (where they get their rates).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CryptoMad

Sounds like a case of arbitrage, unfortunately you can not transfer Bitcoin out of Revolut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Thedukester00

KellyXX wrote: »

I had a look and the exchange rate is a long way off the mid market rate. Revolut say they charge 1.5% on transactions, but it's actually more like 6%

Yes, I have a Revolut account and their rates are way off, you can only buy and sell within the app and not transfer out to a wallet.

I was looking at this as an option of trading btc etc but am thinking you are better off opening an account with Kraken or Coinbase.

Yes, I have a Revolut account and their rates are way off, you can only buy and sell within the app and not transfer out to a wallet.

I was looking at this as an option of trading btc etc but am thinking you are better off opening an account with Kraken or Coinbase.

The rates are bang on. You're probably also comparing to the wrong exchange. They use Bitstamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

The rates are bang on. You're probably also comparing to the wrong exchange. They use Bitstamp.

It's what they take on top of the rate when you buy them that's the problem with revolut

• Advertisement

It's what they take on top of the rate when you buy them that's the problem with revolut

The only benefit I see with my Revolut card is having it attached to Coinbase/Gdax exchange account.
    As mentioned before not much scope for now within the Ap if you cannot send to your wallet.

The only benefit I see with my Revolut card is having it attached to Coinbase/Gdax exchange account.
    As mentioned before not much scope for now within the Ap if you cannot send to your wallet.

Yeah, unless you can buy low and sell high in Revolut there's no real benefit at the moment. If you can call lows and highs, you should be loaded already. :pac:

You thought it was about 6% but it's clearly not. Where's the issue?

Coinbase charges 3.99% BTW.

Coinbase charges 3.99% BTW.[/QUOTE]

There is zero charge if you use the Gdax exchange through Coinbase.

I like the idea of Revolut but the hidden fees and that fact you have to sign up to 12 months to use the Premium service for crypto is very shady.

Also a mentioned their rates are NOT the same as Bitsamp, as they add a 1.5% spread on the rates apparently to take into account market depth and volatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Yeah, unless you can buy low and sell high in Revolut there's no real benefit at the moment. If you can call lows and highs, you should be loaded already. :pac:

Coinbase charges 3.99% BTW.

It was 6% when I did it yesterday. Buy some bitcoin on revolute, then tell me how much they took off the top when the transaction is done. I think you may be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know why Revolut will not let me link my revolut card with coinbase?

• Advertisement

Because Revolut doesn't have 3D secure. You can only use it with SEPA transfers.

My readings fine, funnyman unlike your maths.

From Revolut - “our rates are derived from our exchange partner. They are calculated as a Volume Weighted Average Price (VWAP) with a mark-up of 1.5% to account for trading volatility and the price you see in the app is locked in at the time of the exchange. Please refer to our FAQs for more info”

I’m a big fan of Revolut in general. Have recommended the service to numerous friends. However, by looking at the spreads of these rates, the fees for this service are not 1.5%

My biggest worry is that when volatility increases, I’m sure Revolut will also increase their spread from 5% to maybe 10% making it almost impossible (ridiculously expensive) to either put in or pull out your money.

If they’re pushing for “Transparency” and thus charge 1.5% fees for “volatility”, then the spread for any of these crypto-currencies should not exceed 3% at any given point.

Check out this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRSjfQRcjE

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I like the idea of Revolut but the hidden fees and that fact you have to sign up to 12 months to use the Premium service for crypto is very shady.

You don't have to sign up for premium but you may have to be patient. Crypto purchases were unlocked for me today but with the fees and not having a way to transfer coins out I'll probably not use it. I guess it has the benefit of not having to wait for a SEPA transfer to an exchange if you really wanted to buy in a hurry.

My readings fine, funnyman unlike your maths.

From Revolut - “our rates are derived from our exchange partner. They are calculated as a Volume Weighted Average Price (VWAP) with a mark-up of 1.5% to account for trading volatility and the price you see in the app is locked in at the time of the exchange. Please refer to our FAQs for more info”

I’m a big fan of Revolut in general. Have recommended the service to numerous friends. However, by looking at the spreads of these rates, the fees for this service are not 1.5%

My biggest worry is that when volatility increases, I’m sure Revolut will also increase their spread from 5% to maybe 10% making it almost impossible (ridiculously expensive) to either put in or pull out your money.

If they’re pushing for “Transparency” and thus charge 1.5% fees for “volatility”, then the spread for any of these crypto-currencies should not exceed 3% at any given point.

Sorry, yes, I get you now.

Advertisement