Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving in our game

• 17-02-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

It's one thing that I think everybody hates to see in soccer and it has been creeping into the GAA recently. The GAA should set an example of what happened today and that fullback should be given a 3/4 match ban. It's totally unacceptable and could well have cost Corofin a place in the final.
    It's in the video below for anyone who didn't see it live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Recently? Been happening for years! If it’s not diving for a soft free it’s time wasting with an injury, everyone does it club & county! Boils your blood when the opposition does it but we’re all delighted when one of our own does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Also ducking into tackles and hitting the ground is a serious problem, looks like they've been taken down by the neck and a yellow card given out for doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

While that incident in the Moorefield game was an utter disgrace - and the ref has to take a large amount of the blame, cos there's just nothing there - don't fool yourself into thinking this is a recent thing. It's been happening for decades, but is definitely more common now.

Pat Spillane did such a bad job of acting in the 1980 All-Ireland final that commentator Micheal O'Hehir commented on his "Lazerus-like recovery" when he went on a long solo-run immediately after spending ages on the ground being treated for what looked like a serious injury. There was also a mention of Oscars.

I could give a long list of blatant cheating over the decades, but just like fairyball soccer, it won't disappear until there is a very obvious concerted effort from those in charge to actually get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

What are you suspending the full back for? I mean under what rule do you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

There was a good bit of play acting in that game . Usually there is a 'halffoul' and then Abit of exaggeration. It's easier to see from tv, if you were reffing in real time you'd want the eyes of a hawk. If you have played for a long time at a high level you might take an educated guess from body movements in real time to come to a decision without actually seeing all contacts or lack thereof.
    For that particular foul highlighted here I would of given a red, not because of the non knee to face and subsequent play acting, but for the agricultural 'brought to the ground' tackle followed by the intimatetory harrasment.
    This carry on is indemic , pulling dragging intimation, sledging. It should be changed by the top brass of GAA, but it won't, 'coz sending a man off ' sure it would ruin the game'.
    Do kids really enjoy playing gaelic now. Many kids and parents are choosing more fun pastimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

rpurfield wrote: »

This is an excellent question. Does anyone with a better grasp of the rules than me know if any rule covers it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GAA players have been diving for decades, the old "grab the defenders arm and throw yourself to the ground" trick is endemic to the game. The only real shock is that referees seem to be the only people in the ground that can't immediately spot it.

Don't anybody kid themselves that GAA will become more like soccer, its already far scummier than soccer and has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No stopping it.

It started in soccer to gain an advantage. It worked.

In GAA it is now win at any cost, so too late folks. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

lalababa wrote: »
    For that particular foul highlighted here I would of given a red, not because of the non knee to face and subsequent play acting, but for the agricultural 'brought to the ground' tackle followed by the intimatetory harrasment.

Well thankfully you're not a referee then!

The full-forward tried to play the ball and even got a hand on it, the two of them came to the ground together, there was a very light push as the full-back tried to get up and that was it! The foul was the push, not the falling together. But you somehow twist this into "intimatetory harrasment" to suit some twisted opinion you have in your head about the GAA.

Did you notice the other Moorefield players quickly got on with the game even as their teammate lay 'prone' on the ground? They obviously saw nothing wrong (because nothing happened) and they were right beside the 'incident'.

But don't let that stop you taking the easy option of slagging off the GAA - it's all the rage don't you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭lalababa

megadodge wrote: »
    Well thankfully you're not a referee then!

The full-forward tried to play the ball and even got a hand on it, the two of them came to the ground together, there was a very light push as the full-back tried to get up and that was it! The foul was the push, not the falling together. But you somehow twist this into "intimatetory harrasment" to suit some twisted opinion you have in your head about the GAA.

Did you notice the other Moorefield players quickly got on with the game even as their teammate lay 'prone' on the ground? They obviously saw nothing wrong (because nothing happened) and they were right beside the 'incident'.

But don't let that stop you taking the easy option of slagging off the GAA - it's all the rage don't you know!

Oooooh hit a nerve 'ave I? Just a coming together hand on the ball sort of thing ? Oooooh naughty naughty yellow card for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Oooooh hit a nerve 'ave I? Just a coming together hand on the ball sort of thing ? Oooooh naughty naughty yellow card for you.

Well, this got weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why am I reading this with a David Walliams voice. Very weird. Definitely not the stereotypical manly GAA type talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

]QUOTE=bucketybuck;106186073]GAA players have been diving for decades, the old "grab the defenders arm and throw yourself to the ground" trick is endemic to the game. The only real shock is that referees seem to be the only people in the ground that can't immediately spot it.

Don't anybody kid themselves that GAA will become more like soccer, its already far scummier than soccer and has been for a long time.[/QU

I haven't seen as blatant as Stephen O'Brien did it yesterday for Kerry. And like you say the ref must have been the only person in the ground who didn't cop it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

rpurfield wrote: »

I don't think there is a rule, but Congress should put one in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I believe that there is a rule for diving, but certainly not one that could result in a suspension of any kind. Look how quickly the Tiernan McCann suspension was thrown out a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I believe that there is a rule for diving, but certainly not one that could result in a suspension of any kind. Look how quickly the Tiernan McCann suspension was thrown out a couple of years ago.

5.8 To attempt to achieve an advantage by feigning a
    foul or injury.
    PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
    (i) Caution offender; order off for second
    cautionable foul.
    (ii) If play has been stopped for a foul, a
    free kick from where play was stopped,
    except as provided under Exceptions of
    Rule 2.2.

Copied from the official guide part 2. A red for diving will need a rule change. Equally where I asked it originally there is no suspending someone just for doing it either

Advertisement