Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was fully expecting to click on that and see overpriced tat...that MK2 one isn't bad at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be interesting to see if the boards are mod friendly too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's some more information.
    Apparently there a Asteroids Deluxe one year GS aren't advertising and out comes with Tempest!

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/2/16/17019860/arcade1up-cabinets-street-fighter-2-asteroids-centipede

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They look very good, and not excessively overpriced. (still more than I can afford). Imagining the size is tricky for me, even with the little scale diagram they have.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

My mistake, five cabs alright but they don't have the Asteroids Deluxe one, with Tempest now filled into the Asteroids cab instead.
    The Capcom one does not look terrible either, SF2, Final Fight, Strider and Ghosts'n Goblins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Those are not bad at all. Be a great option for someone who isn't into building or restoring. Have some backup since it's a big company that's selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Could a PI3 be hooked up to one of these and run retropie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

On first glance, they look like a no-brainer for many. I'd definitely give them some consideration.

Pros:

Affordable
    Flat pack so I assume the pieces are ready to go together/easy assembly
    Good games
    Very home friendly dimensions
    Strong possibility of adding new games/systems etc

Cons:

Small 17" Lcd Monitor
    Buttons and sticks are likely the lowest/cheapest quality
    Likely to not have a a very advanced scanline system, if any at all, meaning very poor visuals.

I would imagine if I bought one, I'd want to rip all of the controls out & replace them with decent quality ones. I'd likely want to rip out the brains/guts of the machine & replace with something far more capable...meaning €400 for a wooden box essentially. Still though, half tempting.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Could a PI3 be hooked up to one of these and run retropie?

I'd say it's likely that thry are running off of something similar.
    Could be possible to swap it out.
    Have to modular and capable of running the different control panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this looks like exactly what I was looking for the Man Cave
    something that I could put together easily and have some games on it
    would definitely like to see if this can be modded to add more games so will wait till the retro guys on here buy one and do the needful :D
    also maybe if a base could be created to raise it a couple of feet, maybe something like this

cabinet-appealing-diy-arcade-cabinet-design-homemade-arcade-arcade-machine-homemade-cabinet-l-311f7a26b6fa26a5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looking at the scale pictures they kinda look like they're the same size as my two cabs. Might go well alongside!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus id love the mortal combat and street fighter one's be great if they did a neo geo one aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I think the price is spot on for something you can pick up ready to play in a bricks and mortar store!

Think of the prices the chancers on adverts try and sell self built cabs for with RPi 3's, these are great value imo.

I'd actually be torn trying to buy one of these.

The Street Fighter II artwork is probably the ugliest out of all of them, (i know its the same for the original cab)
    but happens to have the best control panel with 6 buttons for in game controls per player as well as the 2 Start buttons.

The Mortal Kombat cab is probably one of the nicest looking ones but only has 5 buttons per player.

I wonder if the original manufacturer would sell control panels seperately?

Can't seem to see who exactly the manufactuer of these things is, surely cant find a website for "At-Home" if thats the name of them.

Edit: Someone didn't read the article correctly!
    The company making these are Tastemakers LLC and the product line will be called Arcade1UP.

http://www.wishholdings.com/

They are a bit obscure, seems like the product has yet to be reviewed or even tried out by anyone.
    I think knowing what is powering the emulation and the quality of that would go a long way to encourage investment.
    If one could put in a compact format PC or RPi it would be very interesting indeed.
    For example, if one bought the SF2 cab and stuck in a dedicated Capcom fighter RPi3, it'd be impressive, making use of that CP.

Just noticed that they're not expected to sell until the 20th of October, just in time for Chrismtas.

I bet Arcade and Retro enthusiasts aren't complaining about Gamestop selling merch now! :D

Doge wrote: »
    Just noticed that they're not expected to sell until the 20th of October, just in time for Chrismtas.

I bet Arcade and Retro enthusiasts aren't complaining about Gamestop selling merch now! :D

In the balance of probability these are probably sh1te, so we won't get too ahead of ourselves!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In the balance of probability these are probably sh1te, so we won't get too ahead of ourselves!

For the price, & what you're getting, I'd be surprised if they weren't ****e tbh. With a few extra quid thrown at them though, you'd make them decent - but then again, you're then at that point of just buying the real thing (a Jamma cab).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PR here, https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/golden-age-classic-arcade-cabinets-coming-to-a-home-near-you-674172363.html

Toy fair starts today so should be some reviews in the next few days I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I am definitely preordering that rampage joust cab

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looking at the scale pictures they kinda look like they're the same size as my two cabs. Might go well alongside!
    are they some of the taito mini's that came out of that arcade vault cow shed in cork ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ugly flat screens. I'm out

Ugly flat screens. I'm out

All the best.

Its very interesting how the licensing will work on these, thats if they can even get a license.

Also the mystery of the hardware inside is interesting also, i doubt its running mame?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,701 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Midway and Capcom have been pretty open about giving licenses to other companies. I'd be pretty sure they got the licenses for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Mortal Kombat cab really does look nice, but Mortal Kombat 4? Why?

yeah surely they'd have done the 1st 3 and Ultimate rather than 4

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Anyone else bite? I preordered the rampage cab today, €50, now we play the waiting game...

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Anyone else bite? I preordered the rampage cab today, €50, now we play the waiting game...

I want to see one in the flesh .
    I'll admit I scoffed at first but they do look better than the muck on adverts etc,
    And the size/price is spot on I think.

• Advertisement

I can't decide between the MK and Streetfighter one

Advertisement