Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Be interesting to see how long that lasts. Don,t get me wrong for a while Jeremy was the funniest and best part of Top Gear well until it got boring. I tried to watch 'The Grand Tour' recently but found myself fast forwarding past loads of it. Just a bunch of big immature men playing with expensive toys. It gets boring after a while.
    I am not saying he can not be serious or is not clever just that a lot of people might not like that he is doing it and might not follow it because of that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

AMKC wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how long that lasts. Don,t get me wrong for a while Jeremy was the funniest and best part of Top Gear well until it got boring. I tried to watch 'The Grand Tour' recently but found myself fast forwarding past loads of it. Just a bunch of big immature men playing with expensive toys. It gets boring after a while.
    I am not saying he can not be serious or is not clever just that a lot of people might not like that he is doing it and might not follow it because of that.

Yea, he could be iffy but at least not a total put off like Schofield. (For me anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

With the greatest of respect, I wouldn't fully trust the tabloids. :o

In any case, I don't think I'd watch any Millionaire revival. Chris Tarrant was Millionaire, and Millionaire was Chris Tarrant - and I believe that since the original show ended, he has said on at least one occasion that he doesn't think he'd ever do it again.

Also, the original show only ended four years ago - so it feels a bit too soon for a revival. (Admittedly, Dancing on Ice was itself off the air for four years before coming back - but it *didn't* feel too soon as the original DOI didn't last as long as Millionaire.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good show. Clarkson would be a rubbish host however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The answer is C...... Or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Or else face the possibility of another industrial relations and race relations disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

With the greatest of respect, I wouldn't fully trust the tabloids. :o

In any case, I don't think I'd watch any Millionaire revival. Chris Tarrant was Millionaire, and Millionaire was Chris Tarrant - and I believe that since the original show ended, he has said on at least one occasion that he doesn't think he'd ever do it again.

Also, the original show only ended four years ago - so it feels a bit too soon for a revival. (Admittedly, Dancing on Ice was itself off the air for four years before coming back - but it *didn't* feel too soon as the original DOI didn't last as long as Millionaire.)

And it's been about 7 years since the civilian show ended too I reckon? From what I recall it was celebrity specials only for the last few years

In all honesty the show pretty much finished as a force from the 2003-2005 period, although I think it steadily declined from about 2001 onwards.

That said it was always going to come back in some form, and even if this is BS, it'll be back on our screens within the next few years I'd be fairly certain.

hard to believe it's 20 years now since it first aired. Such a different time - I remember they had no idea what the reaction would be when they first launched. The first episodes are all on YouTube. There are glitches all over the place yet it came off excellently. It's hard to quite get across just how huge offering 100million pounds in a quizshow was back then - mainly good prizes were weekends away or cars etc.

It was all the talk at the time - over in the UK you could barely go to the shops at the time without hearing about last night's episode. The ratings were absolutely through the roof. It originally ran on consecutive nights over a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RTÉ should bring back the Irish version

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

branie2 wrote: »

I'd like that to!

• Advertisement

It's scary to think that when the Irish series first aired Gay Byrne was 66 and now he's nearly 84!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

branie2 wrote: »

Ray Darcy should do it

He's great at working out which buttons to press.

" is it A ....oh hang on ...tap tap tap B ..no A .

Ray Darcy should do it

He's great at working out which buttons to press.

" is it A ....oh hang on ...tap tap tap B ..no A .

Twitter would have a melt down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Great format for a quiz. Can be very entertaining. Can't see Clarkson as the host though. Someone like Alexander Armstrong or Sue Perkins would be better I think. You need someone who can sympathize with the contestant and guide them through the game, and I can't see Clarkson doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yer man the guy from the apprentice who did countdown would be good

jr86 wrote: »
    And it's been about 7 years since the civilian show ended too I reckon? From what I recall it was celebrity specials only for the last few years

Yep, almost entirely celeb specials for the last three years.

There were a few live civilian episodes during this period - but they turned out to be a bit of a disaster. Of course, by this point, Millionaire had introduced a clock for the first few questions, which nobody liked...

In all honesty the show pretty much finished as a force from the 2003-2005 period, although I think it steadily declined from about 2001 onwards.

For many, it stopped being must-watch television once Judith Keppel won the million.

Shortly afterwards, David Edwards won the top prize himself, and from then on it really was wallpaper TV. By the time Ingram Wilcox became the fifth and final millionaire in 2006, viewing figures had fallen to around four million - compared to at least ten million during the show's glory days.

hard to believe it's 20 years now since it first aired. Such a different time - I remember they had no idea what the reaction would be when they first launched. The first episodes are all on YouTube. There are glitches all over the place yet it came off excellently. It's hard to quite get across just how huge offering 100million pounds in a quizshow was back then - mainly good prizes were weekends away or cars etc.

At the start of the '90s, the most that could be given away on an episode of any game show was £6,000. (The $64,000 Question with Bob Monkhouse had a top prize of £6,400, but was only allowed to give this away every other episode.)

This limit was abolished in 1993 - but until Millionaire began five years later, many game shows treaded carefully (with the notable exception of the short-lived Raise the Roof with Bob Holness, which offered houses worth nearly £100,000). Indeed, Wheel of Fortune's £20,000 prize was being promoted as the biggest on UK game shows as late as June 1998 - just three months before Millionaire's debut:

https://twitter.com/AdamNostalgia/status/789818352655011840

It originally ran on consecutive nights over a couple of weeks

Indeed it did - only airing when ITV had a good reason.

Becoming a regular, thrice-weekly series in autumn 2000 was perhaps another sign that the glory period was ending, even if the million hadn't been won yet. Two years later, it moved to Saturday nights only - and thus found itself rather playing second fiddle to Ant, Dec and Simon Cowell.

Watching episodes from the mid-2000s on YouTube, however, it's clear that Tarrant enjoyed presenting the show as much as ever. Only around the start of the 2010s - as the celeb episodes became more and more commonplace, the payouts became smaller as more and more contestants opted to leave the game early, and the clock was introduced - did his enthusiasm really start to go.

As I said, he was Millionaire and Millionaire was him. However good any other host would be, they simply wouldn't be *quite* as good as Tarrant. "Here's a cheque for £64,000... but we don't want to give you that!" :D

Looks like the tabloids were actually *right* about the show coming back... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.itv.com/beontv/shows/whowantstobeamillionaire

They're not yet right about Clarkson hosting, however. I would be fairly surprised if Tarrant was tempted back, though.

Regardless, it still feels a bit too soon. There's no doubt that Millionaire was always going to be revived at some point - but, personally, I would have waited until 2020 at the earliest.

And I still don't think I'd watch. Even if Clarkson, or whoever, turned out to be really good, they still wouldn't be *quite* as good as this fisherman... :D:D

IMGP5476.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I would love to see Clarkson play a nasty Anne Robinson (or Cornelia Frances (Morag from Home & Away) on the Weakest link type quizmaster...

he could be like the guys on the chase and trying to wrestle the money off the contestants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Great format for a quiz.

It is and it isn't. The format was getting old and annoying the more it went on. The questions for the decent money are good and always quite tough and that's the best thing it has going for it as it's a proper test of knowledge, but the faffing around during questions and after answering questions was beyond irritating, and giving that it was on ITV at the time meant that there was a break every 15 minutes. So, there really was only about 15 minutes of actual question time per episode. But, of course, the big money meant that it could only use that kind of format, for fear of them giving away too much money.

What I'd do is increase the amount of questions, have more increments with regard to the cash (maybe go up in steps of 10,000 per question up to 100,000, then 100,000 per question after that, so 20 decent questions increasing in difficulty), get rid of the stupid questions leading up to 1000, less of the "drama" with asking the contestant "is that your final answer" and "are you sure" 50 times. You can do drama, but it doesn't have to last as long as it did.

Of course, I don't know about everyone else, they probably enjoyed the way it was. For me, as an old school pub quizzer, these things would make it more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Richard Osman, could drop in little random facts on the answered questions.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    What I'd do is increase the amount of questions, have more increments with regard to the cash (maybe go up in steps of 10,000 per question up to 100,000, then 100,000 per question after that, so 20 decent questions increasing in difficulty), get rid of the stupid questions leading up to 1000

The 2007 revamp eliminated the three easiest questions and increased the second safe haven from £32,000 to £50,000:

Wwtbamtree2.jpg

Unfortunately, it also increased the difficulty of the questions beyond the second safe haven - no-one, civilian or celebrity, won more than £150,000. And, of course, the recession reduced the payouts too.

Relikk wrote: »
    get rid of the stupid questions leading up to 1000,

Yeah, having 5 questions before the 1000 was always a bugbear of mine. At least they decreased it to 2 in later years

That said I always felt it was very harsh that people could leave with nothing. They often travel a long way, the studio lights and cameras can definitely affect some people and they were liable to receive abuse from the public if they failed early.

Maybe they should have had £100-200-200-500-1000 as milestones in their own right (so if you got the £100 question correct as everyone did on the history of the Uk show, you'd leave with at least £100 and so on).

jr86 wrote: »
    That said I always felt it was very harsh that people could leave with nothing. They often travel a long way, the studio lights and cameras can definitely affect some people and they were liable to receive abuse from the public if they failed early.

Of course, leaving with nothing is an attribute of just about every money-offering game show these days, thanks to the Weakest Link. (Even some Deal or No Deal contestants went home with nothing in that show's later years.)

And it's certainly true that being in that TV studio with the hot lights, the rolling cameras and the knowledge that millions will be watching can affect some contestants - it happened more often than not on the Weakest Link, and it happens more often than not on The Chase and Tipping Point. Travelling a long distance to the studio may well be a factor, too.

All that said, it's still kind of fun watching Millionaire's "zeroaires" - especially the first one, John Davidson... :o:o:D

Of course, leaving with nothing is an attribute of just about every money-offering game show these days, thanks to the Weakest Link. (Even some Deal or No Deal contestants went home with nothing in that show's later years.)

And it's certainly true that being in that TV studio with the hot lights, the rolling cameras and the knowledge that millions will be watching can affect some contestants - it happened more often than not on the Weakest Link, and it happens more often than not on The Chase and Tipping Point. Travelling a long distance to the studio may well be a factor, too.

All that said, it's still kind of fun watching Millionaire's "zeroaires" - especially the first one, John Davidson... :o:o:D

Did you ever get a chance to read Tarrant's book?

It's brilliant, singles out a few of the more memorable episodes including the above

They were absolutely shocked when the Geordie guy above fluffed up. By all accounts he flew it in rehearsals, and was a sure-fire 32,000 plus contestant

It's almost heartbreaking seeing Chris desperately trying to help and he still pushes that answer without looking at Chris (where eye contact would clearly have told him he was on the wrong path)

Chris, anyway, pointed out that with the early questions, sometimes they're so "easy" that contestants don't even consider a lifeline and fully believe subconsciously they must "know" the answer. leads to incidents like the above. If that was playing for anything above £1000 he surely would have doubted himself more and thought through it a lot more

That said the most infamous £0 winner was Michelle Simmonds. She struggled on the opening question, and that was it - she was completely flustered.

When the guy left with nothing on the Irish edition I remember Eircell giving him a voucher for £300 or something. I recall even the audience put him wrong, when he answered a Jenny was a female rabbit as opposed to a doe (doe WTF :confused: ). Talk about a stinker for £300 FFS! Really is luck of the draw

Travelling a long distance to the studio may well be a factor, too.]

I used to always assume they were put up in a hotel or something, until the Charles Ingram scandal where it was revealed they finalised the plan to cheat in the car on the way home back to Wiltshire after the first episode he was on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Should give it to Noel Edmonds he needs a job now. After that disgrace of a show Deal or no deal. The most stupifying awful boring garbage ever to be called a game show. It had it all hard luck stories the banker and it was based around clowns opening cardboard boxes. As for Millionaire it got stale viewing figures plummeted can't see Clarkeson making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The contract is signed. Clarkson is now been confirmed as host for Millionaire. It will air for a week in the spring.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-03-09/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-returns-to-itv-with-jeremy-clarkson/

Interesting - going back to the original format of episodes aired on consecutive nights. Always preferred that way

They had to get their token mention of the Major in :D

let it go guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As I said, he was Millionaire and Millionaire was him. However good any other host would be, they simply wouldn't be *quite* as good as Tarrant.
    I never thought there was anything special about him. At the time I never once heard anybody comment about him being good in any way either. I thought he was an odd choice at the time and I did not like the drawn out crap, and the weird put on faces he would have. I know he was obviously told to drag it out but it was very tedious.

I would be quicker to tune in to see some of the people who happened to be mention in this thread doing it. Clarkson, Ant & Dec or even Simon Cowell!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I never thought there was anything special about him. At the time I never once heard anybody comment about him being good in any way either. I thought he was an odd choice at the time and I did not like the drawn out crap, and the weird put on faces he would have. I know he was obviously told to drag it out but it was very tedious.

I would be quicker to tune in to see some of the people who happened to be mention in this thread doing it. Clarkson, Ant & Dec or even Simon Cowell!

Well, each to their own. :o:)

And Tarrant did also host a number of game shows that were nowhere near as good as Millionaire, to put it mildly.

That Radio Times article says that ITV are unable to confirm why he isn't hosting this revival. They don't *have* to confirm why, though, do they? As I've said before, he has stated on at least one occasion that he doesn't think he'd ever do Millionaire again - plus he hasn't been in the best of health in recent years.

Advertisement