Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 2040 Planning Framework & associated Investment Plan discussion [NO ROADS]

• 16-02-2018 1:50pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Revealed at 2pm today.

For discussion of the plan itself and investment alongside it. No roads discussion - discuss roads in the Roads forum.

Civil discussion only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a great start

http://npf.ie/about/
    Our website is currently undergoing maintenance in preparation for the launch of Project Ireland 2040 later today.

Thank you for your patience. We are doing some work on the site and will be back shortly.

In the interim you can find more information on Project Ireland 2040 at the following link: www.gov.ie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This should be interesting. So far, they've been making all the right noises, and in particular, they've stated that they want this to last regardless of political change, with an independent regulator to ensure that it continues post government change. Probably impossible to bullet proof everything, but it would be great if the major elements of the plan survive a change in government.

I've long believed that the major problem in Ireland has been in the inability to stick to a plan, so hopefully this goes some way to fixing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not a great start

http://npf.ie/about/

In fairness, it only needs to work at 2pm. They've still got time......

Tick tock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You can view it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can view it here.

Hmm 10 plans but 9 links as one of them is a "dup".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

for public transport plans page 53 onwards of the National Development plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

Metro North is now Metro Link, and the DART expansion is essentially DART Underground minus the interconnector tunnel. If they can manage to get all that done by 2027, an awful lot of the commuter issues into Dublin will be sorted, and the case for creating the Interconnector tunnel will be impossible to ignore.

The bus networks for Galway, Cork and Dublin also look good and realistic.

I'll read the rest of it in a while, but those parts are very well put together for me.

the estimated completion date for BusConnects........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

When ye get through it, can you tell me if :

We are banning one-off housing?

Are we being serious about developing the regional cities or are we just going to throw infrastructure at Cork because it's currently the second largest city?

Are there any significant rail projects in there?

thomasj wrote: »
    the estimated completion date for BusConnects........:eek:

Seems like nearly everything has a completion date of 2027. I'd hazard a guess that this is a bit of political play, i.e. "We've managed to complete the Galway Bus Connects 5 years early!!!"

At least, that's what I hope......

CatInABox wrote: »
    Seems like nearly everything has a completion date of 2027. I'd hazard a guess that this is a bit of political play, i.e. "We've managed to complete the Galway Bus Connects 5 years early!!!"

At least, that's what I hope......

Yeah - or more so to prevent them from being accused of not delivering on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Am I reading that right, Metro North but no DART Underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭funnyname

Just tried watching the announcement on rte news now but listening to Heather Humphreys makes watch pain dry seem like the most exciting thing on earth.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DART to Hazelhatch, Drogheda and Maynooth (€2bn allocation) but no tunnel.

Metro Swords-Sandyford is included.

post 2027 for the tunnel

A 50% pro rata population increase in the regional cities is a real blunder anyway. It ignores the fact that it might make more sense to develop Galway or Limerick to a greater extent than Cork.

A 50% pro rata population increase in the regional cities is a real blunder anyway. It ignores the fact that it might make more sense to develop Galway or Limerick to a greater extent than Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zulutango wrote: »
    Why?

• Advertisement

When ye get through it, can you tell me if :

We are banning one-off housing?

Are we being serious about developing the regional cities or are we just going to throw infrastructure at Cork because it's currently the second largest city?

Outside of Metro Link and DART Expansion, no. That was always going to be the case though, despite the hopes of the Western Rail Corridor supporters. There's always going to be something that more cost efficient than a project like that.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Outside of Metro Link and DART Expansion, no. That was always going to be the case though, despite the hopes of the Western Rail Corridor supporters. There's always going to be something that more cost efficient than a project like that.
    There is a part about the potential of the Navan line and Western Rail Corridor if either reach demand states during the lifetime of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

marno21 wrote: »
    DART to Hazelhatch, Drogheda and Maynooth (€2bn allocation) but no tunnel.

Metro Swords-Sandyford is included.
    thomasj wrote: »
    post 2027 for the tunnel

Would've thought the DART Underground (tunnel) was a bigger priority than the Metro North. Will just run the Maynooth DART via the Pheonix Park tunnel then so?

marno21 wrote: »
    Why?

Why what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So Dublin might get a few bits of new public transport infrastructure in a decade's time, quite a bit which duplicates existing lines. No new LUAS lines. No Dart underground. No station at Stephen's Green per the IT.

Meanwhile 3/4 of the population growth is forecast for outside Dublin, which is rubbish.

This plan is a handout to rural politicians - Dublin has ground to a halt this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

This
    an examination of opportunities for improvements in journey times and investment in high-speed rail links between Belfast, Dublin and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

hmmm wrote: »
    So Dublin might get a few bits of new public transport infrastructure in a decade's time, quite a bit which duplicates existing lines. No new LUAS lines. No Dart underground. No station at Stephen's Green per the IT.

Meanwhile 3/4 of the population growth is forecast for outside Dublin, which is rubbish.

This plan is a handout to rural politicians - Dublin has ground to a halt this year.

Bus Connects (1 bl) , 4 new luas lines/extensions (2 bl???),MN (3 bl), DART (2 bl) . What more do you want barring DU? That's circa 8 BL in 10 years if my guesstimates on the Luas costs hold up

hmmm wrote: »

Why is that rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

based on what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bus Connects , 4 new luas lines/extensions ,MN, DART . What more do you want barring DU?
    Bus Connects is already apparently funded, and we now get a date of 2027 before it's completed.

The plan says no money for new LUAS lines. Lots of feasibility studies. Yes it's feasible, we don't need to wait until 2027 to find this out.

Metro North is new, but we've been hearing about this forever.

Extension of DART all over the countryside isn't going to help Dublin commuters much.

Advertisement