Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distribution rules

• 13-02-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭

When an off licence doesn't stock a particular beer can they order it in or are there restrictions on certain products? I've never worked in retail but I've inquired about certain brands and even the high end stores have said that they just don't stock it, I've tried ordering directly but the companies say that they don't distribute in Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They can order it if somebody in Ireland is selling it wholesale. If it's foreign and nobody is importing it, then they can't get it, unless they import it themselves, which they're unlikely to want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

BeerNut wrote: »
    They can order it if somebody in Ireland is selling it wholesale. If it's foreign and nobody is importing it, then they can't get it, unless they import it themselves, which they're unlikely to want to do.

Is this because of extra cost?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is this because of extra cost?
    Are you asking why off licences don't arrange their own imports? It's the same reason you don't: it would involve getting extra licences, arranging logistics, and negotiating with suppliers, all of which amounts to setting up an entirely new business. It's not going to be worth the cost or effort when there are already importers selling beer you can just buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

BeerNut wrote: »
    Are you asking why off licences don't arrange their own imports? It's the same reason you don't: it would involve getting extra licences, arranging logistics, and negotiating with suppliers, all of which amounts to setting up an entirely new business. It's not going to be worth the cost or effort when there are already importers selling beer you can just buy.

I have very little knowledge of retail like I said originally, so basically off licences are limited to what the importers decide to bring in. I'll probably just arrange a trip over to Belgium and fill a boot up with the beer I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seanachai wrote: »
    I have very little knowledge of retail like I said originally, so basically off licences are limited to what the importers decide to bring in.

That's it in a nutshell.
    Unless said off licence decides to become an importer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement