Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quiet Place (Emily Blunt and John Krasinski SciFi/Horror)

• 05-02-2018 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Thought there was a thread for this already cos I'd seen the first trailer.

Superbowl:

Trailer 1:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw the first trailer donkeys ago and thought, as trailers go, it was a masterful slice of tension in of itself. That moment when the lamp gets tipped over was positively bum-clenching.

That said, this might be interesting: lord knows modern horror films rely WAY too much on (what Kermode refers to), as the whole 'quietquietquiet BANG' lazy trop of jump scares. This COULD simply end up being 'Jump Scares: The Movie' if they don't know what they're doing; if they do, it could yet be a fantastic thriller, but we'll see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

John Krasinski & Emily Blunt team up with the former directing.

Gotta say, this looks tense as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

reminds me of The Last of Us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looks good and tense. I've a feeling there is going to be some convenient happy resolution pulled out of the bag though as there is no way they could survive a labour (nevermind a crying baby) in that world. So, they either end on a bleak note or this random family manages to find a way to defeat the aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this a silent film :p

Maybe it's the advertising campaign but I'm getting those hype tingles..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

#stayquiet

lol

OK! This is on the to-watch list!

After seeing Grace's review, I googled and see it's got: google:
    446958.jpg

Just need to find somewhere quiet to watch it.. or wait for it to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's advance previews in my local Omniplex on Monday.. definitely considering going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Didn't realise John Krasinski directed it as well.

Pretty much only knew him as Jim from the US Office till 13 Hours where I thought he was very good.

Interesting to see a real life husband and wife acting as a film husband and wife.

I love the premise and the trailers look great.

Reminds me of a book I started recently "Bird Box" where something inexplicable is happening but it affects those who see it so the protagonists have to navigate the world blindfolded.

Looking forward to this one.

Reviews are certainly encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I enjoyed it. It's not particularly scary if you're going for the horror aspect although there are some tense moments. There's a nice play between it being deadly quiet (trying to eat your popcorn will make you self conscious for large parts of this movie) and then being loud and full of action. Everyone does a good job acting especially as there's barely any spoken dialogue and it doesn't outstay it's welcome by being overly long.

If I put my nitpicking hat on I would say (one reasonable spoiler below just in case you're tempted):
    A sound brings a monster almost immediately but you see on a number of occasions that they don't move THAT fast yet they always appears within a second or two despite a note on a board saying there was only 3 spotted in the area.

The monsters are also blind which is fine but despite their ability to navigate the world flawlessly whatever sort of echolocation they use appears to be completely unable to detect a moving human nor can their amazingly enhanced hearing pick up breathing even when only a few feet away.

Blunt has a new born baby which makes virtually no noise despite just being newly fired out of a vagina. In a world where a dropped item can cause monsters to arrive they are stretching artistic licence showing a minutes old baby quietly sleeping.

I think dads (can't remember his name) death at the end was a bit unnecessary as well... I'd have just been as happy to see him make it through and I don't think it would have detracted at all from the film

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They must have a huge advertising budget as this will won't have a huge word of mouth response ...

Final Trailer. I'm 99% sure it's an Alien Invasion after this trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Excellent movie. I have a high suspense threshold (is that a thing? :)) but my nerves were shredded by the end of it. Really smart and clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I thought it was a very good watch, would definitely recommend even to people not a big fan of horror movies. The apocalypse/aliens idea is a bit done to death at this stage especially in recent years but the creatures are quite unique and the silence thing freshens it up a bit. Its ridiculously tense the entire way through, I was actually tired by the end from being so on edge :P But yeh I enjoyed it, nothing groundbreaking but a very decent watch is what id say.Good acting too

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Really enjoyed this movie. I could see the story developed further in subsequent films in a similar way to how The Purge universe built on the original movie.

Great tension throughout, certainly not a flawless movie, but an interesting story and enjoyable take on the survival genre.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Enjoyable movie, loved the way the tension build in scenes demands the audience to stfu.

Not ground breaking but a good meld of classic themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really enjoyed this movie, all the characters were great and Emily Blunt is fantastic like always. very much recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Didn't enjoy it much tbh......

Quite predictable and the score irritated the hell out of me at times as it ruined the damn premise of the movie I felt.
    Scene with music through the earphones was cool though and the complete silence including all ambient sounds scenes were well done also....

But there should have been more emphasize on that kind of thing I think to try and make it as authentic as possible.

In saying that, I seen it in a packed screening and never knew people eating popcorn could make so much damn noise. Took me right out of the film quite a bit in fact. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more going to see a screening that not so many people were attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Didn't enjoy it much tbh......

Quite predictable and the score irritated the hell out of me at times as it ruined the damn premise of the movie I felt.
    Scene with music through the earphones was cool though and the complete silence including all ambient sounds scenes were well done also....

But there should have been more emphasize on that kind of thing I think to try and make it as authentic as possible.

In saying that, I seen it in a packed screening and never knew people eating popcorn could make so much damn noise. Took me right out of the film quite a bit in fact. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more going to see a screening that not so many people were attending.

I didn't think it was great either. Funnily enough on the empire podcast they were saying they wish they'd seen it in a packed cinema instead of a small screening as it would be better amongst a group! I agree with you though I think it would be better in a smaller setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Must stay I’d agree with the sediments of people thinking it really benefited from being seen in a packed cinema. I went in knowing nothing about the film and throughally enjoyed it. Thought it would be tough work when I caught the premise but after 10/15 minutes in it was as if the whole screen were tip-toeing with the characters.
    The scene with the nail on the stair. It had such a lead in and you could almost hear everybody screaming internally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In danger of coming across as a bit of a snob by saying the following but it probably has a lot to do with which the kind of of crowd in attendence. I seen it in Cineworld and it was like the whole place had brought five packs of sweets and three bags of Doritos each.

Lighthouse One I've been at packed screenings and you don't get nearly as much of that. They serve their popcorn in tubs for a start also, which is an instant plus, and not those damn noisy rustling paper bags.

Most films it's not really an issue but for something like this it's for sure gonna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Felt like a mix of The Last of Us and Signs. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

Felt like a mix of The Last of Us and Signs. I loved it.

I presume this isn't a spoiler since the premise of the movie is known, so why not set up remote controlled loud speakers to provide a constant noise and therefore "cover"

In terms of acting, suspense, and music I really enjoyed the movie (wish they would fix the nail though)

The music reminded me of the brilliant "Sicario" I think emily Blunt was also in that but don't know of any other connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Great fun. They took a premise and stuck with it. The tension throughout the film was immense and I'd say I lost a stone in sweat.

I'm not a huge horror fan and never find monster horrors scary, but I felt that this was genuinely scary. I felt the first 10-15 minutes we're a bit gimmicky but once the threat ramped up I was completely invested in what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

joe40 wrote: »
    I presume this isn't a spoiler since the premise of the movie is known, so why not set up remote controlled loud speakers to provide a constant noise and therefore "cover"

In terms of acting, suspense, and music I really enjoyed the movie (wish they would fix the nail though)

The music reminded me of the brilliant "Sicario" I think emily Blunt was also in that but don't know of any other connection

Well that cover noise would have to be close to them to cover their noise and so would bring monsters to the area and if they are in the area they would get used to the rhythm /frequency of the cover noise and begin to pick up on noises the family were making as they differ from it, they seem to be smart creatures who would begin to acclimatise to that noise. I guess..?
    Also no electricity..dont know if theres any loud constant noise they could keep up without it? That I can think of

I thought they were relatively consistent with the concept but it annoyed me a bit that these monsters could hear an object drop a kilometre away and then couldnt pick up on silent breathing in the same room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed it - saw it in a fairly packed Screen 1 in Rathmines and the audience tension definitely added to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No idea where the rave reviews are coming from, utterly generic invasion movie imo, boring unoriginal aliens with piss poor CGI that they ripped off Stranger Things for right down to the same generic clicking sound they've been copying since Predator (how did these aliens defeat the US army btw?), boring unoriginal jump scares everywhere, boring unoriginal "somethings in the corn" scenes from how many films? Did not enjoy that at all tbh. I wanted to see Michael Inside but got outvoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Thargor wrote: »
    No idea where the rave reviews are coming from

Well one of them is coming from me. One of the best films I've seen this year. The tension built up in some scenes was very well done and there was no fannying about with back stories. You're just dropped straight into it. The gore wasn't over the top and you can just feel their frustration at not being able to even speak. One question that bugged me and it's a small one.
    Where did the sand that they use come from?

Advertisement