Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Podcast Discussions

• 09-05-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

There is an increasing number of podcasts dedicated to the game. Some of which are now attracting some decent contributors.

I was listening to Rugby Dungeon this evening and they had Ben Darwin on. An ex Aussie international, he is now running a moneyball style consultancy service. Really fascinating discussion about the dynamics of how to build a great team. Much praise for Leinster, Munster and the IRFU among others. Anyway, i thought that it might be worth having a Podcast discussion thread to review some of the topics that come up on the weekly shows.

For What its worth, my main weekly listens are Blood and Mud, Eggchasers and Rugby Dungeon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ruggamatrix has been around a long time, listen to them a fair bit though not lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The new Joe.ie pod the Hard Hards is pretty good. ROG, Donnacha O'Callaghan and Kevin McLoughlin have been on pretty regurlarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

'The Rugby Pod' with Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode. V funny and a great hours listening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I like Eggchasers but obviously it's very English focused. I'd tend to download the Off The Ball rugby stuff too, generally on a Monday, Wednesday and sometimes BOD is in on a Friday.

It's summer now so I'd say a few of them might go on hiatus.

Hadn't heard of Rugby Dungeon before so I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Rugby Dungeon is one interview every week. Its the JB lad off Eggchasers.
    Blood and Mud is worth a listen. A bit darker and swearier and there is a welsh guy on it, so the Pro 12 gets a better run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd be a fan of Eggchasers as well, good and light-hearted. This might be controversial but I also really like Off the Ball's Wednesday Night Rugby with Keith Wood and the much maligned Gerry Thornley... (expecting a backlash on this!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 99 ✭✭scrights

Wood/Thornley is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

EggChasers is good, can be a bit Aviva Premiership centered but still good listen, their quizzes are very funny
    Craggy Island Rugby is essential for Connacht fans and worth a listen even if not - wish every team had their own version of this
    Off the Ball Rugby can be very hit or miss

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

wp_rathead wrote: »
    EggChasers is good, can be a bit Aviva Premiership centered but still good listen, their quizzes are very funny
    Craggy Island Rugby is essential for Connacht fans and worth a listen even if not - wish every team had their own version of this
    Off the Ball Rugby can be very hit or miss

I can't bear Off the Ball when Cummiskey is on it. Talks over everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

aloooof wrote: »
    I can't bear Off the Ball when Cummiskey is on it. Talks over everyone.

Ya he is painful to listen too and don't tend to listen if he is on the panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I've listened to Eggchasers for a few years now and I love it but is anyone else starting to get sick of the constant Pro 12 bashing? It was funny for a while (and not without merit) but it's starting to wear a bit thin for me. I don't mind at all that the Pro 12 doesn't get nearly the same airtime as the Aviva, but I'm just kinda done with the constant bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Eggchasers is good, if sometimes a bit long, Rugby Dungeon depends on the guests with some very strong and some mixed episodes. Green and Gold is good for Super Rugby and Aussie rugby in paricular, they will cover the Lions a lot. Craggy Rugby for the Connacht supporters can be interesting. Rugby Tonight and Full contact can be a bit meh, same as the RTE Rugby one. There is The Thistle for Scottish rugby which can be good, Fantasy Rugby Draft for Super Rugby which gives a different player stat based insight, The Rugby Coaches Corner which is different, interviewing coaches and practices. The mix on the Hard Yard, Joe.ie podcast is good, Ferris, ROG and Donnacha. The Rugby Pod with Jim Hamilton and Goode is good too.

Would listen to Hard Yards (Irish view), Eggchasers (Englisgh, Prem view) and Green & Gold (Aussie, Super Rugby view) most weeks, the rest are good but you could easily take them or leave them

conf101 wrote: »
    I've listened to Eggchasers for a few years now and I love it but is anyone else starting to get sick of the constant Pro 12 bashing? It was funny for a while (and not without merit) but it's starting to wear a bit thin for me. I don't mind at all that the Pro 12 doesn't get nearly the same airtime as the Aviva, but I'm just kinda done with the constant bashing.

In fairness, while i think it is OTT, when they actually explain the rational arguments against the Pro12, they do stack up. For as good as the top 6/7 teams are in the Pro12, we have more meaningless games, we have more games where top players are rested and Irish and Glasgow aside, the atmosphere at games does tend to be poor enough at times.

If you tire of Eggchasers for that reason try Blood and Mud. There is a welsh lad on that and they are more balanced on the whole Pro12 thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

hunkydory1 wrote: »
    'The Rugby Pod' with Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode. V funny and a great hours listening

Find the banter insufferable tbh.

Listen to Off the Ball, Brian Moore's Full Contact, Second Captains & Ruggamatrix

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

The Off the Ball roadshow (mainly Donncha O'Callaghan) was very good this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

mogwai81 wrote: »

+1 on this. Excellent entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mogwai81 wrote: »

Was at it. Sexton, as expected, is dull as dishwater but I imagine it was quite interesting listening.

DOC was great entertainment but it was also a decent insight into his life now as a 38 year old professional. I got the feeling that, whilst he's successful and loves his job, the life is a tad lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Buer wrote: »
    Was at it. Sexton, as expected, is dull as dishwater but I imagine it was quite interesting listening.

DOC was great entertainment but it was also a decent insight into his life now as a 38 year old professional. I got the feeling that, whilst he's successful and loves his job, the life is a tad lonely.

His wife and kids haven't moved with him to Worcester right (haven't listened yet)? I can imagine so then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Woody to Sexton "Did you hate him Johnny did ya hate him?"

Haha.

It was quality radio alright. Top notch stuff.

I actually thought Sexton was more interesting than I expected him to be. He has a very droll way of speaking but he still had a fair amount of interesting input and even cracked a few jokes. In fairness, he was surrounded by three big personalities who are well used to the media, I think that did him no favours.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Woody to Sexton "Did you hate him Johnny did ya hate him?"

Haha.

I can't remember if that was the one where he didn't actually speak? But he smiled at the audience and nodded hence the laughter. Wouldn't say it for the mic though!

His wife and kids haven't moved with him to Worcester right (haven't listened yet)? I can imagine so then.

Correct. He gets home for 48 hours every couple of weeks, apparently. Lives with one or two of the lads. Would be very tough but he has a very small window left and each year he keeps going is another big chunk of money in the bank for later life.

Loved a couple of his stories. Living with Matt Cox who was trying to hook up with some Irish girl who was over for Cheltenham via Tinder. Cox trying to get DOC to come along to break the ice so he could swoop in. He has a fantastic delivery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

conf101 wrote: »
    It was quality radio alright. Top notch stuff.

I actually thought Sexton was more interesting than I expected him to be. He has a very droll way of speaking but he still had a fair amount of interesting input and even cracked a few jokes. In fairness, he was surrounded by three big personalities who are well used to the media, I think that did him no favours.

Yeah I thought Sexton did well. He's not a natural at this like DOC or Woody are but he still kept it interesting and made the crowd laugh a bit too.

A few good little jokes about the Welsh getting selected for the Lions went down well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Anything with DOC and/or ROG on it are brilliant to listen to.

Pop up a lot on The Hard Yards. Definitely worth adding to your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tried Eggchasers a few times, and I don't think I'll be sticking with it. One too many "Oirland" comments, and the guy calling his fantasy team "The President's Club" seems incredibly distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Tried Eggchasers a few times, and I don't think I'll be sticking with it. One too many "Oirland" comments, and the guy calling his fantasy team "The President's Club" seems incredibly distasteful.

Ya, they are gone off the boil, an hour and 40 minutes is way too much ****e talk as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Blood & Mud is the only one I can hack, sometimes the lads can get things very wrong but they're happy to admit it, plus they don't filter themselves at all. Definitely have more of an emphasis on English and Welsh rugby though. Lee and Josh have a very natural rapport, sounds more like two mates who love the game just having a chat and riffing off each other than other more formal podcasts.

Worth it for Josh's weekly rants about Welsh rugby and Lee's songs alone, really.

Quintis wrote: »
    Ya, they are gone off the boil, an hour and 40 minutes is way too much ****e talk as well

I've listened to them for a few years and really enjoyed them, but lately I find myself rolling my eyes at a lot of what they say. Previously I could tolerate JB because I liked Phil and Tim but he's getting harder to listen to and the other two don't call him out on his sh1t enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Three Red Kings podcast is very good for Munster and Irish national rugby stuff

He does free podcasts but if you can spare 2 euros a month for patreon you get extra podcasts and access to his analysis and gifs before and after every munster and Irish match.

• Advertisement

Still enjoy Eggchasers, although I take the points being made here. I still think they have a nice blend going on. While the Oirish thing is annoying, most of the negative points they make about the ProXIV are probably fair.
    Blood and Mud is really very good and I have gotten into the Hard Yards lately. In the Bin is fine too, I find the accents annoying but they are grand.

Advertisement