Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wales to Win 6 Nations ?

• 05-02-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Congratulations to Ireland for digging out a victory in Paris when all seemed lost !

All the talk before the start of the 6 nations, was about either England or Ireland winning the competition. After the completion of round one, I think Wales should be considered as serious contenders. The manner in which they disposed of Scotland last Saturday deserves the highest praise, especially the amount of pace they injected into the game. It is difficult to see any team living with them if they employ the same amount of speed going forward.

Furthermore, it has been a few years now since Wales won it, and I cannot see a team coached by Gatland, Edwards and Howley remaining as also-rans for much longer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

For me, its Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wales were good but not great.

Their front 5 is probably the 4th best in the competition and if they get dominated you can kiss goodbye to a 6N win.

They were very much flattered by Scotlands inability to play rugby for large portions of the game.

They got quick ball and as a result they played some very entertaining rugby.

Slow their ball down and you neuter their attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its all about the England-France decider according to The Guardian, so Wales a factor but not really contending for the title in the same way as the Big Two :

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/05/six-nations-talking-points-from-the-opening-weekend

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its all about the England-France decider according to The Guardian, so Wales a factor but not really contending for the title in the same way as the Big Two :

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/05/six-nations-talking-points-from-the-opening-weekend

Tha t article is riddled with errors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wales issue is having to go to both Dublin and London in the same year while dealing with an injury list as long as they have
    Can't see them competing this year but injury permitting they'll be really amongst it next. Games will be close I'd imagine but just see Ireland and England bullying them although Ireland are now without an entire backrow too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

thats women's rugby they are talking about

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    thats women's rugby they are talking about

Ah that makes sense

Wales have as much reason as anyone to be confident. Highly convincing win against Scotland with a very new lineup combined with Scarletts European form and recent title win shows the calibre of player available.

I probably wouldn't point to this weekend as a gauge of form as Scotland were so bad that it was hard to reconcile that performance as against some of their recent performances. They will never be that bad again but credit to Wales for turning the screw and dominating the fixture.

Scotland aren't going to cough up a points difference like that again so from a Welsh perspective they've an advantage now both in terms of having the bonus point and also a very healthy points difference with Italy still to play.

On the flip side they've fixtures away against England and Ireland. They are both teams that are consistently hard to break down and whilst I think Wales could do it, the bookies will have them down to lose both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wales were good but Scotland were awful. Price and Russell were the worst 9 & 10 combo of the weekend. Think about it, Laidlaw was an improvement when he came on! Russell was so bad that he was like a combination of Madigan and Flakey Freddie on their worst days.

Wales could only play what was in front of them and did a decent job but I believe they should have put Scotland away by more. Italy put up a better fight against England. I wouldn't be surprised if Wales only got one more win this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scotland doubled their efforts last Saturday, they managed to make themselves look bad and make Wales look good.
    Don't get me wrong, Wales were no where near as weak as they made out to be but Scotland played completely into their hands. As soon as they went 14-0 down, Russell went into "Tag Rugby/7s mode". A bit of composure would have slowed it down and chipped their way back into it. They went for this "organised chaos" and in the end it was just chaos.
    Parkes and Williams absolutely schooled Jones and Harris too, I don't think they'll get as much change out of centre pairing from other sides in the remainder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

I have had some interesting comments on the 6 nations since I opened this thread.

With regard to Saturday next, I expect Joe Schmidt to give the 3 C's (Cronin, Carberry and Conway) some game time against the Italians. Ireland should win the game comfortably. The outcome of the game, I feel, isn't going to affect the championship significantly. However, it would be prudent for Ireland to secure a bonus point win in the game, and score as many points as possible in order to improve their points difference.

The England v Wales game in contrast could have a significant bearing on where the overall championship goes. A Welsh
    win in Twickenham would really upset the applecart, and throw the destiny of the prize wide open -at least as far as half of the teams involved are concerned. I therefore will be watching the latter game with special interest.

I have had some interesting comments on the 6 nations since I opened this thread.

With regard to Saturday next, I expect Joe Schmidt to give the 3 C's (Cronin, Carberry and Conway) some game time against the Italians. Ireland should win the game comfortably. The outcome of the game, I feel, isn't going to affect the championship significantly. However, it would be prudent for Ireland to secure a bonus point win in the game, and score as many points as possible in order to improve their points difference.

The England v Wales game in contrast could have a significant bearing on where the overall championship goes. A Welsh
    win in Twickenham would really upset the applecart, and throw the destiny of the prize wide open -at least as far as half of the teams involved are concerned. I therefore will be watching the latter game with special interest.

Conway is injured

in Women's rugby, it is.

Conway is injured

You are right about Conway being injured. It is surprising that Schmidt in the team just announced isn't going to start Cronin or Carbery. Maybe he wants the more experienced players to build the score before introducing them. Ireland should secure a bonus point win in the contest, and win it by 35 points or more.

You are right about Conway being injured. It is surprising that Schmidt in the team just announced isn't going to start Cronin or Carbery. Maybe he wants the more experienced players to build the score before introducing them. Ireland should secure a bonus point win in the contest, and win it by 35 points or more.

The Ireland v Italy game has just ended with a 37 points advantage to the home side as I anticipated. Both Cronin and Carbery got game time as I predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The Ireland v Italy game has just ended with a 37 points advantage to the home side as I anticipated. Both Cronin and Carbery got game time as I predicted

That's it. You're going on the ignore list.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    That's it. You're going on the ignore list.

That is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Ireland leaked more points than what they may give in any other game. On today's going, Wales aren't to be feared.

Water John wrote: »
    I think Ireland leaked more points than what they may give in any other game. On today's going, Wales aren't to be feared.

Wales still put up a fight in Twickenham and were not beaten by much. I think the wet conditions, being without Halfpenny and the disallowed try all had a bearing on the result. Schmidt will treat them with respect when they visit the Aviva and chose his team accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wales still put up a fight in Twickenham and were not beaten by much. I think the wet conditions, being without Halfpenny and the disallowed try all had a bearing on the result. Schmidt will treat them with respect when they visit the Aviva and chose his team accordingly.

I don’t think many are suggesting he shouldn’t. Wales are a good team and capeable of playing good attacking rugby. England showed yesterday though, that an organized patient defence can limit that attack. It’s going to be a hugely physical game and you can be guaranteed we will afford them respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I want to be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Ireland have this one, for the last 10 years I think EVERY team that has beaten France in Paris has won the grand slam .. (maybe not the GS every year) but certainly the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ireland have this one, for the last 10 years I think EVERY team that has beaten France in Paris has won the grand slam .. (maybe not the GS every year) but certainly the 6 nations.

and if not the 6 nations, they certainly beat France

kuang1 wrote: »
    I want to be you.

I have at least one person in my fan club.

I will not attempt to make a prediction on the outcome of the upcoming Ireland v Wales game without knowing the starting line-ups. Wales can be a different proposition with Leigh Halfpenny starting for them at fullback. He is very good in defence, and an excellent kicker either out of the hand or off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I will not attempt to make a prediction on the outcome of the upcoming Ireland v Wales game ...

Oh, please do.

octopus_1_custom-43f45338b30f82411f6e5bcf1376d16804d9c3f4-s900-c85.jpg

Ireland will edge the contest with Wales on Saturday if they do the following :
    !. Win the forward battle.
    2. Execute a plan to contain the fast Welsh back line consisting of players like Liam Williams & George North (should he make an appearance for them.).
    3. Don't give silly penalties away in their half of the field thereby enabling Halfpenny to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

2. Execute a plan to contain the fast Welsh back line consisting of players like Liam Williams & George North (should he make an appearance for them.).
    3. Don't give silly penalties away in their half of the field thereby enabling Halfpenny to score.

So Ireland wll win if they contain Wales forwards, contain their backs, and don't give away points through penalties?

Ireland will edge this contest with Wales on Saturday if:

1) Ireland score more points than Wales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

So Ireland wll win if they contain Wales forwards, contain their backs, and don't give away points through penalties?

Sounds easy. :)

Advertisement