Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism Charity Shop

• 09-02-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Hi, just wondering is the Autism Charity Furniture Shop is still trading? (beside Mc Donalds on the Cork Road).

I checked their FB page, it hasn't been updated or added to for a few years.

Grateful for any replies...

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,531 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's still there, but it's not an Autism charity shop. It's now just a second hand shop...

• It's still there, but it's not an Autism charity shop. It's now just a second hand shop...

Yeah they used to run under the guise of an "Autism Charity Shop" but they were never a charity. I wouldn't give them scammers any business to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Yeah they used to run under the guise of an "Autism Charity Shop" but they were never a charity. I wouldn't give them scammers any business to be honest.

Was any legal action taken against them by the regulator?

I think they did make some small donation to Autism Ireland, but it certainly wasn't a shop that was raising money specifically for Autism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Is the the shop in the old furniture warehouse behind McDonalds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

my3cents wrote:
    Is the the shop in the old furniture warehouse behind McDonalds?

Yeah that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

They were told by the regulator to remove the word "charity" from their shop name.
    no other action was taken.
    They are now the munster variety warehouse.
    They closed their other shop on the tramore road

About the worst junk shop I've ever visited. Always call in the odd time I'm in Waterford but there is just so much old crap piled up on top of old crap that I only really bother out of habit.

What really p1sses me off is to see people drop off stuff still thinking its a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Thanks everyone for replying.

I visited the shop today, left empty handed and un-impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

St Bridget's community centre have a shop, just across the road from Woodies if that is any help.

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    St Bridget's community centre have a shop, just across the road from Woodies if that is any help.

Always call in there as well, not the best charity shop but still I've bought a few things in there. Trouble is now there are too many dealers that visit these sort of places on a regular bases so anything good goes out the door quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

my3cents wrote: »
    Always call in there as well, not the best charity shop but still I've bought a few things in there. Trouble is now there are too many dealers that visit these sort of places on a regular bases so anything good goes out the door quickly.

The staff in these charity shops always get first pick on everything that comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

These private ran “charity” shops are a total scam.

Many give a tiny % of remaining profits to charity AFTER the owner has received their generous salary.

I work with a local charity and they are fighting to have their name removed from one such shop. The owner is paying themselves €45k a year, they staff their three shops with workers of Community Employment schemes and one recent year the charity only received €350 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The one thing these guys were good at is if you wanted to get rid of say.. a good kitchen table.. they would come.. dismantle.. take away.. no fuss..

Are there any legit charity shops who would do that sort of thing ?

_Brian wrote: »
    I work with a local charity and they are fighting to have their name removed from one such shop. The owner is paying themselves €45k a year,

In fairness €45k a year wouldn't be classed as an exorbitant wage. There's still a lot involved in running and coordinating 3 shops, rates and rents for the premises etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I donate to this shop, the main reason is because they take everything, you can drive up to the door and do it off. Other shops, at times, won't take books, or kids clothes or electrical or shoes, or dress up costumes. Many times, I've had to take stuff back depending on what they need or can accommodate.

I understand why, but it's the ease of being able to drop it all off.

If the other charity shops had a drop of point for everything in the six cross roads, I'd use it.

I have also bought from this shop, mostly sewing machines or remote controls! Sometimes it's very overpriced, so I just leave it there, just like eBay.

I don't agree with the use of CE Scheme participants being employed in this shop, but when you look at the real charity shops, they often have CE Scheme participants and take more money than Dorethy Perkins in year while not paying for stock or rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the magican

Ye i totally agree im from cork road area and go here a bit its totally overpriced and mostly broken junk, place is so messy and cluttered. Not a charity shop either it never was

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the magican

You would swear you were in shaws the ridiculous prices they charge for junk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭jelutong

Gone downhill over the last few months. Won’t be in business much longer in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 frank99

Just wondering has the waterford autism shop / charity warehouse closed down by mcdonald's or has it moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Landlord decided to do something else with the building (I dont know what). They were given a few weeks notice and closed in late December. As far as I know they are not reopening elsewhere.

... bit of a shame. I like to keep a wall or two full of books in the house and you can't argue with 3 books for 2 euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

Mulcahey house in clonmel is ran by svp and they have a book shop that's open Mon-Friday. Great bargin books if you are ever in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Does anyone know where I’d find old wooden picture frames, similar to what might have been there? Need to be wooden, but ok if they need a little renovation!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭pummice

I wonder what happened to the "STUFF" in the shop. There was tons of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you are looking for anything specific ask in any/all local charity shops, most will hold back stuff if they know they have a buyer that will come back for it, but do check regularly. My wife has got loads of stuff for craft projects like that over the years. At one stage she was getting all the broken jewelry from several charity shops to the point she had too much of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement