Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview and thread: IRE v ITA (Sat 10th Feb 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2

• 09-02-2018 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

3.png&h=150&w=150
    ||
    20.png&h=150&w=150

Rob Kearney|15|Matteo Minozzi
    Keith Earls|14|Tommaso Benvenuti
    Robbie Henshaw|13|Tommaso Boni
    Bundee Aki|12|Tommaso Castello
    Jacob Stockdale|11|Mattia Bellini
    Jonathan Sexton|10|Tommaso Allan
    Conor Murray|9|Marcello Violi
    Jack McGrath|1|Nicola Quaglio
    Rory Best|2|Luca Bigi
    Tadhg Furlong|3|Simone Ferrari
    Iain Henderson|4|Alessandro Zanni
    Devin Toner|5|Dean Budd
    Peter O'Mahony|6|Sebastian Negri
    Dan Leavy|7|Braam Steyn
    Jack Conan|8|Sergio Parisse
    {colsp=3}Replacements||
    Sean Cronin|16|Leonardo Ghiraldini
    Cian Healy|17|Andrea Lovotti
    Andrew Porter|18|Tizano Pasquali
    Quinn Roux|19|Federico Ruzza
    CJ Stander|20|Maxime Mbanda
    Kieran Marmion|21|Edoardo Gori
    Joey Carbery|22|Carlo Canna
    Jordan Larmour|23|Jayden Hayward

So the hype train is in the station and patiently waiting for the station master's whistle. It's been one of the fastest rises in Irish rugby history, reminiscent of the coming of BOD. Yes folks, Andrew Porter will likely see time off the bench on Saturday to make his six nations debut. Meanwhile at the other platform, another less heralded under-hyped international debut for Jordan Larmour is also possible. Having been compared to Christian Cullen and with the ability to step off either foot at pace and bamboozle defenders, young Larmour has had a meteoric rise from being an under 20 international just this time last year to a fully formed professional rugby player in the space of just four months. Nobody's betting against him getting his first international cap on Saturday to replace either Rob Kearney or the ageing Jacob Stockdale.

Also getting his first six nations start is Mr. Faceplant himself; Jack Conan. A pacy number eight with the ability to offload and cover breaks, Conan has been waiting for his chance for what must seem to him like decades. Injury to Jamie Heaslip has seen him step up to fill the gap at Leinster and a massively attritional day in the trenches in Paris for CJ STander has given the twenty-five year old his opportunity to showcase his wares at the Aviva. A typical barnstorming run on Saturday will give Joe Schmidt a welcome headache in what is becoming a much depleted back row division.

But back to the bench and the emergence of Andrew Porter. A tight head prop in the mould of the veteran Tadhg Furlong; now in the twilight of the beginning of his career, Porter can run like a gazelle, fend like a bull elephant and scrummage like a landslide. Some say that as a baby, he could leap from his cot and push it into his parent's bedroom demanding to be fed. Whatever about his formative years, he has, like his ageing predecessor, leapt into the professional ranks fully formed.

The rest of the squad are what are left after the heroics in Paris. Cian Healy and Jack McGrath continue with their musical chairs and James Ryan retires to nurse his aching groin, to be replaced by big Dev Toner. On the bench, Quinn Roux fills in for the absence of Ryan and Joey Carbery, who spent a frustrating week practicing drop kicks from the halfway mark eagerly awaits his first appearance in this year's six nations when the demigod - Jonny Sexton, is dragged kicking and screaming from the pitch. Dan Leavy, who replaced the unfortunately injured Josh 'chops' Van der Flier, continues work on his new book: "Rugby and DIY facial reconstruction".

And what of Italy? Conor O'Shea seems intent on winding up his opposition by lavishing paraise on everyone from Joe Schmidt to Ethel the tea lady (on loan from Ulster). In a continuation of his mind games from last year that bamboozled Eddie Jones and the rest of the England brains trust, O'Shea has cleverly selected four Tommaso's in the backs to confuse the Irish defence. The man has no depths he can't plumb to get every advantage for his team. Expect much confusion in the Irish midfield as Violi calls 'Tommaso' at every attacking ruck.

As with all games against Italy, we will be anticipating tries scored from every direction, only to be disappointed to realise that they intend to put up a fight. If Ireland don't start at a fast pace and get some scores on the board, it could be trench warfare until the second half, when the bench escape and wreak havoc on a tiring Italian defence.

The bookies aren't sure whether it's Ireland by 34 or 36, so we'll go with that. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2491qn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It appears the Porter/Conan videos are in the wrong order.

Shambolic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Buer wrote: »
    It appears the Porter/Conan videos are in the wrong order.

Shambolic stuff.
    Happy now? :p:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've had enough of the very limited Ethel, safe hands or not. It's time Doris got a run out.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Happy now? :p:D

My rage has been assuaged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This would fit nicely as an opener to an extra verse of 'I am the Resurrection'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I want to see us run up a big score on these guys. Boni absolutely must be targeted. Having Aki and Henshaw running at him, as well as getting our wingers in off their wings attacking him, should pay dividends. Having the likes of Leavy and Conan in there too looking to carry up the middle and find support runners should see plenty of gain line successes. The first 20 mins they'll be well up for it, but we really need to aim to be pulling away at that point. England gave them a few entries into the game by dropping off at times. We shouldn't allow that. 3 or 4 tries in the first half while keeping them contained should do the job. Get 1 in the first few mins after half time and unleash the bench. There's another 3 or 4 tries in that bench if they get 30 mins. Unless the weather is crap we should be looking at at least 7 tries IMO. The last 2 times out against them we've hit in and around the 60 mark. That needs to be the standard.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I want to see us run up a big score on these guys. Boni absolutely must be targeted. Having Aki and Henshaw running at him, as well as getting our wingers in off their wings attacking him, should pay dividends. Having the likes of Leavy and Conan in there too looking to carry up the middle and find support runners should see plenty of gain line successes. The first 20 mins they'll be well up for it, but we really need to aim to be pulling away at that point. England gave them a few entries into the game by dropping off at times. We shouldn't allow that. 3 or 4 tries in the first half while keeping them contained should do the job. Get 1 in the first few mins after half time and unleash the bench. There's another 3 or 4 tries in that bench if they get 30 mins. Unless the weather is crap we should be looking at at least 7 tries IMO. The last 2 times out against them we've hit in and around the 60 mark. That needs to be the standard.
    We actually started very quickly against France. We were at their 22 in about sixty seconds from the kickoff and then they gave away a penalty which Nigel blew up advantage on very quickly. So we took the points and were back in striking distance about five minutes later. If we take a similar approach against Italy, we should be getting points early.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Really like Bellini
    With Sarto and Esposito both injured thought they'd struggle out wide but he looks good
    Also I've bit of a man crush on Dean Budd, really good player for Treviso

I still fancy us to stuff'em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I'm worried about this game. Italy weren't that bad against England, tricky conditions forecast, and I'm sure Mr. O Shea has a few cards up his sleeve...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Stockdale - 3 caps
    Aki - 3
    Conan - 5
    Porter -3
    Roux - 3
    Leavy - 5
    Carbery - 6
    Larmour - 0

Is this the least experienced 23 we've ever fielded in the Six Nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stockdale - 3 caps
    Aki - 3
    Conan - 5
    Porter -3
    Roux - 3
    Leavy - 5
    Carbery - 6
    Larmour - 0

Quite probably. It's a pretty exciting selection so hopefully it shows up well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's a stat I'm sure plenty of ye will have heard but, of Carbery's 6 caps, he's beaten South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

aloooof wrote: »
    It's a stat I'm sure plenty of ye will have heard but, of Carbery's 6 caps, he's beaten South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

He should probably just retire from international rugby with that success rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Happy with that team though still have a concern for our cover for scrumhalf. Murray simply can't play 80 mins of all the 6Ns game.

phog wrote: »
    Happy with that team though still have a concern for our cover for scrumhalf. Murray simply can't play 80 mins of all the 6Ns game.

Part of the reason for concern is because Murray is so bloody good it would be mad to take him off in a crunch game. If he plays more than 60 tomorrow I will be shocked.

Even if the difference between Murray and the backups is a chasm, it doesn't necessarily mean the backups are poor players.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Part of the reason for concern is because Murray is so bloody good it would be mad to take him off in a crunch game. If he plays more than 60 tomorrow I will be shocked.

Even if the difference between Murray and the backups is a chasm, it doesn't necessarily mean the backups are poor players.

McGrath was on the bench last week and doesn't get a look in this week - just seems like there's a huge lack of faith in them.

or

Was Marmion injured last week or is McGrath injured this week?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we beat england last year without him.

I wouldnt be that worried about our scrum half cover as i think Luke McGrath has improved immensely in the last 18 months to being a valid alternative to Marmion.

Murray is still way out in front, but we've already proven we can still perform without him.

McGrath was on the bench last week and doesn't get a look in this week - just seems like there's a huge lack of faith in them.

or

No McGrath is on the bench for Leinster. If the scoreboard had opened up a bit, I reckon the half backs would have been changed, but the game being in the balance would have necessitated keeping the generals on the field of battle.

Be a brave* coach to take Sexton and Murray off in that game.

*Brave being foolhardy in this instance. :)

or

It's one way of spinning it.
    The other way is: Marmion/McGrath are not that bad a player but Murray is top class.

I don't like to name drop the Lions but Murray played all bar 24 minutes between the three tests. We know Rhys Webb is a top class 9 but again Murray is that good.

• Advertisement

• phog wrote: »

or

It's entirely possible that Marmion is getting 'the Italy game' and McGrath will bench the remainder of the tournament, who knows.

Last week never got out of being in the balance and we needed our most experienced halves to close it out especially when we went behind on 70.

It's a one score game in the opening match of the 6N and the incumbent is the best wet weather scrum half in the world. I would be questioning the coaches if they had taken Murray off in those circumstances. I'm not sure we'd have won if it was Luke McGrath making that pass for the drop goal and that's no criticism of McGrath. It simply highlights how good Murray is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

This would fit nicely as an opener to an extra verse of 'I am the Resurrection'

Underrated comment.

Apparently Jordan Larmour is one of the kids in the guard of honour for Leinster in a match in 2009 against Edinburgh. Can't pick him out from this photo, anyone else want to hazard a guess?

?width=630&version=3843069

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stockdale - 3 caps
    Aki - 3
    Conan - 5
    Porter -3
    Roux - 3
    Leavy - 5
    Carbery - 6
    Larmour - 0

Typical conservative Joe wouldn't give the young players a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Apparently Jordan Larmour is one of the kids in the guard of honour for Leinster in a match in 2009 against Edinburgh. Can't pick him out from this photo, anyone else want to hazard a guess?

Second from the left maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would imagine he's second from the left, but it's very hard to tell. Mad to think he is now playing alongside Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

He's the kid second from the left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Between the 1st and 3rd guys on the left methinks.

Ben Betts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

If you look really close you can see the halo above his head and everything

1RpAYZB.jpg

Advertisement