Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ardaun-urban village?

• 29-11-2017 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

What are the thoughts on the proposed new urban village Ardaun on the city outskirts? Will it go ahead as proposed? Will it work in the imagined format? Will the regular working person by priced out of the new builds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I recently learned that when it was originally designed, there wasn't the end of the motorway between the south and north parts. Now that the motorway end (technically N6) is there, it changes he feel of the whole thing.

Personally I'd be worried about the amount of road noise, and well as the way the two areas are effectively land-locked from the city by the motorway and dual carriageway. I'm struggling to see them actually building bridges over the DC, and even if they did it would still be a very unpleasant walk.

The south part would be good for people working at the Galway Clinic, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

biko wrote: »

I think the spot between two major roads is a strange one. Especially as it is split up by the motorway? And traffic on that side of town is already a killer, I imagine adding Ardaun on there will make it impossible to get into town during the day in any sort of reasonable time

I am concerned that it will be marketed as an upmarket area and regular people will be priced out of buying there.

Other than that I don't have too many views on it, I am currently saving to buy within a few years and came across it while doing some Galway city and county research on where we would like to buy. I was really wondering how people from here see it going down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Wasn't there mention of a new road going from Parkmore up that direction to meet up with the motorway?

dok_golf wrote: »
    Wasn't there mention of a new road going from Parkmore up that direction to meet up with the motorway?

Yes, there has been some talk that Parkmore East should have an access road to the east. Don't know how real is is though, because the Monivea Rd lies in between it and the motorway.

But that's not Ardaun. Ardaun is south of the motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

But that's not Ardaun. Ardaun is south of the motorway

Originally was Ardaun not the whole block of land bounded by the clinic,briarhill junction, carnmore cross and cold move / Oran precast lands ? Any draft plan from that era is well out of date as not only have we new roads but also vastly different traffic patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The plans look like two urban islands, difficult to access on foot or bike. On the other hand building new housing relatively close to the city is better than it occurring in the dormitory towns instead.

westgolf wrote: »
    Originally was Ardaun not the whole block of land bounded by the clinic,briarhill junction, carnmore cross and cold move / Oran precast lands ? Any draft plan from that era is well out of date as not only have we new roads but also vastly different traffic patterns.

Yes, you're quite right.

What I should have said was Ardaun is south of the Monivea Rd. Whereas Parkmore is (quite a bit) north of the Monivea Rd.

As you say, we have very different traffic patterns now.

But the city council still have the same development plan, with a motorway through the middle of "Ardaun".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Mr_A wrote: »
    The plans look like two urban islands, difficult to access on foot or bike. On the other hand building new housing relatively close to the city is better than it occurring in the dormitory towns instead.

Correct. This very point was made by the Galway Cycling Campaign on there website.

http://www.galwaycycling.org/proposed-ardaun-suburb-roadlocked-and-inherently-car-dependent/
    "
    According to the cyclists the proposed roads around the site remain of an unsuitable character. It seems the Martin Roundabout at the Galway Clinic is to be the main means of access to the site for cyclists and pedestrians. There is only reference in the draft plan to “investigating” removing the roundabout. There are no concrete proposals for foot/cycle bridges into the site across the dual carriageways that sever the site from Roscam and Doughiska.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Are there any plans/designs available for this development anywhere? I have seen the documentation that outlines the planned areas of Ardaun for residential housing, the urban village, etc). But was wondering are there more advanced plans now?

• Advertisement

Are there any plans/designs available for this development anywhere? I have seen the documentation that outlines the planned areas of Ardaun for residential housing, the urban village, etc). But was wondering are there more advanced plans now?

Nope -still in Draft LAP mode.
    You might be interested in the following from the "Public Participation Network in Galway City"

Draft Ardaun LAP Progress Update
    http://galwaycitycommunitynetwork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/4.-Draft-Ardaun-LAP-Progress-Update-25-Jan-2018-2.pdf

Nope -still in Draft LAP mode.
    You might be interested in the following from the "Public Participation Network in Galway City"

Draft Ardaun LAP Progress Update
    http://galwaycitycommunitynetwork.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/4.-Draft-Ardaun-LAP-Progress-Update-25-Jan-2018-2.pdf

Any idea where one might see the
    proposed material alterations [that] went on public display from Thursday 25th January 2018 to Friday 23rd February 2018

Any idea where one might see the

City Hall.
    www.galwaycity.ie is down at the minute, but should have info on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Phase 1 of this was meant to be underway by 2019. Anyone got any news?
    I can't find anything on the web about this after 2018.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Phase 1 of this was meant to be underway by 2019. Anyone got any news?
    I can't find anything on the web about this after 2018.

The Martin Junction is to be changed. That change is primarily linked to the City Council plans for the Arduan Development.
    https://connachttribune.ie/council-to-decide-on-plans-to-remove-galway-clinic-roundabout-055/
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/news/1325/59/MARTIN-ROUNDABOUT-UPGRADE/d,News%20Detail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No houses though.

spacetweek wrote: »
    No houses though.

No nothing on that front - cannot see Council getting permission (even from themselves) based on access.

Advertisement