Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 Alfa History: Irish Shipping Ltd, Iona Garage & Engineering, Irish Aero Club

Options
  • 19-01-2018 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I'm trying to get some more information on the history of this car but am struggling. Basically it was originally purchased in 1967 by Irish Shipping Ltd, which was apparently they're first year of profit in 10 years! In 1973 it was then bought by Iona Garage & Engineering Works LTD, assuming Pierce Cahill. It still has the Irish Aero Club sticker in the rear window from this time. Its back on the road now after a long break.

Unfortunately neither Irish Shipping, the Irish Aero Club or Iona Engineering exist anymore. Anyway, I thought it was worth asking on the off chance someone can point me in the right direction or put me in contact with someone of relevance. I had the pleasure of talking to two former Iona Engineering workers at Dalkey, although I don't remember if they recognised the car.

I've attached a photo below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

I saw it at the show in Dalkey last summer and thought it looked great and had a great story behind it. Best of luck with the history search.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

DaveCol wrote: »
    I saw it at the show in Dalkey last summer and thought it looked great and had a great story behind it. Best of luck with the history search.
    There is more to the cars history than described in Dalkey. I'm trying to get a more complete history together before the RDS show in March.

I have now tracked down a previous owner of the car. I had wrongfully assumed i was Pearse Cahills car when it was another Cahill who owned it. I am due to meet up with him so he can see the car again for the first time since 1974. I will have the full details about the car and its story ready for the RDS show

For anyone thats interested here is the text which was up to date for the RDS show. I was lucky enough to meet the first owners son at the show so I have discovered even more about the car and its past. I'll update it all at somepoint but it becomes a long read when all the details are included.

This Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce was originally purchased in 1967 by the General Manager of Irish Shipping Ltd, Mr. L. S. Furlong. This was the companies first year of profit in ten years. Mr.Furlong kept the car in perfect condition, only the driver’s seat had its protective plastic cover removed during his ownership.
    In 1973 it was bought by Hugh Cahill of Iona Garage & Engineering Works LTD. Hugh’s grandfather, was the founder Iona Airways and the Irish Aero Club, the club sticker still remains on the rear window of the car. In 1974 Hugh drove the car to a wedding in Holland and the IRL sticker from this trip also remains on the back of the car.
    The third owner, Nial Leonard, purchased the car in 1974. The car was last taxed in 1982 due to the failure of the Dunlop brakes which lead to the damaged front bumper. At this time it was then put into a garage at Nials house. The dents in the roof and left front wing are the result of the garage roof collapsing during the snow fall of 2010. Luckily, Nial had left mattresses on top of the car and this prevented severe damage. The car had been further preserved because of a gearbox leak and a warped rocker cover which allowed oil to run down the front of the engine. Overtime this had resulted in an oil drenched engine bay and floor. Although Nial had always intended to return the car to the road again he passed away in February 2017.
    The car remained in the garage until I purchased it in April 2017. I carried out a mechanical restoration to return the car to the road as soon as possible. The bodywork and interior was left as it was found. The car was back on the road by June 2017. The car is constantly been improved mechanically and the bodywork will be preserved as much as possible.

Advertisement