Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No cast, plots, script or even vague outline has been announced and already the moaning starts.
    Why do people who hate Star Wars stick with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

david75 wrote: »
    $1.3 billion is not a drubbing. In any universe.

Money doesn't always reflect quality.

People expected more from The Last Jedi, myself included.
    Just because it made a lot of money doesn't mean it was a good film.

Effects wrote: »
    Money doesn't always reflect quality.

People expected more from The Last Jedi, myself included.
    Just because it made a lot of money doesn't mean it was a good film.

That is entirely subjective of course.
    Personally I think that a lot of Star Wars fans had certain ideas of what they wanted the film to be and were dissapointed because it didn't fit their idea.
    So far I think Rogue One, Force Awakens and Last Jedi are very solid movies and quality wise far above the prequels, which very extremely ropey in places.
    I also find it extremely hillarious that people now whine about TLJ, when they were even louder howls of outrage when TFA came out.
    There's even a Youtube video 1 HOUR LONG which is nothing but a whine about TFA.
    So far I can hear 3 main complaints about TLJ.

1: Luke tossing the Lightsaber. To state that this makes the movie bad is just idiotic and childish.
    Personally I find it very fitting. To him the Jedi (and himself) have failed utterly in everything they have ever done. The only result was war and death and the Empire prevailed anywy with the New Order. He is jaded, delusioned and broken. Very understandable. Had he immediately snatched the lightsaber and said "WOW!!! Of course I'll train you and then we'll go kick Kylo's BUTT!!", people would have screamed in outrage and with good cause. To me it's a lot of people just wanting to hate.
    2: Rey's parents are nobodies. First of all, you have to take Kylo's word for it. Siths have been known to tell porkies. Second, had he said "Luke is your dad", the screams of outrage would have been even louder (HOW CAN THEY DO THIS, THIS IS CLICHEED AND PREDICTABLE!!!!), so there is no right answer and people will complain either way
    3: Leia flying through space. I would agree on that. Kinda seemed a bit cheesy. But it's not a dealbreaker for me. Nor is it completely off the wall. She is Luke's brother and it's not unthinkable that she has a little bit of Force sensitivity or knowledge. A lot of times passed, maybe Luke taught her. There are plenty of bad and cheesy things throughout Star Wars history and that is the same for my answer for milking sea-cows and adorable little chickens.

The one thread I see running through this is "Disney RUINED Star Wars!!!!".
    So it all boils down to hate of Disney I think.

I would say a lot of people think about it the way I feel about Formula 1.
    To me F1 has gone completely to sh*t with their poxy little Prius hybrid drives, their stupid opening wings and over-regulation and what little racing remains gets clamped down by the stewards.
    But what use whining? It is what it is and it will never go back to the glory days of howling V10's and balls out racing. it's turned from Led Zeppelin into One Direction.
    I could complain, but why bother? I just don't watch it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I love star wars and I'm delighted they can delve into the world and history more. The proof is in the pudding but people shouldn't be worried about a decrease in quality. They aren't making these movies on a shoe string Beinhoff/Weiss project sounds interesting as they picked a particular part of history they wanted to focus on. They can tell a great story while sticking close to source material, I'm excited.

I think the magic of star wars (OT) will quite likely never be replicated, it's a different era but there can still be some special stories and films made in the next few years to be excited about.

1: Luke tossing the Lightsaber. To state that this makes the movie bad is just idiotic and childish.

Luke tossing the lightsaber is fine, I didn't like the cheap laugh it sought in the way it was tossed.

Disney weren't involved in Eps 1, 2 or 3 were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Definitely feel like my appetite for the new Star Wars is decreasing. However it still doesn't seem like 'franchise-fatigue' is a real thing going off the Marvel universe box office numbers.

I would like to see what would happen if the numbers did dip and Disney felt compelled to space this stuff out a bit. As it is I'm worried about getting loads of films which feel sort of inconsequential by themselves as they fit into this big plan for a larger continuity.

Effects wrote: »
    Luke tossing the lightsaber is fine, I didn't like the cheap laugh it sought in the way it was tossed.

Disney weren't involved in Eps 1, 2 or 3 were they?

No, Ep 1-3 are what they are without the help of Disney.
    Just google "Disney ruined star wars" and you will get over 600000 results :)

edit:
    The point is, Disney didn't ruin Star Wars, I like the new films much better than the prequels, so to me Disney had a positive effect.
    I guess people wanted Star Wars to grow up with them, but it was never meant to be gritty and realistic.
    It's a space fairy tale. Don't expect War and Peace or Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That is entirely subjective of course.
    Personally I think that a lot of Star Wars fans had certain ideas of what they wanted the film to be and were dissapointed because it didn't fit their idea.
    So far I think Rogue One, Force Awakens and Last Jedi are very solid movies and quality wise far above the prequels, which very extremely ropey in places.
    I also find it extremely hillarious that people now whine about TLJ, when they were even louder howls of outrage when TFA came out.
    There's even a Youtube video 1 HOUR LONG which is nothing but a whine about TFA.
    So far I can hear 3 main complaints about TLJ.

Personally I find it very fitting. To him the Jedi (and himself) have failed utterly in everything they have ever done. The only result was war and death and the Empire prevailed anywy with the New Order. He is jaded, delusioned and broken. Very understandable. Had he immediately snatched the lightsaber and said "WOW!!! Of course I'll train you and then we'll go kick Kylo's BUTT!!", people would have screamed in outrage and with good cause. To me it's a lot of people just wanting to hate.
    2: Rey's parents are nobodies. First of all, you have to take Kylo's word for it. Siths have been known to tell porkies. Second, had he said "Luke is your dad", the screams of outrage would have been even louder (HOW CAN THEY DO THIS, THIS IS CLICHEED AND PREDICTABLE!!!!), so there is no right answer and people will complain either way
    3: Leia flying through space. I would agree on that. Kinda seemed a bit cheesy. But it's not a dealbreaker for me. Nor is it completely off the wall. She is Luke's brother and it's not unthinkable that she has a little bit of Force sensitivity or knowledge. A lot of times passed, maybe Luke taught her. There are plenty of bad and cheesy things throughout Star Wars history and that is the same for my answer for milking sea-cows and adorable little chickens.

I would say a lot of people think about it the way I feel about Formula 1.
    To me F1 has gone completely to sh*t with their poxy little Prius hybrid drives, their stupid opening wings and over-regulation and what little racing remains gets clamped down by the stewards.
    But what use whining? It is what it is and it will never go back to the glory days of howling V10's and balls out racing. it's turned from Led Zeppelin into One Direction.
    I could complain, but why bother? I just don't watch it anymore.

Off topic - belongs in TLJ thread. But they are not the main problems with TLJ they are just examples. The poor script, poor character development, weak story, misguided attempts at humour, inconsistent tone of film etc. are all the reasons why it's just a poor film and rated on IMDB below some of the prequels. Most of my friends hated the film and was the first SW film they didn't go to a second time in the cinema, myself included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So the writers of Game of thrones have been hired to write new Star Wars?

Seems a bit pointless. All the good characters have already been killed off.

So the writers of Game of thrones have been hired to write new Star Wars?

Seems a bit pointless. All the good characters have already been killed off.

Jon Snow is still alive, so are many of the others. What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Off topic - belongs in TLJ thread. But they are not the main problems with TLJ they are just examples. The poor script, poor character development, weak story, misguided attempts at humour, inconsistent tone of film etc. are all the reasons why it's just a poor film and rated on IMDB below some of the prequels. Most of my friends hated the film and was the first SW film they didn't go to a second time in the cinema, myself included.

I completely disagree with you on the above, where there are problems they are quite consistent throughout the OT, but in an attempt to keep this on topic, if I felt the way you do about it I’d much rather have another Star Wars movie come out in 6 months than wait another 2 years. There’s a higher chance they’ll hit the target for me and release something that is more aligned to what I hoped to see. If the lowest ranked movie they released (even ignoring the questionable ratings issues) is 7.5 then it is hardly an indictment to beat Disney with.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

pixelburp wrote: »
    Supposedly Bob Iger also revealed Disney were working on a whole bunch of Star Wars TV shows for their streaming app; no details yet but the whole streaming venture by Disney is a weird one. They have a HUGE catalogue to call on, but at the same time it's not exhaustive and the market is already massively bloated. There are bound to be some casualties in the whole Streaming industry, and I can't help but feel Disney & Apple are coming in too late in the game to make the kind of waves they're hoping for. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are the big 3 here. Apple in particular feels vulnerable.

As for the subject matter? Well, honestly? David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are hugely overrated. They lucked out adapting Game of Thrones, becoming the cult-like obsession that it is is but they're not that great IMO.

When the Fox deal goes through Disney will have 75% control of Hulu and right now Hulu is a loss making company so I do find setting up their own streaming site quiet strange now.

I guess rebranding as the Mouse might help a bit and copying Netflix and Amazon by going Worldwide with it may help but with the selling of worldwide right already in play I don't see that happening for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I completely disagree with you on the above, where there are problems they are quite consistent throughout the OT, but in an attempt to keep this on topic, if I felt the way you do about it I’d much rather have another Star Wars movie come out in 6 months than wait another 2 years. There’s a higher chance they’ll hit the target for me and release something that is more aligned to what I hoped to see. If the lowest ranked movie they released (even ignoring the questionable ratings issues) is 7.5 then it is hardly an indictment to beat Disney with.

Nothing in the OT or the prequels was as stupid as the kamikazee light speed scene. Surely now after that poorly written thought out move, all that both armies have to do to win in the later films is just strap some idiot droids to fly huge empty ships at some other ships at light speed, seeing how it worked so well and reaching light speed is so easy in the universe of star wars! Makes you wonder why nobody thought of this tactic before, especially the evil empire/last order boyos!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Nothing in the OT or the prequels was as stupid as the kamikazee light speed scene. Surely now after that poorly written thought out move, all that both armies have to do to win in the later films is just strap some idiot droids to fly huge empty ships at some other ships at light speed, seeing how it worked so well and reaching light speed is so easy in the universe of star wars! Makes you wonder why nobody thought of this tactic before, especially the evil empire/last order boyos!

Think you're in the wrong thread

When the Fox deal goes through Disney will have 75% control of Hulu and right now Hulu is a loss making company so I do find setting up their own streaming site quiet strange now.

I guess rebranding as the Mouse might help a bit and copying Netflix and Amazon by going Worldwide with it may help but with the selling of worldwide right already in play I don't see that happening for at least 5 years.

Think it’s 66% but the same difference (as it was a 3 way partnership originally). Think they’ll keep hulu separate for most of the Fox/ABC content but they’ll do package deals to subscribe to Hulu, the new ESPN service, and the Disney one.

I can see the logic as far as they have vast libraries and several universes that audiences have already bought into. They shouldn’t need as much a scattergun spend approach that Netflix is burning through cash doing. Their plan is to initially price significantly lower than Netflix so I can see them picking up viewers and then as their product expands they can increase price.

Think you're in the wrong thread

Woops! Seen the Doctors post and assumed I was good to go discussing the plot of it like the Doc did. Sorry about that! Mods feel free to move it to the TLJ thread

Think it’s 66% but the same difference (as it was a 3 way partnership originally). Think they’ll keep hulu separate for most of the Fox/ABC content but they’ll do package deals to subscribe to Hulu, the new ESPN service, and the Disney one.

I can see the logic as far as they have vast libraries and several universes that audiences have already bought into. They shouldn’t need as much a scattergun spend approach that Netflix is burning through cash doing. Their plan is to initially price significantly lower than Netflix so I can see them picking up viewers and then as their product expands they can increase price.

Warner Bros have a 10% ownership which may have to be given up with their takeover by AT&T looking like it's going to happen so I think that leaves NBC standing alone with Disney that's why I was going with 75% But yet same difference Disney will be the majority owner.

The Disney Streaming site for now will be just US based and cord cutting doesn't have as big an uptake yet as some companies hoped Netflix is it right now and most of those companies don't want it to happen yet either.

Hulu & Amazon are seen a niche markets for streaming saying that I love Hulu and at $7.99 it's great value for money.

I do think im the long term Hulu will just be blended into the Disney site or Vice Versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The world's best tv writers working in a universe with endless possibilities, this will be wonderful news when someone resurrects this thread in about 4-6 years

I would say they are very overrated writers myself they have done a decent job adapting George R.R's work for screen that's about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah as writers their work has never really impressed me and generally sticks out compared to GRRM's. But Kennedy and Disney may see them more as overseers and developers of a new film saga. Constructing a 7 season tv show out of GRRM's books was no small task. And their experience of overseeing that production, producing scripts, meeting deadlines etc probably has a lot to do with why they got this gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... alongside the natural promotional buzz of saying 'from the creators of Game of Thrones TV series', which, let's be honest, is going to impress a lot of casual folks whose heads are turned by names alone.

'Star of Wars'

You can bet your house Sean Bean will be the main dude alongside the John Snow Crow lad

pixelburp wrote: »
    ... alongside the natural promotional buzz of saying 'from the creators of Game of Thrones TV series', which, let's be honest, is going to impress a lot of casual folks whose heads are turned by names alone.

This ties into the fact that they’re coming to take GOTs crown. First SW series on Disney is due 2020

It could well be these two lads are making films to be shown on this streaming service, like Netflix&the Irishman, not for broader / general release.

This ties into the fact that they’re coming to take GOTs crown. First SW series on Disney is due 2020

It could well be these two lads are making films to be shown on this streaming service, like Netflix&the Irishman, not for broader / general release.

The Irishman was on general release in theaters in a number of global markets and I can see the same for most of the SW movies. Still too much money there to put it straight to streaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not a chance. If that was the case they would have said so. When Hollywood studio heads talk about "films" they mean theatrically released films. Films that go straight to streaming aren't films as far as they are concerned. They are tv or unmarketable movies.

Another ‘insider’ saying that Rians trilogy will be films for the streaming service.

So believe nothing until you see it basically.

Another ‘insider’ saying that Rians trilogy will be films for the streaming service.

So believe nothing until you see it basically.

Says who? Some dude on Youtube? They are movies and will be released theatrically.

The "multiple Star Wars tv shows" in development are going on the streaming service.

Says who? Some dude on Youtube? They are movies and will be released theatrically.

The "multiple Star Wars tv shows" in development are going on the streaming service.

The internet is a public toilet. YouTube is the outer rim of the dirtiest toilet in there and every single germ on that toilet is screaming his opinion into a void.
    I avoid YouTube at all costs. Give me some credit.
    I despair at people posting YouTube videos simply because it agrees with their opinion. Either for or against. It's horrific and best ignored for health and sanity.

The internet is a public toilet. YouTube is the outer rim of the dirtiest toilet in there and every single germ on that toilet is screaming his opinion into a void.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »

I like what you did there :)

Advertisement