Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WittyName291

Sounds about right. What are the definitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MayDupname

Haven’t a clue. I’m sure we’ll find out at induction though. I’m thinking it’s stuff like the oath we take at attestation, “I am arresting you on suspicion of…” things like that. I wouldn’t worry too much about it over Christmas; I’d say it’ll be our last “quiet” one so make the most of it.
    However if the mother in law starts getting lippy after a few sherry’s, you can always get a head start practising your Home Office approved restraint techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Induction online learning is very important as it gives you a good grounding in what's being taught. Once you start more in depth stuff opens up which you'll pre read prior to that particular class.

You're not tested as such on induction online learning but you don't want to look like a rabbit in the headlights when they ask the three main types of legislation for example.

You'll get access to definitions after induction. These are various powers and offences. The main one to know is your caution. Know these and life as a peeler will be much easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pandabear97

Quick question for guys/girls who are there, how far in advance do you get your timetable? If you've to go in at weekends ect. is it short notice? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

If there is a public holiday then you will work the weekend immediately afterwards. A friend is in atm and the whole course is given to you, obviously particulars like classrooms etc may change.

• Advertisement

Spot on mate cheers

Quick question for guys/girls who are there, how far in advance do you get your timetable? If you've to go in at weekends ect. is it short notice? Cheers

You'll get the latest timetable every 5 weeks not all at once.

Saturdays are rare e.g. the college closed the Monday when storm Ophelia was doing the rounds so they came in on Saturday.
    You will get the odd late night in your first few weeks but it's all on the timetable. Then you'll have plenty of late nights of your own free will lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Homer01 wrote: »
    You'll get the latest timetable every 5 weeks not all at once.

Saturdays are rare e.g. the college closed the Monday when storm Ophelia was doing the rounds so they came in on Saturday.
    You will get the odd late night in your first few weeks but it's all on the timetable. Then you'll have plenty of late nights of your own free will lol

Do you normally get weekends off?

Do you normally get weekends off?

The course is Monday to Friday but in exceptional circumstances they might require you in on the weekends.

The course has so much going on that to miss a day (such as with Ophelia) it could screw things up.

What is the take home pay as a student officer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/your-pay-scale

Was more wondering about after tax/pension deductions ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Was more wondering about after tax/pension deductions ect.

Tax is unique to every individual. Some people have student loans. Some people in precious jobs will have pushed themselves into a higher tax bracket etc. It’s nearly impossible to talk about take home pay.

£1200-1300 very broadly though.

If you will find that money tight though you can opt out of the pension scheme for the duration of the course and then opt back in once attested.

You don't happen to know what percentage of salary will be matched by employeer for pension contributions?

21.3 %

Student officer salary you will pay in

£188 of basic salary into pension pot per month, NITA is pensionable as well so add 12.44% of (3195/12)

Employer puts in £323 per month

Probationer pay

You £219, plus the 12.44% NITA, per month

Employer £375 per month

Public sector is the way to go for pensions

Thanks for all the info mate. Yea, it seems to be! Just hope I can afford to max out contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

is the 4 weeks residential stay still in place ?

• Advertisement

maybe already been asked but with regards to induction, do we have to 're read the online learning or will we be given access to it after induction again,any tips for the induction day. I'm sorry if this has been answered ,think I seen it on one of these threads. exciting timesss

maybe already been asked but with regards to induction, do we have to 're read the online learning or will we be given access to it after induction again,any tips for the induction day. I'm sorry if this has been answered ,think I seen it on one of these threads. exciting timesss

sorry guys ignore this I've just found the answer

do we take a guest to the hole induction day

They love nicknames in Garnerville. Bob you will clearly be the Inquisitor! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

For those who have gotten to GV. Whats the sleeping accomodation like? Are you allowed to bring laptops/ipads etc?

I'd compare them to the 3rd class accommodation on the Titanic. Basic but functional. You're allowed to bring 3 electric items, although I was strongly advised against bringing my electric guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

MayDupname wrote: »
    I'd compare them to the 3rd class accommodation on the Titanic. Basic but functional. You're allowed to bring 3 electric items, although I was strongly advised against bringing my electric guitar.

Electric guitar would be the least of my worries, how many people do you share with?! I’ve been told my snoring could sink the Titanic. I’m going to be smothered through the night haha.

unfortunately I'm unable to stay as I'm just inside 35 mile radius ,think staying would have give me better time to study, the first 4 weeks aren't residential anymore either so no staying for me

Very strict on the 35 mile limit for staying in.

Laptops are fine and they have Wi-Fi for students (work only, obviously).

They do have plenty of computers available although when you do your work based assignment you will need your own device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

do we take a guest to the hole induction day
    Sounds quite invasive. Would you want a guest?

Advertisement