Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Stadium Standards

Comments

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    no disrespect, but a GAA pitch is so much bigger than a soccer pitch

But he is referring to stadium capacity as opposed to the pitch size and yes the pitch does make a difference to the overall project in terms of area squared but in terms of stadium capacity the poster in question had a valid point. A nice little 5-10k seater would more than accommodate alot of games under the new format with one or two large stadiums within each province. 7k seats in a modern stadium is better then 25k in a ramshackle

What we have instead is everyone trying to outdo each other to be the second largest GAA stadium in the country after Croker

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Mehapoy wrote: »
    They'd be better off selling the Gaelic grounds for housing and build a compact 20k all seater off the ring road, maybe near the race course, much handier for match day traffic and suits the county supporters more than having it practically in Clare...

I'd go along with that too I think twud be for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Never got around to posting this during the week. I was watching a F.A cup game last Friday night on BBC. Thought this was a great example of a small, modern and comfortable stadium.

They showed pictures of the dressing rooms on tv. Seemed to be put thought into the layout and not just a rectangle room with a bench around it.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/mill-farm-afc-fylde.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Last Stop wrote: »
    What do you mean white elephants? The majority of GAA stadiums are used throughout the year for both inter-county and club matches.

And what are the attendances at most of those games? 15000+ at club matches? At national league games? Don't make me laugh.

Most of those stadiums are white elephants because they are rarely if ever full, not because they are never used.
    With the super 8s in football and the provincial groups on hurling, most county grounds are going to see significant more use over the coming years.

How on earth do you figure that? Extra matches between the big boys aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to the vast majority of county grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Never got around to posting this during the week. I was watching a F.A cup game last Friday night on BBC. Thought this was a great example of a small, modern and comfortable stadium.

They showed pictures of the dressing rooms on tv. Seemed to be put thought into the layout and not just a rectangle room with a bench around it.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/mill-farm-afc-fylde.html

That's a cracking stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Cavan. League game this past Spring. Traffic was murder getting through Virginia, for those eegits, poor misguided fools, twits, brave souls that went up that way. I've never been so glad to cross the border into Mordor before in me life. :D

Virginia really went all out for the Dubs though. There wasn't a chain or padlock left to be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

no disrespect, but a GAA pitch is so much bigger than a soccer pitch

Seems like you didn't get the point. Not talking about pitch size. You could build a stadium around a GAA pitch in the same way. Small capacity but comfortable and well finished. But we seem happy with the massive dumps we have up and down the country with rubbish facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Seems like you didn't get the point. Not talking about pitch size. You could build a stadium around a GAA pitch in the same way. Small capacity but comfortable and well finished. But we seem happy with the massive dumps we have up and down the country with rubbish facilities.

costs a lot more to build a covered stand the length of the field at a GAA pitch than at a soccer ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tipp Red

Last Stop wrote: »
    One thing that really strikes me is the poor quality of grounds in the commuter belt around Dublin. Louth, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow have possibly some of the worst grounds in the country.

Again O Fearaill did say he'd like as president of GAA to develop a Stadium in North Leinster....whether this is in train or not I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

costs a lot more to build a covered stand the length of the field at a GAA pitch than at a soccer ground

Who says the stand needs to be the length of the field? Build to the desired capacity, not the length of the sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Build accordingly but to a decent standard, not the glorified cow sheds we have up and down the country. This isn't difficult to understand.

Your talking about a section and a half of seating at the very most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

O'Connor Park in Tullamore is my favourite provincial venue. Good facilities, very handy to park and to get in / out of. Also not far from town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

As the last posters have said, O’Connor Park and the Athletic Grouds should be the standard for most small grounds. I am in favour of terraces, but maybe only on the goal sides. Some of the so called white elephants are crumbling. Fitzgearld Stadium was supposed to be a showpiece stadium for the RWC. Like have ye seen the state of the main stand, or the benches behind the goals. The bigger grounds should be going along the lines of the new Casement Park. All covered, good services, and a terrace behind one of the goals. Although I love Thurles, as a stadium, it’s an absolute kip. Even the new PUC, could’ve been much better, even having a roof over the City and Blackrock ends would improve the aesthetics of the ground.

This is the new Casement, hopefully this one gets built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

CK22 wrote: »
    As the last posters have said, O’Connor Park and the Athletic Grouds should be the standard for most small grounds. I am in favour of terraces, but maybe only on the goal sides. Some of the so called white elephants are crumbling. Fitzgearld Stadium was supposed to be a showpiece stadium for the RWC. Like have ye seen the state of the main stand, or the benches behind the goals. The bigger grounds should be going along the lines of the new Casement Park. All covered, good services, and a terrace behind one of the goals. Although I love Thurles, as a stadium, it’s an absolute kip. Even the new PUC, could’ve been much better, even having a roof over the City and Blackrock ends would improve the aesthetics of the ground.

I don't know if I'd label O'Connor Park as a "small" ground. It can hold 20,000 and single-handily destroyed Offaly GAA!!

Ah it wasn’t OCP which ruined Offaly GAA. That’s a forum for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

I don't know if I'd label O'Connor Park as a "small" ground. It can hold 20,000 and single-handily destroyed Offaly GAA!!

The people runnng it did.
    The reason that the Faithful Fields Centre of Excellence is debt free is because the county board didn’t have anything to do with it. It was 10-12 GAA men with business and sporting expertise. County board were handed the keys.

O’Connor Park is a fine stadium. If only we could eliminate this Hurling should be in Birr BS argument, and wipe off the debt sooner, the better.

I see Meath have got planning permission for a 4 Stand, fully roofed, all seater stadium costing just €19million. Interesting to see if it actually happens. But it’s mad to think that it’s 2018 before we are getting a county board who are planning for a fully roofed stadium. I’m a fan of some terraces if they are well maintained, so the all seater doesn’t make much of a difference to me.

• Advertisement

CK22 wrote: »
    I see Meath have got planning permission for a 4 Stand, fully roofed, all seater stadium costing just €19million. Interesting to see if it actually happens. But it’s mad to think that it’s 2018 before we are getting a county board who are planning for a fully roofed stadium. I’m a fan of some terraces if they are well maintained, so the all seater doesn’t make much of a difference to me.

Navan at present is a shockingly poor ground for a relatively successful GAA county tbh. I would however be more concerned at the lack of success in Meath since 1999. Other than the Eamon O'Brien years, they havent shown anything resembling promise. Surely more priority should be given to the actual team?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Navan at present is a shockingly poor ground for a relatively successful GAA county tbh. I would however be more concerned at the lack of success in Meath since 1999. Other than the Eamon O'Brien years, they havent shown anything resembling promise. Surely more priority should be given to the actual team?
    How are they not prioritising the actual team though? The stadium needs redevelopment and the money being spent on the stadium works which is much needed wont make the team be more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Why are people so obsessed with the state of grounds? Is it some sort of subliminal remorse over the chappies not getting the rugby world cup?

Navan is great place for a game. If you want a pint or something to eat, you are hardly in the Mauritanian desert. Its practically in middle of the town. Same with Thurles. 90 minutes without a drink.,,,, stop the torture :-)

How are they not prioritising the actual team though? The stadium needs redevelopment and the money being spent on the stadium works which is much needed wont make the team be more competitive.

Do they honestly need an all seater swanky stadium? Fair enough renovating but is there a need to build an actual all seater? It wont help their results on the field whatsoever. See Offaly above.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Why are people so obsessed with the state of grounds? Is it some sort of subliminal remorse over the chappies not getting the rugby world cup?

Navan is great place for a game. If you want a pint or something to eat, you are hardly in the Mauritanian desert. Its practically in middle of the town. Same with Thurles. 90 minutes without a drink.,,,, stop the torture :-)

Grassy banks this day and age look fairly poor given the huge footballing success Meath had in the 80s and 90s. Navan needs some renovation but not as extravagant as what is being proposed.

Patww79 wrote: »

A very fair point but the other side of that argument is that stadiums within the towns at least bring a bit of trade to the town. Thurles is absolutely magic on big match day. Without the presence of Semple Stadium though, id have to wonder where Thurles would be today in terms of its growth.

From a supporters point of view i absolutely agree though that navigating through busy towns trying to find parking and trying to muscle into aggressive traffic to get a quick exit can be highly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A very fair point but the other side of that argument is that stadiums within the towns at least bring a bit of trade to the town. Thurles is absolutely magic on big match day. Without the presence of Semple Stadium though, id have to wonder where Thurles would be today in terms of its growth.

From a supporters point of view i absolutely agree though that navigating through busy towns trying to find parking and trying to muscle into aggressive traffic to get a quick exit can be highly frustrating.

Give me Thurles and Navan any day rather than some soulless dump like Salthill. Which ironically is outside the city and possibly the worst place to get in and out of on a match day, even when Dub hurlers are playing and there's maybe 3,000 there. Perfect location imho is Nowlan Park, and nice enough seating if you are into all that! Tullamore is good spot too. Perfect for a lot of Leinster SHC games. Gives Galway some bit of a break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Do they honestly need an all seater swanky stadium? Fair enough renovating but is there a need to build an actual all seater? It wont help their results on the field whatsoever. See Offaly above.
    What is wrong with having all seats in a ground. Did i say it would help their results on the field. It wont but it can help in other ways if its a better facility for everyone going to games.
    Grassy banks this day and age look fairly poor given the huge footballing success Meath had in the 80s and 90s. Navan needs some renovation but not as extravagant as what is being proposed.
    There is nothing extravagant in what and considering it includes addition of floodlights that were a H&S risk then why is it a problem

Its up to town authorities as well as the GAA to provide better parking for games in towns. Providing P&R services. And games in grounds outside of towns can still provide trade for a town

Advertisement