Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

85 Corolla. Thoughts?

• 03-02-2018 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mint-condition-toyota-corolla/17231137

Would anyone have any thoughts on the above link please.
    I’m looking for reliable modern-classic. I was originally looking for a mk2/3 golf gti and was considering a bmw as well but my search for these are proving fruitless.
    I came across this Corolla which has tickled my fancy. I can’t really find anything to compare it with price wise so if someone in the know could advise on this and maybe some general info comments. Any help would be much appreciated.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It looks like a good one.

It appears, subject to the usual caveats, to be a nice example of an everyday car from the eighties.
    Maybe a little expensive but if you plan on keeping it that should not worry you unduly.
    The cost of doing up a bad one should be borne in mind.

GTI's and BMW's were not everyday cars so are really a different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

elperello wrote: »
    It looks like a good one.

It appears, subject to the usual caveats, to be a nice example of an everyday car from the eighties.
    Maybe a little expensive but if you plan on keeping it that should not worry you unduly.
    The cost of doing up a bad one should be borne in mind.

GTI's and BMW's were not everyday cars so are really a different proposition.

Thanks for that. Thought it was a bit on the expensive side alright.
    Yes I plan to keep it for a good few years so I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car. In general can you tell me what these are like, known issues and the like? Thanks again.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Farmer Tom

A bag of sand really it’s value.

Farmer Tom wrote: »
    A bag of sand really it’s value.

Ah I’m well versed in the vast array of of sayings and phrases of this fine isle but that has me stumped a bit. However I’ll hazard two guesses. It’s worth fcuk all or, it’s worth whatever someone is will to pay for it. Am I right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

A bag of sand = a grand :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Ah I’m well versed in the vast array of of sayings and phrases of this fine isle but that has me stumped a bit. However I’ll hazard two guesses. It’s worth fcuk all or, it’s worth whatever someone is will to pay for it. Am I right :)

Bag of sand= a grand.
    Although not to my taste it is worth more than 1k.
    I'd much prefer the corolla ke70.

What do you think it’s value is Kev?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Offer him 1500 for it in cash.shes never worth 4K.worst hel say is fcuk off.the zv plate would put me off and the steering wheel not centred,she’s upside down at only a small turn parked.looks alright from pictures but I’d check well underneath it if I was going to buy it for rot and rust.If it went through an auction I doubt it would touch 2k.they are fairly scarce but they were never an oil painting to start with. If you like it offer what you are comfortable with but don’t get robbed on it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Bag of sand= a grand.
    Although not to my taste it is worth more than 1k.
    I'd much prefer the corolla ke70.

I honestly never heard that before:)
    Jaysus it’s like asking a farmer how many acres he/she has:D
    I know it’s subjective but would it be worth 3 bags, maybe 3 bags and a Shovel full? I’m just looking ball park here folks as I can’t find anything to compare it too!

P.S. I’m new to all this vintage crack but I’ll check out some ke70’s. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again.

€1,200 - €1,500 really at a push. Nice car for a Toyota showroom.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Thought it was a bit on the expensive side alright.
    Yes I plan to keep it for a good few years so I don’t mind paying a premium for the right car. In general can you tell me what these are like, known issues and the like? Thanks again.

Rust is the old enemy.
    You will need to go over it up and under with a fine tooth comb.
    If it hasn't been painted that is good. If it has be very careful of a cover up job.
    If you are not sure get someone to look at it for you.
    He doesn't mention NCT. Ask to see old certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Slightly off topic my first car was a 1988 corolla. Can't find a matching image, but it was a great car. Would happily buy another if the same vintage.

Offer him 1500 for it in cash.shes never worth 4K.worst hel say is fcuk off.the zv plate would put me off and the steering wheel not centred,she’s upside down at only a small turn parked.looks alright from pictures but I’d check well underneath it if I was going to buy it for rot and rust.If it went through an auction I doubt it would touch 2k.they are fairly scarce but they were never an oil painting to start with. If you like it offer what you are comfortable with but don’t get robbed on it.

Thanks for that. What is the significance of a zv plate? Import?

Rust is the old enemy.
    You will need to go over it up and under with a fine tooth comb.
    If it hasn't been painted that is good. If it has be very careful of a cover up job.
    If you are not sure get someone to look at it for you.
    He doesn't mention NCT. Ask to see old certs.

Nct is due next month. Would not go near it unless it was done again.
    Have someone lined up to inspect if I like what I see. Thanks.

Farmer Tom wrote: »
    What do you think it’s value is Kev?

I think if it's really nice it'd be worth 2 but it's really only worth whatever the next guy is willing to pay.
    If it were a back wheel drive DX it would easily be worth double that and some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

If that 32,000 miles can be verified with documentation, it's worth 3 or 4 grand in my view. If it's that tight and original the seller may have more joy sending it back across the water to widen the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In cash? As opposed to what? Wasps?

If someone offered me €1500 for a car I had advertised for four grand my response wouldn't be too amiable. That car is worth a helluva lot more than €1500. There is no denying that old Corollas of any description command good coin in Ireland, especially if in good nick.

Just had a look. It’s in very good nick. Only found one rust spot on the underside of the bonnet. History/mileage seems to check out and drives very well.
    Told him I’d get back to him with an offer but I can’t see myself offering over 3 grand for it. Need to do a bit more research.

Now for the interesting bit. He has an immaculate 87 volvo 340. It has 170k on the clock but I’ve never seen a cleaner 30+ year old car in my life, almost mint.
    He is looking 3500 for it however. What ye all think? A bit strong?

Thanks.

Ask him for the Corolla's previous UK reg and put it in here. You'll get a good idea of its condition, and you'll be able to see if its had any fails or advisories for rust etc.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

€3500 for a Volvo 340 is ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He obviously minds his motors though, and/or sources them clean. What a difference that can make.

• Advertisement

30+ year old cars that are mint original must command a premium.

If you get a genuine "old guy" car that has lived in a garage and been out for a run once a week, has original paint and no rust and a good interior it will stand to you.

In the long term unrestored cars have an intrinsic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

In cash? As opposed to what? Wasps?

If someone offered me €1500 for a car I had advertised for four grand my response wouldn't be too amiable. That car is worth a helluva lot more than €1500. There is no denying that old Corollas of any description command good coin in Ireland, especially if in good nick.

Good lad duke.What a helpful response.wasps?you really are the comedian.cash is king buying second hand cars.have they such a thing as drafts or cheques up your part of the country which Incase you don’t know,can also be used to pay for a car.credit union will do you a draft for any amount but if I was selling I’d much prefer cash in the hand.the lad selling that Corolla is a dreamer if he thinks it’s worth 4grand.he could advertise it for 20 grand if he wanted but it doesn’t mean it’s worth anywhere near that,so I wouldn’t worry about his response if you offer him a realistic price.
    It wouldn’t make 2 grand in any auction unless it was pre recession prices.mind would them wasps sting you lad.you would be safer carrying cash than wasps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I believe there was some improvement in manufacturing corolla bodies somewhere around the introduction of the dx. We (my dad) had a 1980 ke30 model and it was a complete rust bucket by the time it's clutch gave up the ghost in 1995. That car was bought new and went from blue gloss colour when new to a very light matt blue in it's 15 years service. But it was very reliable and much loved in our family.

We subsequently bought an 84 dx (gloss red) same as your advertised one and a metallic blue 87 dx. From what I remember the refreshed model was a significant improvement in finish and engine. We sold that 87 to a local Toyota mechanic several years later and he still had it on the road and looking immaculate in 2016!

My first car was 1990 corolla xl. I bought it 2nd hand as an 8 year old and it was immaculate. Only sold it for vanity reasons in 2002. It was very reliable and easy on petrol, but it was basic. Brother had next model up, xli I think and he wrecked it in a few tips but engine was solid.

Nice to view these pics and walk down memory lane. Best of luck with it if you buy.

Unless you are a mechanic yourself, I'd buy the Toyota over the volvo IMHO

I’ve checked that add out a few times over the last few days. Very tempted to go and view.
    Definitely an alternative and you have a point on the context.

That Starlet is for sale for a while.
    It is eligible for classic insurance with some companies but won't get classic tax until 2025.

Right then an update.
    Toyotas are out, too many restrictions insurance wise. As tempted as I am with the 340 its just too pricey. Seem to be around the £1000 mark in the UK.

I've just had a look at a 97 mini, very good condition. Im going to do the usual history checks and have a garage lined up to do an inspection if things check out. Anyone any thoughts on this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1997-mini-cooper-1-3l/17896189

Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

Don't really know about mini pricing but that looks a little beaut. Much nicer than a corolla.

That Mini looks great. Leather in the later cars is a very nice thing to have, and very expensive to retrofit. I'm not sure how often you plan on using the car, but that car would be nicely suited to regular-ish use, unlike a much older Mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

God it makes me feel old that these are now considered a classic. I suppose if you're under 30 it probably looks the same to you as, say, an Anglia or a Vauxhall Victor would look to me. I think it's a bit strongly priced, but with classics they really are worth what you're willing to give, and if the price seems reasonable to you, go for it. It probably will increase in value over the next few years. It's probably going to be more reliable than most modern cars which isn't something you can usually say about classics!

Advertisement