Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run commute

• 28-12-2017 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Many users here commute by running?
    I'm hoping to start in early 2018, but most of the route (13k in total, each way) has no paths, no hard shoulder and no street lights. At the very least I'll probably wait until its not totally dark morning and afternoon. Any tips, gear reccommendations? I'll have a high viz vest for sure.
    TIA
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start in early 2018, but most of the route (13k in total, each way) has no paths, no hard shoulder and no street lights. At the very least I'll probably wait until its not totally dark morning and afternoon. Any tips, gear reccommendations? I'll have a high viz vest for sure.
    TIA
    Eoin

It all depends on how fit you are to begin with really.
    I couldn't tell if that was 13km altogether which isn't too bad or 13km each way which sounds like a lot.

When I started jogging to work (4 miles each way) I built it up gradually but never did more than 3 days a week. The other days I cycled.

Another nice one can be to cycle to work, run home. Run in the next morning, cycle home in the evening. That way you can leave your clothes home on the cycle.

I would try and store as much as you can in work or cycle in with it. The backpack on your back does eventually take its toll. Avoid carrying laptops and pointy objects that will rub against your back.

Deuter -speedlite-10l-backpack is one of the best investments I made.

Of course make sure you're well lit up and facing oncoming traffic. No earphones if on a main road.

I'd probably carry a weapon with me if I was jogging on the roads you described but then again I'm a northsider :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

TIA
    Eoin

I used to do virtually all of my running on roads without street light, side walk or hard shoulder when I was living in Kerry because that's what all roads in the vicinity were like. It depends how save you think this is - make a judgement call, and don't do it if you think it's dangerous.

These days for my commute I usually run one way and cycle the other, thanks to a secure bike shed at work and the ability to leave stuff there overnight if I have to, plus showers at work. I do the occasional double run, but it's almost 10 miles each way.

I hate running with a back pack so I always transport as much as I can on the bike and just take keys and phone with me when I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

TIA
    Eoin

I regularly commute to and from work on Fridays (over 9km each way, so close to 19km for the day).

I would typically leave clothes and return running-gear in work during the week in preparation, and on Friday just run in with a super-light backpack (a Salomon) with some essentials like wallet and keys. I can bring some of the morning-gear home with me, and retrieve the rest early the week after. Rinse and repeat!

For me, spreading it over 2 days wouldn't work, as I can't bring my laptop on the commute, and usually I use it both in work, and at home, on the same day.
    On Fridays, I just leave it at home and make do.

I have a choice of routes, and simply choose the better-lit ones in the dark, as TFB suggests, you'll have to judge the safety of your route for yourself.

I hope it works out for you, it's a great way to clock up some easy miles - but I am lucky to be able to keep some stuff in work overnight, and have a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tec Diver wrote:
    Any tips, gear reccommendations? I'll have a high viz vest for sure. TIA Eoin
    I'd consider a headlight or torch perhaps even more important than "hi viz'/ reflective material. A light is more visible when cars coming from both directions, and you can shine the light so it's visible around corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

S.L.F. wrote: »
    It all depends on how fit you are to begin with really.
    I couldn't tell if that was 13km altogether which isn't too bad or 13km each way which sounds like a lot.

When I started jogging to work (4 miles each way) I built it up gradually but never did more than 3 days a week. The other days I cycled.

Another nice one can be to cycle to work, run home. Run in the next morning, cycle home in the evening. That way you can leave your clothes home on the cycle.

I would try and store as much as you can in work or cycle in with it. The backpack on your back does eventually take its toll. Avoid carrying laptops and pointy objects that will rub against your back.

Deuter -speedlite-10l-backpack is one of the best investments I made.

Of course make sure you're well lit up and facing oncoming traffic. No earphones if on a main road.

I'd probably carry a weapon with me if I was jogging on the roads you described but then again I'm a northsider :D

Thanks, yes it's 12k each way, so 24k per day. I'd probably only do this once or twice a week.
    By "dangerous" I mean getting hit by cars/vans, so a weapon hadn't crossed my mind! ☺
    Eoin

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes it's 12k each way, so 24k per day. I'd probably only do this once or twice a week.
    By "dangerous" I mean getting hit by cars/vans, so a weapon hadn't crossed my mind! ☺
    Eoin

haha, something else to worry about :P
    Sure we have all the angles covered now!

Anyway its not like you're running through Furry Glen so you'll be grand.

Once or twice sounds like enough at that distance alright.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Distances involved were a bit shorter (7km each way) but I did quite a bit of run commuting when I was marathon training last year. I have a cheap Karrimor 15L backpack, kept essentials and toiletries in work, packed outfits of the dress/leggings/cardi kind rather than anything much heavier. Found it really helpful for fitting the mileage in while training with a baby. No help on training in dark conditions though as I was running through two busy inner London boroughs and was more likely to be running through drunk matchday gooners than country roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I'm going to be starting this very soon: I initially just want to do short runs, around 3-4k, between my mainline train station and my office in London (will also save me money on the tube fare!). I'm a novice runner so I want to see how I get on with it at first. Bought a backpack on Wiggle, and thankfully I have a private, lockable office so I can leave things there, but also change etc.

Anyone who has done it, did you have showers at your workplace? There are some at mine, but with such a short run I wonder whether some baby wipes and dry shampoo might do the trick...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Looking into this myself since starting the new job, looking at 6 miles each way but as most have said ill probably only do it one way. Id probably run in in the morning but then get a lift home or whatever, which would lighten the blow. Shower in the new place which is great, and will grab one of them 10L backpacks, less then 30 quid I found it for which isint too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

gutenberg wrote: »
    I'm going to be starting this very soon: I initially just want to do short runs, around 3-4k, between my mainline train station and my office in London (will also save me money on the tube fare!). I'm a novice runner so I want to see how I get on with it at first. Bought a backpack on Wiggle, and thankfully I have a private, lockable office so I can leave things there, but also change etc.

Anyone who has done it, did you have showers at your workplace? There are some at mine, but with such a short run I wonder whether some baby wipes and dry shampoo might do the trick...?

I have had showers at work which I do use. However, I have on occasion had the "baby wipe" shower and it's fine, especially if it hasn't been a sweaty one. Which tbh, it frequently isn't. Mornings are cold, pace is low, so the only thing that makes it sweaty is distance. and 3 to 4km is short!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do have showers at my workplace thankfully but in my old job we didn't and I used to cycle. Many baby wipe cleanups were had.

Funny that, I was working in a place where there were no showers one time and the first thing people say is that they don't exercise because there's no showers. Its just an excuse, even if you're traveling a distance and its warm you can still compromise by using wipes and a complete change of clothes. Whats the difference, you just may not feel as fresh but you're not going to stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I'm considering starting to run commute also to save time. My work is only 2m from my home though so may have to extend it the run a bit. But from a running and race training perspective, would you even count 2x 2m (am and pm) runs if you were regulary running 45-50m per week anyway?

In people's experience is the any adverse negative affect to carrying a pack with regards to injuries? All things being equal, carrying a 2-5kg (?) Pack would put extra strain on your legs no?

I can shower and leave things at my work and I'll probably bike in some days and bring the food & clothes for two days, my plan might be something like this:
    Mon: bike am, run 10-12m pm
    Tues: run 5m am, bike pm
    Wed: bike am, run 10-12m pm
    Thurs: run 5m am, bike pm
    Fri: bike am, bike pm (or run 2m am, 2m pm)

seanynova wrote: »
    But from a running and race training perspective, would you even count 2x 2m (am and pm) runs if you were regulary running 45-50m per week anyway?

In people's experience is the any adverse negative affect to carrying a pack with regards to injuries? All things being equal, carrying a 2-5kg (?) Pack would put extra strain on your legs no?

2 miles isn't even enough for me to warm up properly! It depends on the level of the runner. A complete novice will get a decent workout out of a 2 mile run but for an experienced runner the benefits would barely be noticeable.

As for running with a pack, ultra runners run 100s of miles with backpacks (and sometimes all in one go :) ) and as far as I can tell the injury rate amongst them is no higher than for other runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

crisco10 wrote: »
    I have had showers at work which I do use. However, I have on occasion had the "baby wipe" shower and it's fine, especially if it hasn't been a sweaty one. Which tbh, it frequently isn't. Mornings are cold, pace is low, so the only thing that makes it sweaty is distance. and 3 to 4km is short!

Absolutely. I think I'll try it & see how I go. At the moment I'm only considering that short a distance to see how I get on with it: I'm not a 'runner' per se, it's more a side activity (if that doesn't sound stupid!) - a way to try improve my cardiovascular fitness, and brighten up my commute! I'm a novice too so that distance is fine initially. There's a park close to my office, where the outside perimeter path is around a kilometre: can always add that in as I go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I jogged to & from work a good portion of last year. It was about 8k and took about 35/40min. I just folded my shirt around a hardback A4 sized book and put it together with my trousers inside a lever arch and into a backpack. Never got a crease. I was never fitter in my life. Just drink plenty of water.

I changed jobs and it is now 13k to work, ran it a couple of times but really too long for a daily commitment. Thinking of cycling halfway and jogging the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

I jogged to & from work a good portion of last year. It was about 8k and took about 35/40min. I just folded my shirt around a hardback A4 sized book and put it together with my trousers inside a lever arch and into a backpack. Never got a crease. I was never fitter in my life. Just drink plenty of water.

I changed jobs and it is now 13k to work, ran it a couple of times but really too long for a daily commitment. Thinking of cycling halfway and jogging the rest.

Build up to it. The body will adapt with time. Or do it two or three times a week and figure out another way home in the evening if possible. I'm 16k to work, so I understand as I'm not able for that at the moment. I actually think 13k is a nice one, not too long, not too short!

Danny McDaid did his miles as he delivered the post. John Downes ran 10 miles to and from work. Brendan Foster, 16k in the AM, 16k in the PM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll cycle in on a Monday with enough clothes and food for 2 days, then run home and into work the next day without having to carry too much of anything then cycle home. Works well if going in and out in the same day is too much effort. I really hate running with too much stuff in backpack so I try and have most of my gear in work already.

Got my Deuter Speedlite 10 today so looking forward to trying the commute on Friday evening. Hopefully just have my work clothes, phone, wallet and phone charger in the bag and maybe a lunchbox, shouldnt be too bad!

6.5 miles, probably just be a lift in in the mornings and then a run home, means I dont have to head out when I get home!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'll cycle in on a Monday with enough clothes and food for 2 days, then run home and into work the next day without having to carry too much of anything then cycle home. Works well if going in and out in the same day is too much effort. I really hate running with too much stuff in backpack so I try and have most of my gear in work already.

I do exactly the same, as I absolutely hate running with a backpack.
    In addition to that I usually run both ways one day per week, making sure I brought enough clothes into work beforehand.

It takes only a small amount of planning ahead and is well worth it, especially considering that running into Dublin City centre only take marginally longer than public transport or driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I do this once or twice a week. 7.5 miles. I am lucky to have showers and a locker in work.

Some things I do:

- Pop in on a Sunday to fill the locker with clothes for the week (cycle other days).
    - Only ever run in. Bus or lift home.
    - Run slow. 130 - 140 BPM. No pressure, shuffle along. More likely to do the run if I am tired.
    - Listen to a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was inspired by this thread!

I have a 16km commute each way which I cycle every day.

Ran in and bus home this week and enjoyed it.

Good advice on logistics here and I didn't have to carry a bag.

Certainly will get easier as it gets brighter and warmer (and less feckin windy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I was inspired by this thread!

Likewise :) did my first (partial) runmute in 2 years this morning - oh joy of joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's very satisfying when you do it. I especially find running in on a cold, crisp morning really satisfying - you feel warm from the run, and you get to look at everyone stuck in their cars at junctions. Plus you get into work knowing that you've already got your run in for the day.

I do a 10km roundtrip (or at least usually do, haven't done for two months) once a week. The run home can be hard initially; legs can be stiff, if you've eaten a late lunch you won't feel well. And I'll often get a bonk after 2/3 km that goes away again 2/3km later. But once you just take it easy and don't treat it as a paced training session, it's fine.

I've tried various permutations of carrying gear - a full backpack, a running belt, a very minimalist shoulder bag - and found that ultimately a decent arm band is about the least intrusive. Figure out what the absolute minimum amount of stuff you need to carry then work from there. In my case, that's my phone (in a sandwich bag), my work keycard, debit card and some notes, and a front door key. Anything I need in work is left in work. Anything I need at home is left at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Likewise :) did my first (partial) runmute in 2 years this morning - oh joy of joys!

Me too. Cycled halfway home last night, locked my bike and jogged the last 8k. Did the reverse this morning :) Feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I run commute a few times a week. I have access to a locker in work & always try & have 2 days worth of clothes there.

I am only 4K door to door, but have a 2k, 5K, 6k loops when I get out to work. Can do a 6.5m or 7m other loop. Spoiled for options.

We have showers & towels at work, but I have one left there "just in case". Toiletries permanently left in work too.

It is all about logistics as everyone said. When you run home, you will, potentially, have a set of clothes that could be used another day. Bring home what needs to be washed the days you are not running home, bring in an extra set the days you don't run home. I hate carrying stuff when running, & just have phone, work swipe card & keys. I have a stash of money locked away at my desk along with some porridge and a selection of fruit for breakfasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 noxgearireland

Best success I've had running to work is twice per week back and forth on the same day. Makes for a good mileage day. The only hassle is bringing in the clothes you need the night before.

Been doing this for the last two weeks (not every day) and I just get a lift in/bus and bring my running gear in my backpack with my lunch, then run home with my clothes in the bag, sorted.

6.3 miles aswell, perfect easy miles and enough to fit a tempo/session in aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Going to starting giving this a try soon. I run quite a bit (40-50km most weeks) so hoping not too bad. The commute is about 8.5km on a flat trail beside a canal (Which i cycle in on sometimes also). Work starts for me @ 7am so tough to get going early enough to get in (probably leaving before 6am to get time to shuffle in + Shower). Hoping I can cycle in first day and bring in clothes and gear. I will prob try start with cycle in + run home. Thankfully I can get a train both ways if needed on some days. 

Any tips for very early commute run? I would be grand starting a normal run @ 8am but running @ 6am definitely not normal for me.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Any tips for very early commute run? I would be grand starting a normal run @ 8am but running @ 6am definitely not normal for me.

Don't try and pack your stuff at 6 am. You're bound to forget something while your brain isn't working yet.

Lay out your gear and everything you need to bring (e.g. phone, work keys, house keys, money for train or lunch) the night before, so in the morning you get up, grab your stuff and head straight out of the door. Eat breakfast at work, after your run, if that's an option.

Advertisement