Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Should be decent popcorn fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder what epic stunt Tom Cruise will do himself in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Could be about time it goes full circle and he does bad guy like Voight in Mission Impossible 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I wish I had as much money as Tom Cruise has made off even one of these 6 movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brevity

The last one was poor in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It peaked at #3 in my opinion. That was an excellent action movie in its own right. The late Philip Seymour Hoffmann was an excellent bad guy in that instalment.

#4 had its moments, the sequence in Dubai was very good but otherwise forgettable enough. #5 was very so so.

Of course #2 was the biggest turkey of the lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume Cavill is playing the villain. I don't think Ethan needs anymore sidekicks, er teammates. Remind me, was the door left open for the Syndicate to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michelle Monaghan back and Angela Bassett joins too

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So production on this has been halted because Tom Cruise broke an angle while doing a stunt. He was jumping from one high rise rooftop to another when he landed hard up against a wall and broke his ankle.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

AMKC wrote: »
    So production on this has been halted because Tom Cruise broke an angle while doing a stunt. He was jumping from one high rise rooftop to another when he landed hard up against a wall and broke his ankle.

Got to hand it to Tom, willing to do a stunt himself in order to make it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope it'll be a good, I'm a big fan of the Mission Impossible series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Title confirmed - Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Empire

Now, trailer, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Cruise and his co stars were on Graham Norton lastnight. He mentioned the first trailer will be shown at the Super Bowl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Funny how Impossible, F&F and Transformers never get any hate despite being mindless popcorn fare. As soon as a new Star Wars, Star Trek, Bond or Marvel movie gets announced there would be at least 3 comments along the line of "I bet it's sh*t" even before script or cast has been announced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Oh transformers get plenty of hate.... And for good reason.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 MI movies so looking forward to this.

Gah! Thought there'd be a trailer!

Rewatched the opening titles from 1 for a fix:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mission Impossible series is top notch imo, bar MI:2.
    Think cruise is pure class the way he goes full ham on his own stunts. Their popcorn movie's big time but none the less enjoyable. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Funny how Impossible, F&F and Transformers never get any hate despite being mindless popcorn fare. As soon as a new Star Wars, Star Trek, Bond or Marvel movie gets announced there would be at least 3 comments along the line of "I bet it's sh*t" even before script or cast has been announced.

There is a reason for that. The Mission Impossible films are relatively new and young whereas Star Trek , Star Wars movies are older and fans like them to stick with canoon and continuity and not mess with that. So when someone like for instance JJ Abrams tried to do Star Trek or more recently Rian Johnson tried Star Wars fans get angry and upset because it's not how they want it or like it. bond and Marvel movies
    The Bond movies I never seen any hate for and don't see why there would be but with Marvel movies its because comics obsessed fans want everything like that and think thats how it should . So when it ends up different they get upset and angry.
    That's my two cents on it anyway. Me I just enjoy them. Life is too short to moan about such silly things.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AMKC wrote: »
    There is a reason for that. The Mission Impossible films are relatively new and young whereas Star Trek , Star Wars movies are older and fans like them to stick with canoon and continuity and not mess with that. So when someone like for instance JJ Abrams tried to do Star Trek or more recently Rian Johnson tried Star Wars fans get angry and upset because it's not how they want it or like it. bond and Marvel movies
    The Bond movies I never seen any hate for and don't see why there would be but with Marvel movies its because comics obsessed fans want everything like that and think thats how it should . So when it ends up different they get upset and angry.
    That's my two cents on it anyway. Me I just enjoy them. Life is too short to moan about such silly things.

With Bond they were lucky to re-cast Bond in a much simpler time, so it's expected and allows the "franchise" to stay fresh and change. Star Trek and Star Wars are very canon heavy, and some fans see themselves as the gatekeeper of that canon (and the makers don't help themselves by trying to explain every little thing, even if it's just down to limited budget, or lack of CGI when it was made, i'm surprised we don't have a story on why most of the original Star Wars aliens move like a person wearing a rubber suit..).

MI is much better produced than F&F, then there's a huge gap down to Transformers, reviews seem to reflect this (the scripts in transformers are shockingly awful).

• Advertisement

Urg... one of the least effort Trailer for a Trailer I can think of...

8 seconds

Superbowl Trailer!

TV Ad:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Slydice wrote: »
    Superbowl Trailer!

TV Ad:

In both those trailers, it actually looks like they used the footage where he broke his ankle. In that scene he was supposedly not meant to make the jump but hit off the side of the building. But it definitely looks like the footage I've seen of the accident, the angle that his foot ended up hitting the building at is pretty clear.
    Maybe I'm totally wrong, what do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yup, certainly looks like it! Grabbed this shot from the trailer.

440694.JPG

Ouch! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Think Tom said on the Norton show that the footage would be staying in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Reminds me of this:

Buster was supposed to make the jump but missed. He kept the shot in and totally re-wrote the sequence to match.

With his love of stunts, Cruise is probably the closest thing to a modern day Buster Keaton in American cinema.

They sure threw a lot into that trailer. The start had me wondering if it was Mission: Impossible - Spectre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, if nothing else these movies are clearly keeping Ving Rhames in clover, 'cos lord knows he doesn't pop up in anything else these days!

Looks solid; number 5 was OK and possibly the weakest MI since the John Woo sequel, so hopefully this is a return to the heights of Ghost Protocol. I do see the bad guy from 'Rogue Nation' has returned - notwithstanding the main cast, I think this is the first time a MI film is actuall behaving as a narrative sequel to a previous iteration, right?

Re. the Cruise failed stunt; that kind of thing happens quite a lot in Hollywood: obviously you don't want your actors putting themselves in danger or getting gravely injured, but it can help a scene. I always remember Lord of the Rings, and how Viggo Mortensen legitimately breaking his toe helped sell a dramatic moment: apparently that cry of anguish was real :D

• Advertisement

And it gets better. Tom Cruise did his own helicopter stunt piloting! Including the downward spiral seen in the trailer.

Advertisement