Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2018 check list!

• 22-01-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭

New Years Day 2018.
    6th January/Little Christmas.
    Decorations come down!
    Dancing with the stars returns.
    Argos Spring/Summer catalogue.
    February 1st/St Brigid's day.
    Rugby Union - Six Nations starts.
    Pancake Tuesday- 13th February.
    Ash Wednesday/Valentines Day.
    Mothers Day- 11th March.
    St Patrick's Day.
    Clocks go forward. (Summer time begins)
    Palm Sunday/Waffle Day- 25th March.
    Easter Sunday- April 1st.
    Britain's Got Talent returns.
    Eurovision week- May 8th-12.
    GAA season starts.
    State Exams Begin.
    Word Cup Russia starts- June 14th.
    Fathers Day- 17th June.
    Longest day of the year.
    Schools Close for the Summer.
    Rudolph Day - June 25th (Halfway Mark)
    Wimbledon 2nd-15th July.
    Tour De France starts 7th July.
    World cup ends.
    Argos Autumn/Winter Catalogue.
    Galway Races
    August Bank Holiday weekend.
    Winter woollies begin to appear in shops.
    RTE Autumn/Winter schedule.
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens.
    Rose of Tralee.
    Back To School.
    Tins of Roses/Quality Street/etc in shops.
    Hurling/Football All Ireland finals.
    The Late Late Show Returns.
    Strictly Come Dancing starts back.
    100 days to Christmas!
    Ploughing championships take place.
    Ryder Cup 28th-30th September.
    Boots gift catalogue released.
    Gift sets/decorations/wrapping paper appear in shops.
    Christmas baking- cakes/puddings etc.
    Clock go back. (Summer time ends)
    Weather Forum's winter weather thread goes live.
    Halloween.
    Christmas cups in Starbucks/Costa etc.
    Santa Claus is on the Kellogg’s Corn Flakes box.
    Calendar Club shops reopen.
    Christmas ads start appearing on TV.
    Christmas FM announce their charity partner.
    The Holly Bough goes on sale.
    John Lewis ad is released.
    Shops/Shopping Centers start being decorated.
    Christmas lights switching on across the country.
    Black Friday- 23rd November.
    People begin putting up decorations.
    Christmas FM goes live.
    Music/Movie channels become Christmas channels
    The Late Late Toy Show.
    Advent begins.
    Shops stock hams/party food/brandy butter etc.
    Schools/business start to close for the holidays.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wow that is epic!!

I’m going to add in one as well when the weather forums winter weather thread goes live.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What a list! :D

I have added a couple of things which were requested by posters last year, like the Holly Bough, and deleted a couple of more generic ones which are harder to check off as a collective group. Wow, 4 checked off already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Should we include the Rudolph Days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Should we include the Rudolph Days?

No I don't think we need to, Waffle Day makes the list, that makes me happy enough. We could add in November 25th as that's the last Rudolph Day of 2018.

Loughc wrote: »
    No I don't think we need to, Waffle Day makes the list, that makes me happy enough. We could add in November 25th as that's the last Rudolph Day of 2018.

Coola :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I think we should add in the 183rd day of the year (would need to work it out) as this is the halfway point of the year and therefore we are half way there!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kitten_k wrote: »
    I think we should add in the 183rd day of the year (would need to work it out) as this is the halfway pint of the year and therefore we are half way there!

Good idea, I can't edit the post tough!

Good idea, I can't edit the post tough!

We can though, what date is the half way mark?

It is 2nd July

kitten_k wrote: »
    It is 2nd July

Maybe I'm wrong, but is halfway to Christmas not 25th of June?

That would leave 6 months to go, 2nd July is half way to end of the year?

• Advertisement

Yea sorry i was making out based on days for the full year.

Put is as 25th June - that way it will mean that Rudolph Day will be extra special!

Maybe I'm wrong, but is halfway to Christmas not 25th of June?

That would leave 6 months to go, 2nd July is half way to end of the year?

I think your correct. The 183rd day of the year is the 2nd of July when you start counting from the 1st of January but it's the 24th of June when you start on the 26th of December!

List now updated with a fancy table look.

Spot the accountant. :pac:

List updated to mark off 1st Feb!

3 more items will be marked off in the next two weeks. I love once we get past January. feels like things start moving!

Suggestions are still welcome if you want to add to our epic checklist.

Did anybody else notice I left the seasons out of my opening post?
    I did this because they cause a lot of fights on which month they actually start!

Did anybody else notice I left the seasons out of my opening post?
    I did this because they cause a lot of fights on which month they actually start!

I'm a

Spring - February, March, April
    Summer - May, June, July
    Autumn - August, Sept, Oct
    Winter - Nov, Dec, Jan

kind of person myself.

I'm a

Spring - February, March, April
    Summer - May, June, July
    Autumn - August, Sept, Oct
    Winter - Nov, Dec, Jan

kind of person myself.

I'm the same here but mention that in others forums and they'd be world war three.
    My view is I go by Argos. They do Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter the traditional way.

I'm the same here but mention that in others forums and they'd be world war three.
    My view is I go by Argos. They do Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter the traditional way.

I mentioned it once in the Weather forum... once.. :pac:

I remember living in France once and on Feb 1st, I was like "deadly, it's the first day of Spring" and they were like "what are you talking about, Spring doesn't start until March 25th" :eek:

• Advertisement

Weirdos!! :pac:

Only one more full season to get through and the Brown Thomas Christmas shop will be back open. :D

Posy wrote: »
    Weirdos!! :pac:

Only one more full season to get through and the Brown Thomas Christmas shop will be back open. :D

Another way to look at it is if your in London Selfridges often open there Christmas shop in July. So technically this is the final season with no Christmas in it.
    Also the Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue is out next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'd say summer was June July August as they were the warmest. But being a Christmas head its really two season, build up to Christmas, and Christmas Season which begins around Halloween.

No... August is Autumn. Sure, they're practically the same word, like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My own view is that the seasons don't have to be an exact three months: in fact, they usually aren't.

I mean, take February where we are now: yes, the days are longer, past 9 hours daylight: but it's flippin' perishing cold.

Contrariwise, August can be extremely hot. So Winter and Summer are about four months each (and feel even longer) while Spring and Autumn appear as the transitions between the hot and cold seasons, and they float in at slightly different times each year: how often have you heard "oh, it was a very late Spring, there was still snow in March"?
    Or, "It was a very late Autumn, still mild in early November."

This is Ireland, that's how our weather actually IS. Can't be bound by rules and regulations!

On the other hand, Bloomsday is always the 16th of June, high summer, and a great opportunity for dressing-up, for those who like such things.
    So I'm proposing that it should appear in an annual Celebration Calendar, Irish Style.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The 16th June is our wedding anniversary so I’m totally on board with everyone celebrating us. :cool:

That’s everything for February crossed off. Next stop March 11th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I always thought Mayday marked the start of summer. Is this not right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mothers Day and Saint Patricks day to be crossed off, and as of SUnday clocks going forward also... we're flying it here folks!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

And Sunday is waffle day!!! yummers!!

Advertisement