Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a rugby club to get Ireland tickets?

• 26-01-2018 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I don't know if I've missed the boat for this year's 6 nations - probably have. But I've recently taken a notion of going and seeing Ireland play - whilst I've watched hundreds of games I've never been to an Ireland game.
    My understanding is the best way to get tickets is to join a local rugby club and any returned tickets go back to an Ireland supporters club? Is it worth joining the Ireland supporters club if they rely on returned tickets? And local doesn't mean the Ulster branch it's Ards or North Down, is that right? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking for with respect to that.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you join a club have you any intention of playing? Because just rocking up and expecting tickets isn't going to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Finding out what the club's situation for tickets would be something I do before joining.

Tickets may go to club committee, be allocated to players officials coaches etc or there may be an open raffle or tickets may be sold to whoever is willing to pay the over priced touted price the tickets are sold at by the club.

Does six nations matter to you or if you just want to watch Ireland play usually there are tickets on public sale for the ais.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Thanks guys. No I'm not physically able to play.
    Sounds like they've made it very difficult to get tickets to see Ireland play in the 6 nations. I'd be grand with the ais, and tickets for those are publicly available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

My club has members that are not active in the club in any way apart from turning up to get tickets. They usually get them but we are a large senior club and get lots of tickets compared to smaller clubs. But I suppose we have a bigger membership too.

That said, they are not guaranteed and some of these members get upset when they dont get them since that was their sole reason for joining in the first place.

Of course committee members, volunteers, players, coaches take preference. Sponsors get them too if they want them.

Of course committee members, volunteers, players, coaches take preference. Sponsors get them too if they want them.

I do love rugby, and assuming I get time for it I would be open to volunteering. Will have to check with what ever my local club is - not exactly sure of the structure/way they are divided up in terms of area here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I do love rugby, and assuming I get time for it I would be open to volunteering. Will have to check with what ever my local club is - not exactly sure of the structure/way they are divided up in terms of area here.
    You're probably too late for this year anyway. Normally you have to put your name in well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

If you love Rugby, would reffing be an option?

If you are a branch ref you can apply for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't know if I've missed the boat for this year's 6 nations - probably have. But I've recently taken a notion of going and seeing Ireland play - whilst I've watched hundreds of games I've never been to an Ireland game.
    My understanding is the best way to get tickets is to join a local rugby club and any returned tickets go back to an Ireland supporters club? Is it worth joining the Ireland supporters club if they rely on returned tickets? And local doesn't mean the Ulster branch it's Ards or North Down, is that right? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be looking for with respect to that.

Thanks for the help fellas.
    You will have missed the boat for this years tournament. If you would like to go to an irish game. November games are easier to get tickets for. Tickets within clubs, as others have said, will generally go to players, coaches, committee members or people who know them or sponsors of a club. Irish supporters club is very over subscribed so difficult to get tickets from
    Getting involved in some way in the club be that coaching, helping out in some way is best way to get a ticket within a club
    Sounds like they've made it very difficult to get tickets to see Ireland play in the 6 nations. I'd be grand with the ais, and tickets for those are publicly available?
    Tickets are more likely to be publicly available for november games bar if its New Zealand

Tickets are usually available for the ais. If the all blacks are here that one probably won't be publically available (except maybe in a pack with the other ais).

By distributing through the club's the IRFU feels that they kept tickets to those who are involved in the game. Who knows if it works properly. Many clubs turn tout to fundraise.

There had to be a system when demand outstrips supply and this is a relatively fair one.

That gives me plenty to work with.

Thank you very much guys, hope you have a great Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’ve been lucky yearly with supporters club, this cycle with wales, Scotland Italy at home tickets also pop up on ticket master. Few have popped up over the last week so keep an eye.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just to say with Leinster and Munster having home European qf’s, depending on where you are based I’d try get to one of those. Should be great rugby and atmosphere all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

Tickets are floating about for alot of the big games this year. I dont know what the issue is and why its different but ive never seen it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

LENNY86 wrote: »
    Tickets are floating about for alot of the big games this year. I dont know what the issue is and why its different but ive never seen it so bad.

It appears that demand and attendance for rugby in general in this country is dropping the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GiftofGab wrote: »
    It appears that demand and attendance for rugby in general in this country is dropping the last few years.

They are too dear. Tickets always available for the year we dont play England and France

There will be tonnes of Scots and Welsh at the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

gypsy79 wrote: »
    They are too dear. Tickets always available for the year we dont play England and France

Apart from Italy match demand in my club was well in excess of supply. Sold out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

Tickets for the Wales, Scotland and Italy games in Dublin were all for sale on Ticketmaster at one stage or another.

It's always bad when the three 'less demanded games' are at home. We see this type of post every two years.

GiftofGab wrote: »

Definitely its an awful shame. I have never seen so many England tickets being sold. This isnt how it usually is.

It's always bad when the three 'less demanded games' are at home. We see this type of post every two years.

But its not even so. England has had a huge number ready to be returned to the RFU.

• Advertisement

But its not even so. England has had a huge number ready to be returned to the RFU.

wow really? I've tried everything and everyone I know to get two England tickets and everyone laughed at me!

pc7 wrote: »
    wow really? I've tried everything and everyone I know to get two England tickets and everyone laughed at me!

I recommend you speak to people who are in the same circles who can access tickets. Trust me theres quite a lump.

Will do, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

From my perspective:
    1. I find it very annoying sitting amongst fans who keep asking you to get up in critical moments of the game to get pints or go to the jacks. I don't get this in the comfort of my own home

2. The atmosphere is diluted with the amount of corporate at VI nations

3. The tickets are expensive. Especially if I wanted to bring the kids.

4. It can be difficult to see what's happening scrum time and breakdown. Even though, you get a much better few of things like the FB
    positioning etc

So for that reason, I watch 'em at home. Wondering are other fans the same?

From my perspective:
    1. I find it very annoying sitting amongst fans who keep asking you to get up in critical moments of the game to get pints or go to the jacks. I don't get this in the comfort of my own home

2. The atmosphere is diluted with the amount of corporate at VI nations

3. The tickets are expensive. Especially if I wanted to bring the kids.

4. It can be difficult to see what's happening scrum time and breakdown. Even though, you get a much better few of things like the FB
    positioning etc

So for that reason, I watch 'em at home. Wondering are other fans the same?

I havent missed a game home or away in a number of years.
    I couldnt ever imagine watching a game live on TV now. Breakdown can be hard to watch live- But also is movement off the ball in attack and defence hard to follow on a TV set as you cant see the blindsides or the lines.

I prefer to watch live as I can see whats going on and tend to watch games back that night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

gypsy79 wrote: »

Ticket demand for Wales games is second only to that for the England games. That there are many away fans at these games is due to home fans and clubs sorting them out, not a lack of demand domestically.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Most clubs have "A pavilion" or non playing membership that allows you to buy tickets.
    Alot of clubs have a one ticket per member per match rule. The hierarchy is normally sponsors/committee/coaches/players and ex players and bottom of the pile are non active pavillion members. So bear in mind if you looking for a second ticket.
    I would also advise you to attend a few club games/functions/buy a few raffle/ watch an away game in the Bar / nip in for a pint. So that you get to know a few members and at least some will say "give Jonny a ticket he was at the last home game before he paid his membership or ordered tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

From my perspective:

This is so annoying at internationals. Never see it to the same extent at provincial level. In Cardiff a few years ago, we were genuinely asked to get up, at the very least, twenty times in each half. It was an Irish section too so couldn’t even blame the Welsh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just a reminder folks that tickets are not allowed to be advertised on the forum. Posters have previously been scammed by other posters, so be very wary of buying tickets or anyone offering tickets, including via PM, no matter how genuine they seem. Please report any such PMs to moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I recommend you all read this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057785234

Advertisement