Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paris Versailles

• 19-07-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anybody doing the Paris Versailles 16km run this year, or have any experience of running it?

I've signed up for it and just wanted a bit of advice, dos and don'ts etc, is there a section over cobbles I wonder? Hope not.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

That's a proper climb at mile 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

An_Reathai wrote: »
    That's a proper climb at mile 4!

I used to live at the foot of that climb, the Route des Gardes in Meudon, and usually went up it or down it in my training runs. It's a real wall of a climb alright, like three Mount Anvilles (in Dublin) one after the other.

Never did Paris-Versailles but always heard good things about the organisation, and the route is great, especially if you're a visitor. Once you get to the top of the hill, the forest of Meudon is lovely to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I used to live at the foot of that climb, the Route des Gardes in Meudon, and usually went up it or down it in my training runs. It's a real wall of a climb alright, like three Mount Anvilles (in Dublin) one after the other.

Never did Paris-Versailles but always heard good things about the organisation, and the route is great, especially if you're a visitor. Once you get to the top of the hill, the forest of Meudon is lovely to run in.

Just over a mile long that climb looks like, would that be right? Taking it handy over the first 4 miles will be important with that climb on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

who_ru wrote: »
    Just over a mile long that climb looks like, would that be right? Taking it handy over the first 4 miles will be important with that climb on the horizon.

The first half-mile is the worst of it. After that, when you cross over the rail line and turn left up the avenue towards the forest, the second half is easier by comparison.

I'm heading back to Paris for a few days in August so I must head out to Meudon and run up it again for old times' sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've just signed up for this year's one this September. I've a fair bit of training to do and would appreciate any insights from any of you good folks if you have them.

Cheers

garbanzo wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've just signed up for this year's one this September. I've a fair bit of training to do and would appreciate any insights from any of you good folks if you have them.

Cheers

I ran it in 2015 and loved it.

You'll have to collect your race number etc on the Saturday morning in Paris, the website will tell you were to collect it, then it's all about taking it relatively easy until the Sunday.

It's a big event, there is a warm up track near the start, champ de mars I think it's called. If you bring a bag to the event, clothes etc when race is complete, you can drop it at a drop point beside the track, the bags will be at the finish line when you get there. Buy a ticket for the train back to Paris in advance, saves queuing on the day after the race.

The hill at the 4 mile mark is tough, long and quite steep, But the crowds urge you on. There are refreshment points along the route, water, oranges and cubes of sugar are handed out.

Don't worry if you don't get a warm up done as it takes a long time to get all runners away, they do it in stages, fastest first etc, I was waiting about 30mins to get away so was just standing around for that time but do get to the start on time. You get a nice medal at the end of it.

I thought about running it again this year, but didn't register.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Class description from the '80s by Charlie Spedding, no less.
    He won

(p 104 'Last to First, Charlie Spedding)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

It's still open for 2017 registration. Early bird til 30th April, €29

Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Col De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Not an expensive trip either if you book the various elements well in advance. Having been on many's the boozy rugby trip to Paris down the years, it came as a bit of a surprise to find myself wandering the bars and cafés the night before drinking sparkling water.

All in all a great experience and glad I did it.

• Advertisement

Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Col De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Not an expensive trip either if you book the various elements well in advance. Having been on many's the boozy rugby trip to Paris down the years, it came as a bit of a surprise to find myself wandering the bars and cafés the night before drinking sparkling water.

Great to hear it all went well, thanks for the update.

Yes I found the last stretch into Versailles tough as well, seems to go on forever.

I think I'll go back to do it one day, maybe next year.

Well done on completing it, it's one that you'll remember for a long time.

30 September 2018 - 41st edition of Paris Versailles.

Registration opens 19 February.

I think I’ll give it another bash.

Inscriptions have been open a wee while now for the PV Grande Classique on Sumday 29th September.

Tempted to give it another crack after a one year break...!
    💪

Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Côte De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Completed it on Sunday 29th with my daughter. Everything I said in my post above from two years ago still holds. Only prob was it rained, Irish style, while we were waiting to get off. Thankfully it cleared up quickly. Bumped into a few Irish groups who were doing it too.

Highly recommend, very well organised.

Completed it on Sunday 29th with my daughter. Everything I said in my post above from two years ago still holds. Only prob was it rained, Irish style, while we were waiting to get off. Thankfully it cleared up quickly. Bumped into a few Irish groups who were doing it too.

Highly recommend, very well organised.

Noticed I posted this update exactly one year ago this evening. Christ the world has changed soooo much since.

Hope to get back to this sometime in the future.

Advertisement