Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't format USB

• 27-01-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop tells me that I need to format one of my USB sticks but when I try to do this, I get this message:

Windows Can't Format G
    Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them.

I'm not really sure what to do. I'd like to not have to delete the files that are on the USB if possible. Any suggestions to what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

My favourite tool for when **** wont format

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try the stick on another pc first. If you have the same issues then it's probably corrupt. Try Recuva to see if it can retrieve any of the data. Formating will erase all data on the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Rothko wrote: »
    My laptop tells me that I need to format one of my USB sticks but when I try to do this, I get this message:

Windows Can't Format G
    Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them.

I'm not really sure what to do. I'd like to not have to delete the files that are on the USB if possible. Any suggestions to what I can do?

If you format it you will lose the files!

Backup first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm not sure i I can backup the USB as I can't open it. Whenever I try to, I get the message to format it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Rothko wrote: »
    I'm not sure i I can backup the USB as I can't open it. Whenever I try to, I get the message to format it.

I would try it on a different operating system to see if it is recognised.

If not, and there are files on there that are important, then a recovery process would be called for ...... and likely successful if you have not done anything further to the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there may be a physical lock on the key itself but as said if you format it it will delete everything
    if you can try and download a Linux trial disk to see if it it is picked up on that

diskpart

Advertisement