Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BTC energy consumption & sustainability

Options
  • 26-01-2018 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

BTC mining consumes a shed load of energy. Is this sustainable going forward? If not, will the implementation of Lightning Network have a significant effect on consumption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BTC mining consumes a shed load of energy. Is this sustainable going forward?

It is if the energy source is renewable. Which is a lot easier than you would think. Scotland (of all places) is aiming to have 100% renewable electricity by 2020 (solar + wind). They won't make it, but they're not that far off. Whereas we in Ireland are once again the dirty man of Europe. With all our diesel and almost zero solar. We (you and me the tax payers) are already paying massive fines for our pollution. Most people and even politicians seem to be unaware of this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

Part of me is wary that if Governments do want to limit cryptos, that a backdoor method to doing this would be to focus on the energy/environmental side of things. I'm drifting more towards POS coins as a result, but that's just my opinion and for my own comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

if Governments do want to limit cryptos, that a backdoor method to doing this would be to focus on the energy/environmental side of things.

That seems to be the main reason behind Chinese government (With China by far the biggest crypto mining country in the world) trying to limit mining.

Advertisement