Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midleton Very Rare 2017. New box Old box

• 20-01-2018 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭

The 2017 version of Midleton very rare can be bought in either a new style of bottle/box, and the old Traditional bottle/ box.

Which one will be more collectable?

I have both.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mikeecho wrote: »
    The 2017 version of Midleton very rare can be bought in either a new style of bottle/box, and the old Traditional bottle/ box.

I have both.

Hard to know, but prob the old style one. Think there is less of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

I have both.

Gossip is that the old box is likely to be scarcer. Only available in some airports (not Dublin) and some European markets. Not sure about U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

sceach16 wrote: »
    Gossip is that the old box is likely to be scarcer. Only available in some airports (not Dublin) and some European markets. Not sure about U.S.

That's what I thought, but then I heard that the old style box was for foreign markets and that the new box was for 2017 going to be in Ireland and the US.

Does anyone know for definite ?

Because Germany seems to be getting both styles of box.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its guesswork without knowing the exact numbers produced of each type. If one is rarer it'll be more valuable.

I find it quite pathetic that a whiskey is being made knowing that vast amounts of it will never be drunk - they may as well put brown sugar syrup in the bottles...

L1011 wrote: »
    Its guesswork without knowing the exact numbers produced of each type. If one is rarer it'll be more valuable.

I find it quite pathetic that a whiskey is being made knowing that vast amounts of it will never be drunk - they may as well put brown sugar syrup in the bottles...

It's a hobby.. just like collecting stamps.
    It's unfortunate that you have that opinion.

As the numbers produced, it's never known how many bottles of MVR are released on any given year.
    But this 2017 batch is even more of a mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's a hobby.. just like collecting stamps.
    It's unfortunate that you have that opinion.

Ah, but when you collect stamps, artworks etc, you get to appreciate them while you have them!

The idea of keeping fine bottles of whiskey in my house without ever getting to sample the delights contained within seems utterly sinful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quackster wrote: »
    Ah, but when you collect stamps, artworks etc, you get to appreciate them while you have them!
    How do you appreciate stamps, you are also not using them for the supposed "proper" puprose intended, just looking at them. I would sooner browse through someones collection of whiskey bottles & boxes than a stamp collection.

It could well end up drank at some stage.

We have one of the old style box left at work. Nobody would buy it over Christmas. Everybody wanted the new box or nothing at all. Might buy it myself now.

We have one of the old style box left at work. Nobody would buy it over Christmas. Everybody wanted the new box or nothing at all. Might buy it myself now.

Just make sure that it's 2017

Just make sure that it's 2017

It's a 2017 alright.

• Advertisement

It's a 2017 alright.

Strange that the 2017 old style was made available here.
    I had it on good authority that only the new packaging was being distributed in Ireland.

This mistery of MVR 2017, is akin to The Curse of Oak Island.
    Everytime you figure something out, something happens to contradict it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Given that Master of Malt are saying that they'll be supplying the old style box till "mid 2018", I can't imagine that they're that uncommon.

Edit: The Whiskey Exchange also show the old style box with 2017 on it.

It's a 2017 alright.

Just checked it this morning and I was wrong, it's a 2016 bottle. I was sure it was 2017. Might buy it anyway!

Just checked it this morning and I was wrong, it's a 2016 bottle. I was sure it was 2017. Might buy it anyway!

I found the 2016 to be nicer than the 2017, even though the '17 has older stock in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Many collectors will drink the whiskey and keep the empty bottle and box :D

Currently 8 empty Middleton boxes (collected over many years), 4 full ones, one half full. One Teeling 23 silver bottling full, one half empty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I picked up the old box 2017 In Edinburgh 2 weeks ago, il prob pick up a new style box though soon enough just to add to the collection, il pop down to the distillery tomorrow to see which one they are selling.

TheBully wrote: »
    I picked up the old box 2017 In Edinburgh 2 weeks ago, il prob pick up a new style box though soon enough just to add to the collection, il pop down to the distillery tomorrow to see which one they are selling.

Only the new one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up the old box 2017 on Irish Ferries, €120!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Picked up the old box 2017 on Irish Ferries, €120!

Yeah it's a bargain on the ferry! If you can call a bottle of whiskey for 120 a bargain

Yeah it's a bargain on the ferry! If you can call a bottle of whiskey for 120 a bargain

Seeing as it retails for 180 it's a decent bargain.
    Plus if you go club class you get a further discount I believe.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Seeing as it retails for 180 it's a decent bargain.
    Plus if you go club class you get a further discount I believe.

I checked this with Irish Ferries. Club class discount does not apply to booze or tobacco.

I've managed to acquire 4x old style bottles, and I picked up a few new style locally.

Being on midleton 2018

I've managed to acquire 4x old style bottles, and I picked up a few new style locally.

Being on midleton 2018

Yep. I reckon my Irish Ferries 2017s will be good to trade for 2018s! (eventually)

Yep. I reckon my Irish Ferries 2017s will be good to trade for 2018s! (eventually)

I'll put it with my collection of 2009's :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I checked this with Irish Ferries. Club class discount does not apply to booze or tobacco.

Is it not halved for booze and just stopped for tobacco and, weirdly, Chanel perfume?

Is it not halved for booze and just stopped for tobacco and, weirdly, Chanel perfume?

Text of email.

"Hi Mick,

The discount would not apply to cigarettes or alcohol purchases.

Thanks and Regards,"

I might do a field test!

I was going on the signs in the actual shop on the boat but it's entirely possible I'm wrong!

The alcohol is not really cheap whereas the tobacco is so there are definitely different margins in play

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I was going on the signs in the actual shop on the boat but it's entirely possible I'm wrong!

The alcohol is not really cheap whereas the tobacco is so there are definitely different margins in play

Any booze I've picked up on Irish Ferries has been as cheap as, if not cheaper than, the duty free prices at Dublin Airport so I'm not sure what margin they'd have to cut prices any further.

Quackster wrote: »
    Any booze I've picked up on Irish Ferries has been as cheap as, if not cheaper than, the duty free prices at Dublin Airport so I'm not sure what margin they'd have to cut prices any further.

On the Ulysses two weeks ago there was nothing astonishingly good value and some was actually cheaper volume for volume in Tesco Ireland (Black Bush, even after calculating 700ml vs the 1l bottle on the boat). I took a look at everything as I had the remains of my Ryanair refund cheque that I said was to be spent on whisky to burn. I burnt it in Tesco UK instead.

Virtually nothing that Tesco UK sold was cheaper on the boat but their selection of Irish is bloody awful. The Tesco in Holyhead has a fantastic selection of Scotch, Gin, Vodka and Rum though.

Dublin Airport prices are also pretty crap these days though. 1l of Gordons, duty free, with the Fastrack discount was noticeably dearer than on arrival in Switzerland. Switzerland, where a tolberone is about a tenner in duty free!

• Advertisement

That's very odd, I've gotten it before.

Advertisement