Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instagram followers

• 21-01-2018 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I am relatively new to Instagram, and use it as a medium to show my photos from my new hobby, photography.

I have acquired some followers, which I am chuffed about, & I post an image every day.

But somebody explain to me, as I cannot understand it. I have 80+ images on the site and have 167 followers.

I came across somebody this evening who has 4 images posted & has 2300+ followers. I don't think this person is a celebrity (I don't know the person, but that doesn't really count much).

I am just being curious.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Probably went on a follow for follow spree when they first set up the account and then never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here are some basic tips to gain likes and followers. This is not a detailed recipe for success, but engaging regularly in the following will help increase stats. In short, you will have to work at self-promotion to grow. The account you mention probably does some combination of the below.

If you have other social media channels such as Twitter or Facebook, you should use them to promote your Instagram account. If people “like” you on one platform, chances are they will like you on other platforms.

You should actively follow, like and comment on other accounts. Do it sensibly rather than spammily mind. Find accounts you like, whose content you admire and engage.

Use hashtags. You can add up to 30 hashtags per post and clever use of popular hashtags will bring likes and followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It also does take time. I'm up to nearly 400 followers, pretty organically, but it's taken 3+ years. I used to be afraid (no idea why) to comment on other posts of accounts that are similar to mine but have way more followers.

Do look at the most used hashtags in the area you're posting in, and use them. Often there are collation accounts that check those tags really regaulalry and may feature you, that can lead to lots more people seeing your content.

Also consider using the stories feature- without spamming- to explain the background to some of your shots, or topics, or whatever. I love catching up on my favourite accounts' stories on the bus in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you both very much.

I am a bit long in the tooth to look for likes - curiosity just got the better of me.

But I do like the idea of the story. I have never used it in Instagram but I would use it to explain the themes of my Saturday shots. I'll read up more on this.

Thank you very much.

Rgds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭canireally

They could also have bought them. There are companies you can buy followers from to look as though you have more engagement than you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

dudara wrote: »
    Here are some basic tips to gain likes and followers. This is not a detailed recipe for success, but engaging regularly in the following will help increase stats. In short, you will have to work at self-promotion to grow. The account you mention probably does some combination of the below.

If you have other social media channels such as Twitter or Facebook, you should use them to promote your Instagram account. If people “like” you on one platform, chances are they will like you on other platforms.

You should actively follow, like and comment on other accounts. Do it sensibly rather than spammily mind. Find accounts you like, whose content you admire and engage.

Use hashtags. You can add up to 30 hashtags per post and clever use of popular hashtags will bring likes and followers.

I agree with this, my daily average new followers according to social blade is 42. It takes interaction and engagement with like minded accounts to grow yours. I don't actually follow many accounts I think I follow about 200 but I do comment on and like others photos. Also use hashtags, I've been reposted a few times lately by accounts with 250k+ followers by using relevant hashtags(you'll see on some big accounts they will have use #blahblah for a chance to be featured) and each time my followers have grown by about 150-200 in a day. I'm currently hovering at about 12k followers after about 2 years on instagram but it is really only in the past few months that I am seeing the momentum of about 1000 followers a month.
    Also above all that of course is post good content, if people want to see that you post consistently good content they are more likely to follow you and stay following you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Valerie Matthews

Thanks for suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

you should also consider the time of the day...I do not know much about it but people are more active during the evening hours

Advertisement