Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2018

• 08-12-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 46 james quinn

Have done a few one off races with IMRA before but was hoping to give the league a go and get some consistency in. Any recommendations or tips for the league in general?

The Winter Spring League specifically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The winter league has something for everyone, ranging from the more straightforward traily races to the damnation of Maulin and Annagh :-)

Enjoy. Get out and practise similar routes or on the courses themselves if you can. The best training for hill running is hill running. Some short speed or hill reps in training will also be of benefit. Make sure your footwear is up to the task. And don't forget your jacket. A lightweight one which can fold into a pocket if need be is best.

League race, Climb, Distance, Difficulty Rating
    Howth Winter 255m 5.71km 6
    Hellfire Spring 240m 6.40km 4
    Ticknock Winter 330m 7.80km 7
    Mullaghmeen 423m 10.80km 6
    Trooperstown Hill 380m 10.60km 6
    Maulin Winter 538m 7.50km 7
    Annagh Hill 630m 11.15km 9

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Some good practice to those new to trail running on the 27th of December (This Wednesday) at Djouce -

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1532/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 james quinn

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Some good practice to those new to trail running on the 27th of December (This Wednesday) at Djouce -

Went to this actually and it was very enjoyable race. Seemed a lot flatter than the few events i have done before so expecting a lot more hills for the league.

Went to this actually and it was very enjoyable race. Seemed a lot flatter than the few events i have done before so expecting a lot more hills for the league.

Yeah it was the reverse of the Xmas race last year...Was a good bit tougher in reverse! The 5 of us at the front stuck together for entire race, personally I was too knackered on the last 500 meters to challenge for top 3. The remembrance race is meant as more of a trail run as oppose to mountain race.

Looking forward to Howth next week and although it's short race by WSL standards, it ain't easy! It's actually a real lung buster. So you are in for a treat.

You won't have anything near as easy in the WSL as Earls Drive on the 27th :pac:

Looking forward to the IMRA season.
    More races on the calendar this year, including some new additions in the south-east.
    Cmon Boardsies lets be having you. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah it was the reverse of the Xmas race last year...Was a good bit tougher in reverse! The 5 of us at the front stuck together for entire race, personally I was too knackered on the last 500 meters to challenge for top 3. The remembrance race is meant as more of a trail run as oppose to mountain race.

Looking forward to Howth next week and although it's short race by WSL standards, it ain't easy! It's actually a real lung buster. So you are in for a treat.

You won't have anything near as easy in the WSL as Earls Drive on the 27th :pac:

I was in no mans land between you 5 and those behind me, the gap was only getting bigger as race went on to your group ahead!!! Was afraid that would be the case alright!! I'll be at Howth anyway, have done it once before a couple of years back but would be hoping for an improvement this time on what was a bad bad day out on my behalf:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Just signed up for the Gelandalough Clover on February 24th.

I did my first IMRA race last year, the Wicklow Way, and really enjoyed it - IMRA know how to put on a great event with fantastic support.

Unfortunately I'm based in Galway so will probably only make it East/South for some of the longer races but I'm definitely going to do a few this year.

Great day for Howth today, the weater was very kind to us. How did ye get on?

Most of us seemed to go wrong coming off the hill, but with the group I was in we copped it and turned back after about 150 meters. Cost me about 5 places though, but happy with 23rd! Solid start to the year I guess :pac:

Looking forward to some of the longer races in the WSL coming up! My personal favorite from last year being Mullaghmeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Off the final hill? You initially headed back towards the steps you came from the start?

Great day for Howth today, the weater was very kind to us. How did ye get on?

Most of us seemed to go wrong coming off the hill, but with the group I was in we copped it and turned back after about 150 meters. Cost me about 5 places though, but happy with 23rd! Solid start to the year I guess :pac:

Looking forward to some of the longer races in the WSL coming up! My personal favorite from last year being Mullaghmeen.

Yeah, was in the same bunch and reckoned 4 or 5 places were lost. Could have done with a marshall there were both tracks were marked. Though the wise ones in the field had done a warm-up in that direction and figured out their finish route in advance :-)

Very well organised route. Massive turn-out. Probably too big a crowd for the route on offer. Was quite congested at times on the narrow tracks.

Great day for it and enjoyable run to kick off the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ran into a fcucking tree near the finish, great bloody crack!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I feel I cheated my way to 7th.

The lad in front of me went straight off the last hill, I went to go left but couldn't see any tape, the guy behind me went by and went straight so I followed and seen tape and kept going (even though I knew it had to be wrong),gave up chasing then because I presumed I would be DQ'd.

Missed Howth as it turned out so looks like Hellfire will be the first one of the season. Any tips?!?!

Missed Howth as it turned out so looks like Hellfire will be the first one of the season. Any tips?!?!

Pace yourself on the 1st steep climb. Correct footwear essential or you'll be slipping about.

Looking at the event details, the pub is 3.5k away from the course so that might make a nice warm up and one less car to bring to a small car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Pace yourself on the 1st steep climb. Correct footwear essential or you'll be slipping about.

Looking at the event details, the pub is 3.5k away from the course so that might make a nice warm up and one less car to bring to a small car park.

About 2.5km up through Masseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Enjoyed Hellfire this morning, great weather for the hills. Have to improve my climbing, jaysus I lost places everytime, made most of them back up going down.

I see someone has moved into pole position for dick head of the year, and its only January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

jamule wrote: »
    Enjoyed Hellfire this morning, great weather for the hills. Have to improve my climbing, jaysus I lost places everytime, made most of them back up going down.

I see someone has moved into pole position for dick head of the year, and its only January.
    I really like Hellfire,short sharp climbs and long descents. Missed the fuss... don’t know what happened there. Some toys being ejected from somebody’s pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Going to my first IMRA tomorrow in Castlecomer part of the Southeast Leinster league

Tricky but fun running conditions at Hellfire yesterday. Very slippery ground on the main climb up and slushy bits to contend with elsewhere. The little hills on each loop can take their toll (they did on me at least). I didn't expect the diverted way to the finish line via fire trail but I guess it was in the interests of safety. Couldn't have runners speeding down the normal route the given the icy conditions.

Tricky but fun running conditions at Hellfire yesterday. Very slippery ground on the main climb up and slushy bits to contend with elsewhere. The little hills on each loop can take their toll (they did on me at least). I didn't expect the diverted way to the finish line via fire trail but I guess it was in the interests of safety. Couldn't have runners speeding down the normal route the given the icy conditions.

those three little uphills on the loop section definitely did enough to jump up the heart rate alright!! I can understand the move to switch the back section to the trail as someone was going to get hurt trying to decent when it was quiet icy but it would of been great if it was mentioned in the briefing, unless it was and i completely missed it.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »

@Jamule i think we are all dying to hear more on this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

@Jamule i think we are all dying to hear more on this!!

Not a good idea to encourage libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

It's only a minor bugbear but should this thread not be in the main forum?

The WWU (for example) would surely (Shirley) be more like an IMRA thread for the sub-forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Peterx wrote: »
    It's only a minor bugbear but should this thread not be in the main forum?

The WWU (for example) would surely (Shirley) be more like an IMRA thread for the sub-forum.

Hear hear, would never have happened back in the day;)

Very welcome news today for all hill runners- EastWestMapping have just released their much-anticipated new 1:25,000 scale maps for Wicklow South and [URL="[url]http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/product/wicklow-south-east-encapsulated/[/url]"]Wicklow South East[/URL] . These are a labour of love and a testament to the great work of Barry. Wicklow South map includes Annagh Hill, and a must for anyone who wants to recce with a map showing the relevant trails and terrain.

Can this thread be moved to the main forum or should we just start a new thread there?

Ticknock this weekend.... not running it myself due to a cold but I will be suitably positioned to take photos of suffering at the top of the bone shaker....say cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Can this thread be moved to the main forum or should we just start a new thread there?

Ticknock this weekend.... not running it myself due to a cold but I will be suitably positioned to take photos of suffering at the top of the bone shaker....say cheese

Thanks for the reminder, I've just signed up. I stupidly missed Hellfire because I got the day wrong doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am running my second imra race Carrigbyrne Hill Southeast League race

really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If I manage to say anything it probably won't be cheese :-)

Being new and very low on knowledge on boards in general how do i move the tread given i set up originally but unsure how to move? I'm sure its a pretty basic fix

• Advertisement

Being new and very low on knowledge on boards in general how do i move the tread given i set up originally but unsure how to move? I'm sure its a pretty basic fix
    Try pm one of the forum mods...

Advertisement