Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2018 NFL Thread

• 18-01-2018 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭

It's about 10 days away so no harm having a discussion

Here is my take on Division 1 at least

I think Dublin will do like they did last year and be willing to sacrifice league success for the purist of another All Ireland.
    They drew games they should have lost last year and lost a game they could have won or drew, that was a new phenomenon. But at the end of the day the focus was on the Championship
    I think the same will happen this year, of course are likely to end up in the top two and could win it all, but don't be too surprised if they put in some less than convincing performances along the way

Kerry need to rebuild, that is clear, so they could have a few bad days out along the way, I would not be surprised if they were in a relegation dog fight, but at the same time could be finalists as they have been for the past two years without having stellar campaigns

Mayo could be the same, missing a few stalwarts and trying out new things could see them searching for points near the end.
    But if they get off to a good start they may make a run at the final.
    From a mayo fan POV I would not say no to them winning it if the winning of it was there, it could help confidence

Monaghan as always will be more prepared for this than the aforementioned two as they usually are, so they could pick up early points to keep them safe, home to Mayo and away to Kildare in the first two games are both winnable

Tyrone will still be smarting after the loss to Dublin in August and I think they will make a strong run at the league to show that they are still to be considered as a top team

Galway, hard to know, opening games home to Tyrone and way to Donegal will be tough, but i think they will play a strong team from the start (like Monagahn) which will help them

Donegal had a good league last year with a young team That team is a year older and I'd expect them to do well, a new manager will help also

Kildare I don't know much about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I think all bar Mayo will be smarting after the manner of their championship exits. Can Monaghan and Donegal give the same to the league this year as they did last year if they want to reach the super 8 and do well once there? Tyrone i feel are developing a panel now that can do well in the league and still reach the All Ireland semi final at least while i feel Div one could be a step too high for Kildare.

Dublin i think will get the required points to reach the final and won't overly impress as they play their panel but once in the final with a near full pick they are unlikely to lose two league finals in a row. Mayo could fall through the trap door this year, have been sailing close to the wind for a few years now, will be without few key players for most of the league and will have more of a focus on Galway in early May than the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think all bar Mayo will be smarting after the manner of their championship exits. Can Monaghan and Donegal give the same to the league this year as they did last year if they want to reach the super 8 and do well once there? Tyrone i feel are developing a panel now that can do well in the league and still reach the All Ireland semi final at least while i feel Div one could be a step too high for Kildare.

Dublin i think will get the required points to reach the final and won't overly impress as they play their panel but once in the final with a near full pick they are unlikely to lose two league finals in a row. Mayo could fall through the trap door this year, have been sailing close to the wind for a few years now, will be without few key players for most of the league and will have more of a focus on Galway in early May than the league.

I'd have genuine fears for us this year. We've carried out many a harry houdini act over the last few years to stay up but we're going to be short quite a few players and as you've said I believe with the super 8s this year there will be an absolute priority given to coming through the front door.Having said all that Stephen Rochford has stated in no uncertain terms he expects us to be competitive.The first game away to Monaghan is a huge game in setting the tone for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think it promises to be a league where cards are played closed to the chest. Due to dublins strenght in depth, they more then likely be knocking around the top two. I'm expecting a similar policy to last year though. Kerry have never treated the league to serious and were lucky to end up in the final. Monaghan or Donegal shot themselves in the foot last year by going for the league, no ammunition left for summer months. Youd expect a more Conservative approach this year i.e. could be similar to the rossies last spring.

Tyrone will be tyrone all guns blazing in league and pre season competition but weather they can do it in summer time when the heat is on remains to be see. I very much doubt it.

Mayo have a lot of injuries probably be a similar campaign to last year, scraping to avoid relegation.

Kildare and Galway could do well, theyll be playing strong teams to avoid relegation, my bet is a dublin/galway final.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd have genuine fears for us this year. We've carried out many a harry houdini act over the last few years to stay up but we're going to be short quite a few players and as you've said I believe with the super 8s this year there will be an absolute priority given to coming through the front door.Having said all that Stephen Rochford has stated in no uncertain terms he expects us to be competitive.The first game away to Monaghan is a huge game in setting the tone for us.

Have to disagree mayo lost to monaghan last year in similar circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway are as bad. Missing the Corofin contingent for a few rounds, plus a few injuries, most notably Ml. Daly, absent for a while also. KW will do well to keep his side in I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I agree and i think that despite what Rochofrd says, the league will not be taken as seriously as previously, everything has to be focused on winning Connacht and thus going to the Super 8 via the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

C__MC wrote: »

Have to disagree mayo lost to monaghan last year in similar circumstances

Disagree. A January game up in Clones, has zero relevance to what takes place in August/September in Croke Park. Especially as Mayo are only back from their holibobs. If a full strength Mayo (or close to it) are handed their arse on a platter in the league final, or in rounds 6 or 7, then maybe it is cause for concern then. But I wouldn't be overly concerned about anything that goes on for the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Disagree. A January game up in Clones, has zero relevance to what takes place in August/September in Croke Park. Especially as Mayo are only back from their holibobs. If a full strength Mayo (or close to it) are handed their arse on a platter in the league final, or in rounds 6 or 7, then maybe it is cause for concern then. But I wouldn't be overly concerned about anything that goes on for the next month or so.

Sorry I think you guys are misconstruing my poorly worded post.

My concerns relate to the national league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

ProudDUB wrote: »

A few Mayo supporters are worried that their proud record of staying in Div 1 is in danger this year. For what its worth i think they will comfortably stay up while the likes of Kerry and Galway will be missing more players than Mayo and then you have Donegal in transition who if not this year will eventually fall back to div 2 and stay there for a few years IMO.

Ah lads c'mon now. Mayo have been in Division One for 20 odd years now. You are comfortably one of the top 2/3 teams in the country, missing players or not. These yearly "woe is me" misgivings about maintaining your Div 1 status, are starting to sound a little hollow, seeing as you are heading into your 3rd decade of unbroken residence up at the top table. It's borderline Kerry yerra-esque. Chillax. Ye'll be grand. You'll be stuck on 2/4 pts for what seems like ages. Cue lots of angst. Then the big guns will return for the later rounds & you'll be fine. You always bleedin' are !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Looking at the other Divisions

Meath,Cork,Roscommon,Tipp will battle it out for promotion to Div 1. Something seems to have gone horribly wrong with Cavan? Down,Clare,Louth will all be delighted to stay up.

In Div 3 its between Armagh,Derry,Westmeath,Fermanagh for the top two spots. Wexford for the drop anyones guess who will join them.

In Div 4 after a decent championship Carlow should be looking to gain promotion and again who will join them will be anyones guess

There is nothing wrong with cavan, they are incredibly average. Thats all

Cork and rossies to get promoted with derry and armagh in division 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So what are peoples thoughts for Division 1 three games in

Dublin
    - Nothing to see here, the'll get to the final with some ease

Kerry
    - Good start for a very young team. I would not call today a setback, they almost got something out of it. But they have been poor enough at the back, let in three v Donegal, two v Mayo and had one cleared off the line. Forwards playing well as always, especially young O' Shea

Mayo
    - Utter tripe, got a sneaky win v Monaghan and sucked ever since, no forwards putting their hands up for inclusion and established one playing poorly, a few marginal guys back in proving to us why they were marginal in the first place. As a Mayo fan I'd like them to give us some bit of confidence this time of year.

Galway
    - Don't be fooled by the un-fancied team that does well in the league because all in shows is that they are more championship ready than the rest of the teams. Galway fit into this category. They are doing very well, are more advanced at this stage than the likes of Mayo or Kerry. A bit like Roscommon a few years ago. I'd read feck all into it.

Tyrone
    - Either they are s**te like they proved to us last August or they are experimenting and paying the price for it. A one point win over Kildare is all they have to show for it, wherever it is.

Monagahan
    - Steady enough as always, tough loss at home v Mayo but good win today v Kerry. Should be safe enough.

Donegal
    - Must be really pissed off, lost by a point with 14 men to Kerry, lost by one v Galway and lost after putting up a good show v Dublin. Things might click for them.

Kildare
    - I'd say they are frigged

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Dublin- Continue to set a ludicrously high standard. Conceding more than Gavin would like but they already look to have added one or two new faces.
    Again.
    Which is frightening.

Galway- The best defence in the division and yet to concede a goal. If someone predicted those stats before the league started you'd wonder what they were smoking and where you could get some. They are missing players and there are still serious questions over the kickout strategy but its gone better than anyone could have expected. If they beat Kerry (a big if) next week then they'll be on course for a league final against Dublin. Where they won't have a chance.

Monaghan- Beating Kerry today will have them looking up the table instead of over their shoulder. A massive game next week against Tyrone. Win that and they'll be on their way to Pearse Stadium with serious final aspirations.

Kerry- Motoring along nicely with a young, inexperienced panel. Today won't set them back much. O Shea looks a very tidy player. Clifford hasn't lived up the hype but thats only because no player in the history of football could have lived up to the hoopla surrounding him. He's obviously a very good player.

Tyrone- Doing a lot more experimenting this year which will stand to them in the summer. The over reaction to the dour nature of their opening game has coloured people's opinions of them but the conditions that day prevented much football being played. I don't see much danger of relegation for them.

Mayo- In a full blown relegation crisis after three games. So what you'd expect really before they run off the winter holiday and bring in all the big guns. They'll probably lose to Dublin next week before stringing a few results together to stay up.

Donegal- Playing a nice brand of football but they are on course for relegation. The fixture list wasn't kind to them but losing to Galway in a game they were fancied to win has them in a tight spot. If POTY was awarded tomorrow then Paddy McBrearty would win.

Kildare- Always going to be tough for them to stay up but they've left two matches after them now and only have themselves to blame for being pointless. Division one will improve them for the summer months but it's hard to see them staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

NFL reaching its conclusion what are peoples view on how things have gone and will go?

Div 1

Galway great league campaign but hard to see Dublin not winning the final in Croke Park
    A flick of a coin on who will be relegated between Donegal and Mayo

Div 2

2 from three in the race for promotion (Roscommon,Tipp,Cavan) between Meath and Down to see who will be relegated with Louth who have found life very tough in Div 2

Div 3

Armagh promoted looks like Longford will join them. Wexford relegated Offaly will likely join them.

Div 4

Carlow promoted with Laois to likely join them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Derry have gone from division 1 to 4 in four years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

There's still a very very slight chance that Cork could be relegated to division 3 but they would need a very unlikely set of results (Down to beat Tipp by 12 points and Meath to draw with Louth).
    Division 2 is a bit bananas. Clare will possibly finish third yet they were easily the worst team we've faced so far (though Down ran them close). Down beat Roscommon and we threw the game away against them in Dr. Hyde yet they're promoted.

That's some fall for Derry. And great news for Carlow. First time their footballers have played in Croker since 2011 if I remember correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Derry have gone from division 1 to 4 in four years

Division 1 final*

Remarkable

Anyone know if we are in year one or year two of the league scheduling cycle? Am trying to figure out our home and away fixtures for next year.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Patww79 wrote: »
    Goes to show how little the GAA care about teams outside the top tier. Had Meath lost last weekend and Tipp beaten Cavan, they would have cancelled those remaining games as well.
    Hope Laois, Waterford and Wicklow look for compensation from the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Occasion getting to Carlow early on but growing into it. Think Laois will win handy though. Carlow are very gung ho with their opportunities.

Super score from Brendan Murphy just there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fantastic point that from Carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

anyone got a season ticket I could use for tomorrow's finals?

I want to bring my old man up the game but €30 is a bit steep for him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Patww79 wrote: »
    Bit ropey if the story is true about the Laois player picking himself up a fractured skull in Carlow last night. That said though, details are light on the ground at this stage so you wouldn't know the full story behind it.

Legit alright. He's in a bad way too according to breakingnews.ie
    Hope the lowlifes get caught.

• Advertisement
Advertisement