Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomb Raider (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Goodshape wrote: »
    Actually it fits very well. A lowly bike courier becomes a kick-ass adventurer. That's fairytale privileged white girl stuff.

Not that I think this film needs criticising for it. I'm just saying :)

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Some of the bits reminded me of Iron Fist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

video game comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

pixelburp wrote: »
    At the same time, the same article's comments have pretty much leapt on what was obviously a kneejerk 'outrage' piece from someone without any obvious experience or knowledge of the source material.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to it; The Guardian is a fine newspaper that does a lot of good work & investigative journalism, but you can spot their blatantly trolling, pearl-clutching screeds a mile off. Real anti-Daily Mail stuff, perfect for sharing on FB.

The Guardian is still my go to online resource and I thoroughly enjoy the work of their columnists such as Marina Hyde, but I've just found a lot of their arts related opinion pieces to be as you suggest, increasingly provocative.....claiming issue where there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well the trailer did nothing for me, but I tend to hate excessive CGI in action sequences.
    Just because it's based on a video game doesn't mean the action needs to feel like a video game cut scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A better trailer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

A better trailer this time.

That actually looks very decent! I reckon I might go see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Pretty good looking trailer. Imagine the conversations in the Vikander/Fassbender household - one did Assassin's Creed, the other this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She looks like a better Lara than pouty-lips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It actually looks half-decent, and already much better than the monumental idiocy of those previous Tomb Raider films. I hope Walter Goggins has a chance to shine as he is a pretty magnetic presence in most appearances.

The action scenes do look a little too fake mind you, and none of them particularly groundbreaking either: I'm a big critic generally of his work, but were this a Tom Cruise film you absolutely know he'd have a prop airplane built over a waterfall & perform the stunt himself. It often makes all the difference in these sort of scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looks like it's been heavily inspired by the more recent Tomb Raider games written by Rhianna Pratchett, which is a fantastic thing.

I honestly don't know much about Alicia Vikander, but she looks to be great for the part.

Walter Goggins is always fantastic and makes any movie or show he's in instantly better.

fluke wrote: »
    Pretty good looking trailer. Imagine the conversations in the Vikander/Fassbender household - one did Assassin's Creed, the other this.

Won't be hard for hers to be more successful than his.
    She was supposed to be in Assassins Creed too, if I remember correctly. She dropped out to do something else, this possibly? Or maybe it was Bourne, not sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It looks okay if visually very bland. I still say if they wanted to emulate the game reboot this should have been R-rated with a horror atmosphere. And like her game counterpart, Lara should have been more vulnerable since this is her first adventure. Without those elements you are left with the weakest part of the game - the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks okay if visually very bland. I still say if they wanted to emulate the game reboot this should have been R-rated with a horror atmosphere. And like her game counterpart, Lara should have been more vulnerable since this is her first adventure. Without those elements you are left with the weakest part of the game - the story.

Indeed, but it says a lot that 'OK but bland' will make this film arguably the best Game Adaptation ever made - the bar is pretty low here :P

I think Silent Hill was probably one of the few game adaptations that had something resembling the spark of creativity and vision, married with the source material. Uh, apart from Mario Bros. that is :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Indeed, but it says a lot that 'OK but bland' will make this film arguably the best Game Adaptation ever made - the bar is pretty low here :P

I think Silent Hill was probably one of the few game adaptations that had something resembling the spark of creativity and vision, married with the source material. Uh, apart from Mario Bros. that is :D

Is this a good time to mention that I like the Resident Evil films?

Is this a good time to mention that I like the Resident Evil films?

Oh good professor, there's is NEVER a good time to mention one likes the Resident Evil films ;)

Getting average reviews. The curse of video game movies continues....

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/tomb-raider

Really enjoyed it. It won't win any awards, but it was very entertaining and held my interest. A huge improvement over the Angelina movies.

Alicia Vikander was excellent as Lara and she was in incredible shape.

Good good movie. I really liked it.

(Just as a counterpoint, a friend who went with me was wondering how Dominic West got roped into doing it, so he was less impressed) :)

Mr E wrote: »

(Just as a counterpoint, a friend who went with me was wondering how Dominic West got roped into doing it, so he was less impressed) :)

99% sure Dominic West is in an advert on TV for something at the moment, so Tomb Raider may well be a highpoint of his career at present. ;)

EDIT: It's a Dolmio ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Went last night and liked it. The story follows a lot of the last game release. Way better than Angelina versions.

Action is good. 3D was utterly pointless. I noticed a frame rate drop in places for a few moments. She looks well, is believable, story is not bad, effects are generally good, except for helicopter at end (I'll say no more so it doesn't spoil movie).

Lucazade ad gives too much away which gives you the depth of the story but it's still ok for an action movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The very definition of mediocrity. A dreadful, clunky excuse of a film with a script that was pulled out of someone's hole the night before shooting began.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Saw it this evening. It is boring. Not a patch on something like jumanji. Not as bad as Tom Cruise's The Mummy.
    She can do the action scenes well enough. A bit of MMA. Also she is not superhuman in it. She does get hurt.
    It attempts to set up another franchise. They are going to need more material than this. You won't miss much by waiting to stream it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The very definition of mediocrity. A dreadful, clunky excuse of a film with a script that was pulled out of someone's hole the night before shooting began.

That's what the trailer seemed to suggest anyway.
    I believe the script is very close to the 2013 Tomb Raider game, which was itself pure McGuffin nonsense. At least that has the excuse of being a videogame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thoroughly enjoyed this tonight (non 3D). The action scenes are strong and Alicia Vikander is an inspiring female action hero. (She’s in incredible shape for this). The fights and effort feels real, and she can act. It’s still a video game adaptation, but it’s far better than the Angelina Jolie versions.

Great to see Daniel Wu from Into the Badlands too. He gives a decent account in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thought it was a solid 3/5 movie and enjoyed most of it.

It's basically Indiana Jones -Raiders of the lost arc for the last hour though!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed and want to see the sequel now a great popcorn film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Seen it yesterday, very enjoyable, particularly the first half, Vikander did a excellent job and was very likable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Wasn't nearly as awful as I imagined it being, I really enjoyed it in fact. Alicia Vikander's British accent is woeful still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved it I hope it does well enough for a sequel

Advertisement