Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleet and snow showers - Thursday to Saturday morning (18th - 20th)

• 18-01-2018 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭

Mainly in the west and north.

Showers turning wintry by dawn this morning. Sleet and snow showers from later this afternoon.

Accumulations likely tonight in the west, north and midlands. 2 - 4 cm generally, more on high ground. Less further east as showers will be lighter, more scattered here.

Always likely to be more mixed in southwest Munster and on immediate windward Atlantic coasts.

Elsewhere some places could remain dry but could also get a dusting pretty much anywhere.

Somewhat less windy than recently so increased risk of icy patches and some frost inland. Overnight lows of -1c - +2c

Rinse and repeat for Friday and Friday night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

i saw that on the beeb - fingers crossed!! xD ❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes they show plenty of white blobs on their radar over Ireland tomorrow. I see Scotland has issued a do not drive warning till dawn tomorrow.
    Some people in Scotland and the Northern Ireland might be happy it will get milder after Sunday, but not before another possible frontal snow event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Met Eireann have a yellow warning for this morning that I don't really understand. I'll leave it to one of the moderators to decide whether to include.

Early afternoon onward is the safer bet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Eireann have a yellow warning for this morning that I don't really understand.

Wintry showers will give snow accumulations of 0 to 3 cm this morning, mainly on high ground.

Yellow warning for 0cm accumulations! :eek::confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Heavy snow shower at the moment, huge flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wintry showers will give snow accumulations of 0 to 3 cm this morning, mainly on high ground.

Yellow warning for 0cm accumulations! :eek::confused::p
    Criteria for Yellow for Snow:
    3. Snow/Ice Scattered snow showers giving accumulations of less than 3 cm below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation improving.

Met Eireann have been very consistent with their warnings based on the criteria, there is a thread where I can said the criteria may need to change but based on the system in place at present they are being consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Anything for the Clare or Limerick area ?
    Mostly sleep and hail really.

Heavy snow shower at the moment, huge flakes.

You'll do well out of this :pac:

Anything for the Clare or Limerick area ?
    Mostly sleep and hail really.

Probably wrong side of marginal for Clare. More rain, sleet. Better chance for Limerick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Gerry here to crush all hopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I've seen worse than the euro 04 this morning (albeit its somewhat out on its own....)

6pm today...

18011818_1800.gif

Midnight...

18011900_1800.gif

6am tomorrow

18011906_1800.gif

Noon tomorrow

18011912_1800.gif

Lying snow by 9am tomorrow morning...

18011909_1800.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I know this is the weather forum and i know ye lot love this.....but jaysus id love an auld dry day :(

dashoonage wrote: »
    I know this is the weather forum and i know ye lot love this.....but jaysus id love an auld dry day :(

That's weather of a sort too I suppose!

Upgraded title on new Met Eireann advisory

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Continued risk of scattered snow showers. The showers most frequent in Ulster and Connacht.

Issued:Thursday 18 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:Thursday 18 January 2018 10:00 to Friday 19 January 2018 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some wintry precipitation blowing over in the last heavy shower in Galway City.
    Some faint mammatus on the back of it too.
    Temp moving between 2.5 - 3.5 with the passing showers.

Temps are dropping and both Knock and Finner are reporting recent snow I note.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk sunny but cold at present. No rain, no snow. Breezy. Cooley mountains have some snow, Slieve Gullion (south Aramgh but only outside town) covered in snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

sorry my ignorance, but what are "snow showers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick has seen passing rain showers and hail, interspersed with sunny intervals.

Light wind is raw

I've seen worse than the euro 04 this morning (albeit its somewhat out on its own....)

6pm today...

18011818_1800.gif

Midnight...

18011900_1800.gif

6am tomorrow

18011906_1800.gif

Noon tomorrow

18011912_1800.gif

Lying snow by 9am tomorrow morning...

18011909_1800.gif

Just to say the 6z Euro 04 is very similar to the above still. 6z GFS not without its charms either...

30-574UK.GIF?18-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Very heavy hail here about a hour ago plus sleet. Bitterly cold in the wind.

Rivers and streams full to top of bank with standing water in fields. Not sure how much more precipitation we can take before there is serious localised flooding.

130 m asl

North Cork /Limerick Tipperary border

Edit: 2.45pm outdoor temp registering at 2.5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

sorry my ignorance, but what are "snow showers"?

Showers of snow I presume:).
    Bright and cold here in south Cavan, lots of snow visible still on the higher hills and cuilcaghs, but all gone here.
    Can see showers passing to the north and west but we've had none as yet, don't know what form of precipitation they are.
    Currently 3° in a slight but cutting breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

5.5 degrees (car) in Naas. Tends to be alarmingly accurate.

Big drops in temp needed.

Would imagine it’s even warmer in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

4.6C in D14 at the moment, had a few grains of snow/graupel blowing in the wind at about 1pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this could be more of a classic north-westerly. I am not expecting anything like what happened on Tuesday. Sunny here for most of the day and ground starting to dry up after last night's rain.

Showers on the radar are having a tough time making it past the Shannon. Very few showers have so far made it into Leinster with the exception of county Louth, Kilkenny and Laois/Offaly. Maybe we will have more luck later on if showers become more organised.

Mixture of hail/graupel in the last shower.

Dashcam still from an intense double rainbow on the way out the Monivea Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Very strange sky at the moment in Co Limerick/Cork border. Really bright?

Again i would question the accuracy of the Netweather radar "weather type" feature.
    It currently shows snow over Galway Bay.
    Does it work off forecasted data or locally measured data? I must look it up myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Again i would question the accuracy of the Netweather radar "weather type" feature.
    It currently shows snow over Galway Bay.
    Does it work off forecasted data or locally measured data? I must look it up myself...

A combination of both supposedly. There's a paragraph at the bottom of the page radar page.

"The weather type detection uses a combination of hi-resolution model data, along with ground observations to show whether rain, sleet, snow, hail or freezing rain is falling. It's an excellent guide, but bear in mind that in very localised situations some variation may occur. "

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    A combination of both supposedly. There's a paragraph at the bottom of the page radar page.

"The weather type detection uses a combination of hi-resolution model data, along with ground observations to show whether rain, sleet, snow, hail or freezing rain is falling. It's an excellent guide, but bear in mind that in very localised situations some variation may occur. "

Cheers, guess I never had to scroll that far.

Advertisement