Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Bowe to retire at end of season

• 15-01-2018 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭

At his best he was awesome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

One of my favourite ever players. Hope he makes it back for a few more outings. Brilliant servant for Irish rugby and wish him well in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

One of the best players around in his prime. It's such a shame that his latter years were ruined by injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's a shame. He deserves more of a lap of honour.

It's very rare that Ireland produce a winger who can genuinely be called one of the best in the world but Bowe 2008 - 2013 was exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've a horrible feeling that we won't see him on a pitch again. Such a great player and had some massive days for Ulster and Ireland. At least he won't be retiring empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You’d have to feel sorry for him the way the last few years have gone, but he was in his pomp, one of the best wingers we have ever produced. Right decision given all the injuries, hopefully he gets a run out in the Ravenspan so the Ulster fans can see him off.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm 27 years old now so I've been following rugby since I've been about 10 years old. In those 17 years there has been no finer back 3 player than Bowe. Better than Hickie,Dempsey, Horgan, Earls etc. They haven't come close. In fact I'd say he's up there with PoC and BoD as one of the best players we've ever seen in the professional era.

Thanks for everything Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

One of the best wingers ever for Ireland. Nailed on starter when at the peak of his powers.

Sheer physicality combined with speed and skill.

Some great moments including one of the all time great tries for Ireland.

Great servant to Ulster rugby also.

Thanks for everything big man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sad news.....but he's already started his celeb career, we'll be seeing plenty more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

One of Ireland's greatest ever poets.

Not too bad at rugby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

A great servant to Ulster and Ireland, undeniably world class in his prime. It was always a pleasure watching him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Best Irish winger of the modern era IMO, a real pleasure to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Superb player , he will be missed! Unfortunately with injuries this was on the cards the last while. Think of the 2009 team, after this season it will only be Rob Kearney and Donncha O'Callaghan left. Stringer was a sub and he's just hung up the boots. End of an era in a way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fond memories of that for me it was my first year with the oh and the game was on his birthday, I listened to it in the car on the way to a show.

Great player, sad to see him go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Eod100 wrote: »
    Superb player , he will be missed! Unfortunately with injuries this was on the cards the last while. Think of the 2009 team, after this season it will only be Rob Kearney and Donncha O'Callaghan left. Stringer was a sub and he's just hung up the boots. End of an era in a way.

Heaslip was at 8. Rory Best was on the bench. Think there were 5 or 6 others in the squad named for the tournament that year who are still knocking around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Heaslip was at 8. Rory Best was on the bench. Think there were 5 or 6 others in the squad named for the tournament that year who are still knocking around

Yup you're right! Missed them. I was only looking at squad from Grand Slam match against Wales so bound to miss a few.

If this is right there's also Donnacha Ryan, Johnny Sexton, Keith Earls and Darren Cave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Six_Nations_Championship_squads#Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yup you're right! Missed them. I was only looking at squad from Grand Slam match against Wales so bound to miss a few.

If this is right there's also Donnacha Ryan, Johnny Sexton, Keith Earls and Darren Cave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Six_Nations_Championship_squads#Ireland

I don't think they count. They didn't feature at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Clegg wrote: »
    In those 17 years there has been no finer back 3 player than Bowe

i despair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doc is retiring at the end of the season too. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A shame to lose such an angelic voice. Surprised he wasn't asked to perform at Shane MacGowan's 60th this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From Gerry Thornley’s piece today...

“It was one of 30 tries in just 69 caps for his country, a brilliant strike rate indeed, and leaves him second only to some bloke called O’Driscoll in the list of Ireland’s all-time leading try scorers.

The numbers are impressive. In 169 games for Ulster so far he has scored 62 tries, second only to Andrew Trimble, added to which there were 29 tries in 66 games during his four-year sojourn with the Ospreys from 2008 to 2012.

He is the Pro14’s all-time leading try scorer, with 67 in 169 games, and his haul of 29 tries in 66 European Cup games places him fourth in that all-time list. There were also five tries in 10 games on the Lions tours of 2009 to South Africa, when he was one of the players of the tour, and 2013, including five Tests. In total therefore, that’s 250 first-class games and 131 tries to date for Ulster, the Ospreys, Ireland and the Lions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Possibly one of the most underrated players we've had in the last decade or so. Genuinely one of if not the best winger in Europe for a good while.

I had no recollection he was with the Ospreys for so long, 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Always been a big fan of Tommy. What a servant to Irish rugby! I really hope he manages to get back on the pitch before the end of the season - it would be a sad end to a great career if he didn't get a really good send off in a last game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bought one of his coats recently. Didn't think it'd be going to the retirement fund so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭phog

I've always been a huge fan of Tommy's, super player, always a threat and played with a smile of his face.

It's sad that injury plagued him towards the end of his career.

Best of Luck Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

https://twitter.com/ghook/status/953006867705364481

I think George Hook just admitted he was wrong about something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

An open letter from Tommy:
    As the saying goes, time stands still for no man (or sportsman). And so, 14 years on from signing my first professional contract with Ulster Rugby, I feel very fortunate to be able to say this will be my final season, wrote Bowe.

I could never have imagined the career professional rugby has given me and I am so grateful to my close friends, family and agent Ryan Constable for their incredible support throughout the highs and lows. My beautiful wife Lucy has been my rock and little daughter Emma my newest inspiration.

I want to thank everyone involved in Ulster Rugby, the Ospreys, Ireland and the British and Irish Lions for giving me the chance to live a dream I never thought possible. I'd also like to thank all those at Royal School Armagh, Queen's University and Monaghan RFC minis, where it all began.

To my teammates; the bond of going out onto the field together and the most special feeling in a changing room after a win are what I am going to treasure in the last few months as I will miss them most. I've met some incredible people and made friends that will hopefully last a lifetime.

Lastly to you - the supporters - thank you for your backing throughout my career. From my singing Black Velvet Band (never again I promise!) to your continued messages of kindness and unwavering support, despite my injuries in latter years, I am eternally grateful.

Who knows what the future will hold...

Definitely not singing!

Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

As a foreigner, I obviously don't hold Bowe in the same esteem as Irish fans. However I would say he was probably the best Irish winger I've seen. Maybe Horgan was better but I didn't see much of him at his peak. Possibly Earls but my view of him is tarnished by his appearances at centre and I have felt his effort/commitment has at times been questionable. I think Stockdale could surpass them all.

Bowe always gave 100%, had a good rugby brain and was as good on defence as attack and seemed to be enjoying himself. It's a shame that some of his best years were in Wales.

Advertisement