Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 BDO World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

peteeeed wrote: »
    Durrant says he’s 100% staying , good non move as he wouldn’t stand a chance in the PDC

You didn't catch the Grand Slam of darts no?

Cant remember the last time Whitlock, Price, Wade, Lewis, Huybrechts, well most of the PDC top 16 averaged 100 in a world championship game.
    Enlighten me ?

Clueless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What a game of darts! :D

I was convinced it would go to sudden death there for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thought it was a very enjoyable tournament overall. Standard isn't the same as PDC but just as much drama imo. Hope it continues on tv for all the part timers and far flung players still plugging away in the BDO.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I'm a little behind here lads,I had to record the end, to let the young lad watch,paw patrol, before bed.I think he will have weeks of little to no sleep ahead of him over the next few weeks.3 missed darts, to be crowned, the (b)world champion,fluffed.,Painfull stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

minty16 wrote: »

Cant remember the last time Whitlock, Price, Wade, Lewis, Huybrechts, well most of the PDC top 16 averaged 100 in a world championship game.
    Enlighten me ?

Clueless.

A quick check on Wikipedia will tell you that 8 out of the 16 going into the PDC worlds got 100+ averages this year. One of them was Price. Lewis and Wade are in terminal decline but there are a lot of others outside the top 16 who scored 100+ averages.

• Advertisement

A quick check on Wikipedia will tell you that 8 out of the 16 going into the PDC worlds got 100+ averages this year. One of them was Price. Lewis and Wade are in terminal decline but there are a lot of others outside the top 16 who scored 100+ averages.

I said 'in a world championship game'
    There are very few players in history that have averaged 100 in a best of 9 sets game.
    Massive difference to doing it over 6 legs , if you had a clue about darts you would realise that before dismissing a player of Durrants quality so easily.

I said 'in a world championship game'
    There are very few players in history that have averaged 100 in a best of 9 sets game.
    Massive difference to doing it over 6 legs , if you had a clue about darts you would realise that before dismissing a player of Durrants quality so easily.

I don't know why you are being so defensive. I never mentioned Durrant, I was responding only to your statement about 100+ averages. I wasn't referring to 6 leg games, I was talking about games in this years PDC world championship, minimum best of 5 sets.

Don't try to tell me I know nothing about darts, I've been watching since the 80's.

I don't know why you are being so defensive. I never mentioned Durrant, I was responding only to your statement about 100+ averages. I wasn't referring to 6 leg games, I was talking about games in this years PDC world championship, minimum best of 5 sets.

Don't try to tell me I know nothing about darts, I've been watching since the 80's.

Sorry the initial Durrant statement wasnt made by yourself.:D
    How do you think he would do in the PDC out of interest ?

I would have Glen down as better than half of the premier league line up this year. The orignal poster said he wouldn't stand a chance.
    I didnt think Price had a 101 average to be fair :D
    But not many are capable over a long format.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Condescending posts are really childish lads, we all love the darts,we all know the pdc is levels above the bdo, I just hope there is a bdo in a few years.

For me durrant on top form is a top 16 pdc player, better than huybrevts/whitlock/dolan types..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭munster87

I'd have him in premier league ahead of Whitlock at least

• Advertisement

Sorry the initial Durrant statement wasnt made by yourself.:D
    How do you think he would do in the PDC out of interest ?

I would have Glen down as better than half of the premier league line up this year. The orignal poster said he wouldn't stand a chance.
    I didnt think Price had a 101 average to be fair :D
    But not many are capable over a long format.

Hard to say but I'd see him in the top 16, on the fringes of the top 10. Bunting is an example of what can go wrong when he seemed to be set for success so it's hard to know for sure. I would see Durrant more in the mold of Norris who I believe is now in the top 16.

munster87 wrote: »

He's only in there for the international audience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

great final , great to watch , poor standard but it added to viewing!
    who says its just pdc crowds that puts people off when throwing?

durrant played bad and won , hes better than that
    playing a better player he was bet

chris mason is some man for giving abuse on twitter
    i duno how he watched the final with all the tweets he sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

munster87 wrote: »
    +1,whitlock,in my opinion,shouldn't be any where near the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Are you slow, 99% of players drink before games in BDO and PDC. You just don't see it on Sky

Such a made up percentage.

Enlighten me ?

Clueless.

Lewis averaged over 100 last year.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Durrant caked his pants tonight at the thought of going back to back but luck was on his side and he pulled it out of the bag once McGeeney missed the three match darts.

He has the potential to improve in the PDC and be a top 6 player but we said that about a lot of players who didn't improve over there. You have to be unbelievably consistent or win a big one to reach those levels.

I think he would reach a Bunting or Norris level of top 16-20 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's not fair. Why is Whitlock keeping that armadillo tied to his head? He should do the decent thing and release it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

mdwexford wrote: »
    Durrant caked his pants tonight at the thought of going back to back but luck was on his side and he pulled it out of the bag once McGeeney missed the three match darts.

He has the potential to improve in the PDC and be a top 6 player but we said that about a lot of players who didn't improve over there. You have to be unbelievably consistent or win a big one to reach those levels.

I think he would reach a Bunting or Norris level of top 16-20 or so.

I couldn't for the life of me see Durrant being a top 6 player in the PDC.
    More like you say somewhere in the top 15-20 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

sc86 wrote: »
    great final , great to watch , poor standard but it added to viewing!
    who says its just pdc crowds that puts people off when throwing?

durrant played bad and won , hes better than that
    playing a better player he was bet

chris mason is some man for giving abuse on twitter
    i duno how he watched the final with all the tweets he sent

Don't do twatter what was that loon Mason banging on about?

TbL

jamie hughes and daryl fitton entered q school

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

jamie hughes and daryl fitton entered q school

Is there any entry list onine somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Kingp35 wrote: »

Are you thinking of giving it a crack?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Are you thinking of giving it a crack?

Too early for me, my 70's average won't trouble too many players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Full list on the PDPA website king.

A good few Irish gone this year

Fair play to all the BDO lads giving it a crack this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Too early for me, my 70's average won't trouble too many players!

Get it up by another 10 and who knows.

Mardle was saying on Twitter a while back that a mid 80s average will usually get a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Get it up by another 10 and who knows.

Mardle was saying on Twitter a while back that a mid 80s average will usually get a card.

A card is about all it will get. Unless you are consistently in the 90's you wont make any TV tournaments and will spend your life going to the crappy tour events to try cover expenses at best.

millhouse wrote: »
    A card is about all it will get. Unless you are consistently in the 90's you wont make any TV tournaments and will spend your life going to the crappy tour events to try cover expenses at best.

I know ya, a tour of leisure centres in some of Britain's most grim cities.

Tough life for anyone ranked down towards the bottom of the Order of Merit.

Making next to nothing and faced with considerable expenses. Then you get dropped by your sponsor and go under.

i see the 4 lads that won tour cards on first day last year made 10k between them last year lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

i see the 4 lads that won tour cards on first day last year made 10k between them last year lol

How many events did they play though? The likes of Steve Lennon, and Richard North did fairly OK for there first year.

• Advertisement

Can't believe Tony O'Shea is going this year, hes 56 .

Fair play to him for taking the gamble though. I believe he's one of the few full time professionals on the BDO circuit. I met him one night at an exhibition, lovely man.

Fitton is up there in age also. 55

Advertisement