Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It seems Irish immigration are no longer renewing American visas

• 14-01-2018 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I heard from American friends who are studying here that many American students visas will not be renewed and should they choose to stay, they will be deported. At first it seemed like a bit crazy but I have spoken to 7 American students with the same issue. These are people who have studied here and are in their final semester before graduation. I don't think this is a good idea. Poor national investment into universities means that universities are dependent on the higher fees that non-EU international students are paying, as we saw with UCD quite recently. To alienate the next generation of college-educated Americans from the EU seems like a terrible idea also. It also strikes me as unusual that as the Irish Government is trying to secure legal status for undocumented Irish immigrants that this is running in the background.

As previously mentioned, these people are entering their final semester. They only need their visas extended for another six months and they have already payed 30,000 euro in fees so far. No temporary measure has been made. That is unfair.

Is there any sort of avenue open for these people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't you need 90 days out for every 90 days in?

They won't be allowed study on a visa-waiver holiday entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Elemonator wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, these people are entering their final semester. They only need their visas extended for another six months and they have already payed 30,000 euro in fees so far. No temporary measure has been made. That is unfair.

The specific people should seek legal advice. Re: the unfairness, the policy is reasonably clear that students can be given up to 7 years permission in aggregate on non-english/irish-laguage approved courses:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20-%20Students

Advertisement