Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Honestly, time spent going though this whole thread would be time well spent.

We are not permitted to discuss details but there will be role plays and some written exercises. They give you more info after you pass IST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

Thanks Homer, I probably should have just gotten off my arse and got reading anyway! Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

Am I right in thinking the PSNI AC is different from mainland forces ? Just checking as all online information, apart from here seems to be tailored towards these forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Razor3677 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the PSNI AC is different from mainland forces ? Just checking as all online information, apart from here seems to be tailored towards these forces.
    The PSNI one consists of role plays and then usually a written part.

This is part I'm most worried about too as I've failed past 2 times at A.C.

Razor3677 wrote: »

Same basic competencies and behaviours but yes different to mainland.
    It used to be similar but changed a number of years ago. Big difference is no interview.

Be very careful with any books or courses offering PSNI recruitment coaching. They are usually the same as English forces but with PSNI pasted in place.

• Advertisement

DonutSquad wrote: »
    Thanks Homer, I probably should have just gotten off my arse and got reading anyway! Haha.

Hope I didn't come across as rude but you will find loads of info. Same with PCA and other threads.

Maybe not as far back as 2008, start around 2013 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DonutSquad

Not at all Homer, appreciate any and all input. Definitely think it'll be worth me jumping into the middle as you suggest though. I read the first 15 pages this morning and realised it'd take me about a fortnight to get through the whole lot! Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Having gone through the process before using both i'd bin them and find a tutor.

Having gone through the process before using both i'd bin them and find a tutor.
    I just though it would help with the a.c. role plays. I've got through to it twice and never got by that stage unfortunately. So want as much helo as possible lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

If you know anybpdy currently in the police they'll be the best to help you there because you know and I know what those roleplays are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Time to tackle this together boys

• Registered Users Posts: 9 the_accountant

What approach to prep do the experienced guys on here recommend? It’s 8 years since I last attempted (and failed) the AC and I’m bricking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

KN1231999 wrote: »

And girls *. Will be good to get it over early

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

What approach to prep do the experienced guys on here recommend? It’s 8 years since I last attempted (and failed) the AC and I’m bricking it.

See to be honest they are providing a lot of info on the email for us to work on,

Accountability, courtesy...... and so on, that's almost your targets for that day, aslong you do a good bit of research on the behaviours they are looking from us, and how you can then show them on the day your strengths.

There are lots of video's on YouTube with ex cops giving you examples of certain role plays, so look them up aswell.

takodah wrote: »

And girls *. Will be good to get it over early
    Yep, shouldn't be too long till we're sitting waiting on AC results then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slimmboyfat

Hi ,

Can anyone recommend any potential AC tutors?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Does anybody know if we can take note books into the AC role plays and take down notes during it?

Does anybody know if we can take note books into the AC role plays and take down notes during it?
    I would like to know this too

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

You're provided with a work book on the day and believe me you won't have one second spare to write any notes. The whole thing moves with military precision.

One bit of advice though when you get back to the car when it's over write down EVERYTHING you can remember from the experience. I was lucky to pass first time but these notes will be so valuable for those who don't pass as you'll be able to compare them against Deloittes feedback when the results come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

You're provided with a work book on the day and believe me you won't have one second spare to write any notes. The whole thing moves with military precision.

One bit of advice though when you get back to the car when it's over write down EVERYTHING you can remember from the experience. I was lucky to pass first time but these notes will be so valuable for those who don't pass as you'll be able to compare them against Deloittes feedback when the results come out.

Great advice thanks! Does the note books they provide you with does delloitte take them back and use them for marking your score as well or are they just to help us with no effect on the score? Is there negative marking in the AC as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

From what I can remember baring in mind it was 2 years ago now since I done mines, is that all notes you take are included in the work booklet however so is your final written summary (someone can correct me if i've remembered that wrong) so yeah all paperwork is left behind.

And from memory there is nothing you could be negatively marked on so that's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Great advice thanks! Does the note books they provide you with does delloitte take them back and use them for marking your score as well or are they just to help us with no effect on the score? Is there negative marking in the AC as well?

Are your plans marked AFAIK? But your actual notes aren't that you take.

I would like to know this too
    No they have paper for you to make rough notes. Which also has to be handed in at the end of the AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

Does the IST re-sit affect your score or is it purely for validation purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

TW2017 wrote: »
    Does the IST re-sit affect your score or is it purely for validation purposes?

This was answered in the recruitment 2017 thread, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I’m going to put this out here. It’s 2018 10 years since the first AC posts on this thread. Instead of reading though 300+ pages espixaly for those who are new why don’t we bump this thread. So that people know when you ask a question you can say “go to page ...” rather than “it’s posted before in this thread.

I have seen lots of advice on acronyms and using the psni values etc in the AC. for those who know all this can we bump this thread and start now from tbis page?

Just a thought,
    Don’t hate the player, hate the game lol.

The last 7 pages of this is mostly people talking about their scores, freedom of info requests etc and no real
    AC tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roboturnip

AC coming up soon, and the nerves are kicking in. Done it twice before, think that makes it worse 😂

Just want it over and done with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

takodah wrote: »
    I’m going to put this out here. It’s 2018 10 years since the first AC posts on this thread. Instead of reading though 300+ pages espixaly for those who are new why don’t we bump this thread. So that people know when you ask a question you can say “go to page ...” rather than “it’s posted before in this thread.

I have seen lots of advice on acronyms and using the psni values etc in the AC. for those who know all this can we bump this thread and start now from tbis page?

Just a thought,
    Don’t hate the player, hate the game lol.

The last 7 pages of this is mostly people talking about their scores, freedom of info requests etc and no real
    AC tips.
    In fairness, the AC doesnt change THAT much. Yes, the scenario is different, but the skills they are looking for are all the same. Everything posted here is still relevant, it'll just take a bit more hunting to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

HI all, 
    Just a general AC query - how do people find the timing of certain parts of the day? Do they feel they had too much time for one task and not enough for others? I know the role-plays are 5 mins each? but not sure how much time they give you for other parts like Action Plans and Report Writing. Do they give you a warning or anything to say "you've got 30 secs to finish up"?
    Also, is there anywhere to leave handbags etc. on the day?
    Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

Koph89 wrote: »
    HI all, 
    Just a general AC query - how do people find the timing of certain parts of the day? Do they feel they had too much time for one task and not enough for others? I know the role-plays are 5 mins each? but not sure how much time they give you for other parts like Action Plans and Report Writing. Do they give you a warning or anything to say "you've got 30 secs to finish up"?
    Also, is there anywhere to leave handbags etc. on the day?
    Thanks so much :)

Everything will be explained in detail over and over and OVER again on the day of your assessment so do you not be stressing, unfortunately we cannot say anything more than that, but yes you have a place to leave your handbag lol

Advertisement